3DCoat Forums

zbrush 4.4

• Advanced Member
That insert mesh in zbrush, does it produce triangles when connecting unequal number of polys on either object?

Yes, it does produces triangles. However, you can sculpt on such a mesh. Qremesher will autoretopo fast. It will autoretopo parts of it as well. Magic.

Why all these when having dynamesh? Try to watch videos carefully and you'll have the answer. A great solution for merging open meshes.

• Advanced Member

Javis, I already found some minor bugs.

Testing QRemesher: It works much better than 3dcoat autopo but fails on sharper hard surfacing modeling. 3dcoat is better in this case. Of course, autopo isn't the appropriate approach on such cases. Just saying.

Try a basic cube. 3dc autopo is much better.

These are tools that we have to master them. Takes some time. 3DC autopo for instance. I managed some kind of workaround that produces good results, using density and guides. I recollect some posts where users insist that autopo works better without guides or density tool. I don't agree.

• Advanced Member

@randomguy_j

Rather impossible, they will never do this. IMO They love it. I loved it (after some years of hating it)

Meanwhile a new tutorial on topology new brush, here

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/Topology/#topology-brush-accessories

(topology brush accessories video)

I'm deeply impressed by this tutorial.

• Advanced Member

I hope 3DCoat recovers soon liveclay development.

The last ZB release is great but...

ZB4r4, as always, obliged to proceed for subsequent steps too (in order from the coarse shape to fine shape) while the logic of the liveclay, for example in Sculptris, is that you can sculpt very small details already at the beginning of the sculpture and dynamically modify it all.

Even on relatively less powerful computers.

The technology Dynamesh + Qremesher, is more complicated and less natural and easy, stress PC and increases the processing time.

The truth is that it would be great if the option ReProject Dynamesh was fast and efficient, in that case you could work fast with a cube of 500k, but unfortunately it is not: it is very slow and stress CPU.

Working with high dynamesh resolution without reproject is faster but under approximately 500 cube resolution you lose detail.

One of the ZB weak point is very slow reproject in dynamesh process.

And I do not know if they can improve it without enhance hardware power.

Pixologic persists for now to continue on the old way, and introduces new tools and tools but based on his old technology (superb of course), but everything would be much easier if they refine Sculptris tecnhnology and integrated in ZB: namely, automatic, dynamic retopology with different mesh density areas and the ability to change the topology instantly..

I hope that Pixo does not have sunk the Sculptris project and they're working on something better: quad dynamic tessellation.

When you try dynamic tesselation it soon becomes clear that it can be fluid workflow, it can proceed even in a nonlinear workflow, supporting a real sculptor freedom.

Try this regard the latest version of Blender with Dynotopo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRsRu_8O7g[/CODE]

While it is still a primitive instrument and it has tris and lacks many tools in support of only sculpt ecc.. it's very fluid.

• Contributor

Meanwhile a new tutorial on topology new brush, here

http://www.pixologic...ush-accessories

(topology brush accessories video)

Thank you for posting Michalis! Finally that tutorial appeared! I was looking for one for several days and was disappointed to only see the Qremesher videos...

Both Zbrush and 3D Coat are wonderful! I use both of them often and love both very much. Very hard to decide which is better...

• Reputable Contributor

I like the insert mesh tool with the splines. I suppose one can do this in 3DCoat, but it's not promoted very well or at all.

Really? It's on 3D Coat's own Youtube Channel, which is linked from the mainpage. What else do they have to do...kick people's door in and shove it down their throat?

Funny their version of Kitbashing tools are conspicuously like the videos that were posted a few months ago. I guess Pixologic pays more attention than their users.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Tri IMM

Tri Part Multi Mesh Brushes advances the Insert Brush features even further, using PolyGroups to define end cap objects along with a middle segment. When you draw a curve, the end caps will be placed at either end with the middle segment being duplicated along the curve's length. Instantly build chains, zippers and other complex shapes in full 3D. In addition to Tri IMM, the new Curve Brushes can be used to draw almost anything!

Requested this a few years ago for 3D-Coat, btw.

• Contributor

Funny their version of Kitbashing tools are conspicuously like the videos that were posted a few months ago. I guess Pixologic pays more attention than their users.

As a matter of fact a few 3dcoat users here are affiliated with pixologic (and I'm not speaking about beta testers), some may even be employees...

well well well...

After purchasing 3DC I spent months finding more and more amazing features that -to me- make this software incredible.

And i like more 3DC that ZB of course.

Why ?

Pixologic persists for now to continue on the old way, and introduces new tools and tools but based on his old technology (superb of course)

--------------------------------

So... which are the big differences for new users ?

1- ZB is far away well documented, there is LOT of tutos and the wiki have LOT of info for new users.

and...

