3DCoat Forums

Metasequoia 3d now has Sculpting ability

JimB

• Advanced Member

Cinema 4D R14 also has the sculpting.

From what I see in the video preview it is a technology similar to ZB, with successive polygons subdivisions, nothing innovative. Still far from ZB and 3DCoat.

The interface seems very clear, with some brushes options and many presets.

It is becoming increasingly popular that every 3D generic program has its 3D sculpting module, except for Autodesk...they could easily integrate sculpting, but for some rea$on they prefer to force customers to buy Mudbox and in the next few months Meshmixer.

(and It 's absurd if really they will as two separate programs ... but it probably will happen. It would be like 3DCoat split into two separate programs polygon and voxel modules)

• Advanced Member

You should follow and watch blender development closely...

It already kicks some asses, If I may say so.

IMO a superior development to 3dcoat LC, to sculptris, to meshmixer. Combine it with the real time cycles preview, with the excellent retopo tools, UV editor etc and have something very close to an artists needs. Should I mention the excellent behavior of the brushes? Close to zb and sculptris. Without really adopting any UI ideas. Dynamic tessellations at its best.

• Contributor

You're right michalis, this is very nice. I've to test that more indepth but this seems fast, reliable and simple. In fact if wasn't a long time autodesk software user, I would probably be on blender now. Tnx for the heads up.

It's still a bit rought around the edges (and lacks reduce brushes which is worked on as I read even if collapse short edges does the trick atm), but otherwise it's much more predictable and smooth than liveclay. Even the dynamic tesselation outputs cleaner strokes (probably because of space method, since airbrush has the same issue).

Pilgway can count one more competitor I guess.

It's pretty advanced, it's surprisingly useable, some users are doing some cool stuff already: RQK4w.png

• Contributor

it's much more predictable and smooth than liveclay

Im highly unimpressed by the above video,its looks really rough and the output is not smooth at all...I mean at 5.47 when he's working on the fingers,I mean c'mon..it looks like such a mess...Liveclay is much smoother and predictable than everything I see in this video...

post-1195-0-93699600-1344155998_thumb.jp

BuildClay 0.65 details,Default E-panel pressure mode,sharp pen + MUD2 0%noise with RemoveStretching

• Advanced Member

@artman

On the contrary, I'm highly impressed. You have to try and understand. As you work it becomes denser and smoother. For the moment we prefer a flat shader as there isn't an w key for wireframes. (a tip for nVidia users, under T palette/sculpt mode, turn "front faces only" on. Else, performance won't be good)

Reduce-add commands already exist under any brush as property. So make one with 0 pressure and have it. This is wrong in fact as there should be one only reduce tool. Now, if I stroke having less dense parameters on a already sculpted area it alters artwork. On the other hand, what I like on this dyna topology thing are the tools behavior and the useful properties-parameters of tool palette.

It's something that exists in 3dcoat wish lists long time now.

What deeply impresses me is the ability to sculpt having a ready made cycles shader-light setup and have a textured (box blended mapping) preview in seconds. A GI render. I find it very important. You all know how light "eats" details sometimes. It's GI, it happens in real sculpting too. (A nice clay sculpting, but the final plaster looks so different that you need to carve it desperately, to make it cast shadows).

I love this blender approach. A dream of mine that comes almost true.

Dyna topology isn't ready, lot of work to be done. Even at this state I love it, I can easily drop the mesh into 3dcoat LC for some more refinement but no need to use sculptris any more. Neither zbrush as long as dynamic tessellation still in use.

It's only my opinion of course, but it was recent 3dcoat and now blender that made me start thinking on sculpting, once again. Not the new wonderful zbrush. Funny. Difficult to explain further.

• Contributor

@artman

On the contrary, I'm highly impressed. You have to try and understand. As you work it becomes denser and smoother.

Yeah,I understand.... this is what adaptive tesselation do. But this still look very bad. Chunky,rough...not smooth at all.

I do things like this video in much sharper and smoother finish with my LC brushes and in much less times,in the video it seems really laborious .

• Contributor

@artman, try it

Meanwhile here some ridiculous doodling, OK, I was testing tool's behavior. Smooth performance at ~600K on my poor nvidia. (my limits are ~1M or so, but can go ~4M disabling dyna topology)

I can't sculpt in Blender....it gets extremely slow at just 500k,i mean "unworkable" slow.