2- ZB GUI have a graphical approach to handle the resources. Let me talk like example how do you set lights at render room.

ZB:

Light_Palette.jpg

3DC

3dcoat_render_light.png

regards

• Advanced Member

Really? It's on 3D Coat's own Youtube Channel, which is linked from the mainpage. What else do they have to do...kick people's door in and shove it down their throat?

Quite honestly I don't spend a lot of time perusing the mainpage or the youtube channel. It may be surprising, but I have never heard of "kitbashing" until it was brought up in this thread. Would have never guessed what "kitbashing" was supposed to do just by looking at the word.

I know it sounds like whining, but the presentation offered by Pixologic when they come out with new features seems much more clear to the casual user.

It's the old method of presentation, "tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, tell them again what you told them."

Thanks for the information though, it should be useful in the future.

Edit: I still haven't found a reference to "kitbashing" or a description on the main page or in the tutorials page.

Here is what I see on the main page for new features "video" (some garbled text. Internet explorer.

garbled.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Quite honestly I don't spend a lot of time perusing the mainpage or the youtube channel. It may be surprising, but I have never heard of "kitbashing" until it was brought up in this thread. Would have never guessed what "kitbashing" was supposed to do just by looking at the word.

I know it sounds like whining, but the presentation offered by Pixologic when they come out with new features seems much more clear to the casual user.

It's the old method of presentation, "tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, tell them again what you told them."

Thanks for the information though, it should be useful in the future.

Edit: I still haven't found a reference to "kitbashing" or a description on the main page or in the tutorials page.

Here is what I see on the main page for new features "video" (some garbled text. Internet explorer.

Let's remember that Pixologic generally shows these features when they have an official release. So, I'm sure there will be more of a formal presentation (3.7 was). Many of the features have been added since the last official release. And yes, with a larger company like Pixologic, you would expect more marketing power. I've said it before, and may as well repeat it...Pixologic could sell a stale loaf of bread, with their marketing.

• Advanced Member

--------------------------------

So... which are the big differences for new users ?

1- ZB is far away well documented, there is LOT of tutos and the wiki have LOT of info for new users.

and...

2- ZB GUI have a graphical approach to handle the resources. Let me talk like example how do you set lights at render room.

ZB:

Light_Palette.jpg

3DC

3dcoat_render_light.png

regards

Thats the main thing in zBrush that annoys me. Why they have to use 3 seperate Panels on that issue?

This design is so ugly it's making me go cross-eyed.

And this you can find in every corner of the UI.

For me it seems overloaded because of the huge amount of seperate panels, though the software is impressive itself.

I like to watch their tutorials.

Are there options for a more serious UI, something with hardedge panels like Adobe's Software?

• Advanced Member

"Kitbashing".... For all you young folks, is ( please put me right if you think I an wrong!) from the old days of modelmaking for films or for pleasure. Primarily I think in the post "Star Wars" boom. The model makers used to buy loads of model construction kits. ( generic term for a Brit would be "Airfix kit") usually tank kits,so they could use all the interesting shaped parts to make their spaceships look cool. Star Destroyers, Milleniun Falcon etc.

PX Marketing power:

True. Is an old company that needs to maintain a presence in the market due to increased competition

3DC GUI -using ZB example-

Lights was only an example about how 3DC manipulate spacial data using numerical input. Please dont clone ZB GUI... i hate it.

--------------------------------------

Sharing knowledge is what makes a strong community.

There is a LOT of enlighted user here, lot of information about 3DC... but difficult to find.

We have an instrument to UNIFY the knowledge, free for all and is EMPTY and USELESS

THE WIKI

http://3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

• Advanced Member

@carlosa

In your example, lighting, I fill really familiar with the 3dcoat approach. Let's not forget that we have a real time preview in render room. Far superior to the Zb UI.

There was some discussion a few months back. About ideas on how Andrew could improve render room.

I like this engine, with some smart implementations it could be a great tool for 2d artists. Even now, constructing some shadeless shaders LOL, red,green,purple, yellow,white strong colors, you can render and export a nice maskmap as assist to Ps. A depth mask, or (if possible some fake SSS) could be great. I recollect that Andrew had some idea about lights also.

3dcoat has long way to go, render room is not a priority of course.

Kitbashing:

Believe it or not, in the late 80's I was a maintenance man for George Lucas' ILM, when it was run out of a warehouse in San Rafael. I used to show up there at around 4 am to empty the trash and clean things. Among other departments, I had the keys to the model room and model "archive" (a large closet with the remains of the battlecruiser (opening Star Wars sequence), R2D2, the Millennium Falcon, the Death Star, the Ken doll "Luke Skywalker" - dangling from a string from one of the "Walkers", and other interesting plastic constructs. To tell you the truth, it was rather underwhelming.

I was hoping to be promoted from maintenance man to model maker - (a hope which never matured).

Just before you entered the "Modeling Room" there stood a 20 foot long by 8 foot high steel bookcase with every variety of military model kit from every plastic model making company in existence. The boxes were beat up and "bashed" in a little.

Inside the Modeling Room were ordinary large school type tables where the illustrious staff sat, working feverishly on new Lucas projects (they made $8 per hour). At the time they were making Indiana Jones kinds of things - but on the tables were the cannibalised remains of various military model kits (Mr. Sutcliffe is completely correct). The air was filled with the rich aroma of burning model plastic.

From my examination of the Death Star and Battlecruiser models - the details were largely composed of tank parts - turrets, guns of all sorts, hatches, other rectangular tank ports and intake hardware.

To this very day, the tradition remains the same - make the most complicated looking assemblage of tank parts you can imagine - and throw aerodynamics out the window - (since they will be flying in a vacuum). In fact, this has become one of the most over-worked cliches in the science fiction film "Industry". George Lucas, especially, becomes weary at the sight of these things.

Greg Smith

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

"Kitbashing".... For all you young folks, is ( please put me right if you think I an wrong!) from the old days of modelmaking for films or for pleasure. Primarily I think in the post "Star Wars" boom. The model makers used to buy loads of model construction kits. ( generic term for a Brit would be "Airfix kit") usually tank kits,so they could use all the interesting shaped parts to make their spaceships look cool. Star Destroyers, Milleniun Falcon etc.

The last time I put together "boxed models" was back in the 1950s when I was a kid. Don't think "kitbashing" was a term back then, at least not where I grew up in the U.S. :)

• Advanced Member

@Psmith, interesting story, thanks for sharing it.

In recent films, I recollect the movie "serenity". In a particular scene they assembled a laser canon on top of the space ship. It's the same canon we see on german WW2 U boats, or something similar.

All these are well known tricks. Why not? The problem is that, sooner or later all these produce a style. Here we are, this is the challenge, to change these styles. To be less predictable and more creative.

Libraries of objects are great, 3dc also followed the wave in first place, now comes Zb with more parametric libraries.

As I mentioned, all these goodies have a cost.

Yeah, Lucas films, scifi environment. I can't compare it with the exceptionally creative project on the back of space odyssey 2000 film.

Which happened to respect the empty vacuum of space and kept it soundless. Music only. Not sounding explosions, nothing. This movie, after so many years, stands ever green.

• Advanced Member

The maintaining of polygroups within the insert brushes and the crispness available now of having connective poly modeling with the ease of dynamesh makes me most excited. For me polygroups offer so many quick posing and selection advantages. My admiration for Pixologic is how thoroughly they consider polygroup implementation into the process with each release .

• Reputable Contributor

Well, we as kids never had Kitbashing but a lot of Kitburning... We take all our old models, battleships, tanks, aircraft, then twist up old plastic bread bags and set the bags on fire.

We would bomb our models with hot plastic bombs, setting them on fire and finally put firecrackers in them blowing them apart... What fun we had,my brother and I. B)

• Advanced Member
Well, we as kids never had Kitbashing but a lot of Kitburning... We take all our old models, battleships, tanks, aircraft, then twist up old plastic bread bags and set the bags on fire.

We would bomb our models with hot plastic bombs, setting them on fire and finally put firecrackers in them blowing them apart... What fun we had,my brother and I. B)

:rofl:

+1

• Advanced Member

Hello sorry to disturb your discussions.

Zbrush or 3D Coat, it's matter of taste,with both you can achieve production assets.

We use Zbrush , 3D Coat and Mudbox here .

The big problems with these 3 softwares ... the pipeline integration (none existent),it's essentially due to the lack of scripting support (i meant a true scripting language not the ZB's joke).

This is mainly why you can easily find all these softs in the same company.

A soft integrated in a pipeline isn't easily removed (due to the investment)

and you rarely choose another solution than the one that you integrated,i have never seen that .

This is mainly why Mari is becoming the painter of choice in production, even if the painter himself is not far behind 3D Coat .

Actually i found the 3DC better for artistic purpose,but it's less production oriented.(script,float ,half,LUT,color space, and export are weird, not supported, or not flexible )

The true is that ZBrush ,Mudbox or 3D Coat can be removed too easily from a company.

Then it should become clear for software developers, there is a choice to do for the main dev direction, production or hobbyist .

It doesn't mean to forget one of the 2.

I personally think the rest is fanaticism, and continue to support 3D Coat in buying my license.

Ps: please excuse my English

• Like 1