I've setted evry possible options (vob,Smooth shade(on some forum is is written that flat shade make sculpting much slower), Front faces Only,I use Multires...of course,Cuda ....nothing seems to do it)

I've seen a lot of videos where users sculpt comfortably at 1-2 mil levels without problems...

It is definitely not my case. :(

I have GTX280 and an old 2.6 first generation quadcore with 6gb of ram....

• Advanced Member

@kay_Eva

LOL. Though this isn't the case.

You're familiar with the blender community if I recollect correctly. Why don't you give it a try? You may be surprised, who knows.

It's another wonderful tool and I'm sure all of you will find a way to use it.

• Advanced Member

@artman

at the same time you can sculpt smoothly in 3dcoat, yes? And in sculptris as well.

Well, I tried to complain in blender community forum. You don't want to read the answers. LOL

Blender is a OGL based app and ATI's work much better. How funny when at the same time cycles loves cuda so much...

Dyna topo is different though. I was surprised when I noticed a huge upgrade on performance on these experimental builds. Even using subdivisions and classic sculpting mode.

You may hear that it's a windows OS issue, that linux performs much better etc etc. Quite for the birds, OSX performs exactly or better than Linux on my engine.

It's a pre alpha experiment, it asks for some love. Great potentials on this, I insist.

The most important, it has an excellent UI already.

@Beat, I agree, default brushes should be well tuned brushes.

• Contributor

Here is the complete set:

artman presets.zip

Other most important are

TS Medium ..it acts like your Hottool when doing Chavant sculpt ,it works along Addres and Reduce

(reduce brush and add REs 1 and 2 are there to control how much crunch/flatening you want when using it)

It takes a while to get used to it (i mean switching between 2 brushes) but it gives you great control over what kind of flatenning effect you want to reach.

Ex:a shape with Sharp brush...filled with Fill tool...pinch the outlines...a little TS Medium to heal and flatten....you get any armor parts ect...

With Add res 1+ TS medium you can heal pinched areas for example...

Or use Addres 2 to "prepare" areas to receive hardsurface brush for example...

• Contributor

Tnx for those brushes settings Artman, I didn't check them when we talked about it but i've to admit it changes a lot the feeling when sculpting. In fact you can almost do everything with those two and smooth...

In fact,its all because of Andrew... :)

Its an accident...by making depthonly the default e-mode...it really showed how clean,sharp and truly adaptive Buildclay brush is.

This is a brush that I didn't like in particular...

If you set depth+radius e-mode you will see that the stroke looks like shit.

Then I noticed that lowering details value down to 0.65 wasn't downgrading the mesh resolution at all like one would think...

sometimes it goes up...sometimes it goes down,always getting the nice detail level in relation to the brush radius used...

also brush speed at 0.65 is tremendously better than at 1.0.

At 1.0 user is only clogging the topology with useless tesselation...

• Contributor

Imo you just demonstrated that until more talented users like you are taken as consultants in 3dcoat, the software will always feel broken.

Your brush settings are just awesome, they feel right.

I knew you would like them,I noticed you sculpt a lot like real clay sculptors do. :)(like spiderzero for ex)

Great first test btw!!

let's help Andrew pinpoint all the nasty crash/freeze issues for a month or two...or three.

So V4 won't be nice and cohesive but it will be rock solid.

Then,sharing brushes and...showcasing...showcasing...more and more.

This is what V4 needs....

Streamlining of app ,removal of ALL contradictions and absurdities can gradually be inserted after that IMO...

3DCoat V4.5 maybe...There so much polishing work to do,a year of work at least...even for a whole team.

then there will also come times with less stable or even completlely messed up builds( when new awesome secret features will be added)

....but we will still have that rock solid build to go back to .

(man,I still remember early V3...and how it is now...wow.)

• Contributor

I'm not sure this will pan out this way, but I hope (and always have even after losing faith recently).

It will pan out this way ONLY if we help...and Im not talking about helping "improve" the app.

Mantis,Mantis...crashes,freezes,explosions...with ways to reproduce always if possible.Those 3 things.

Issues will maybe stay there for weeks but Im sure he will fix them before V4 release...

Don't get too much emotionally involved by putting hard work in the development,if I did I would be as frustrated as you were...

Trust me ,I could tell Andrew what to do with all menus,rooms,features,logics,brushes...for days...that would only leave me bitter.

and that would also probably be very boring for him too....as a programmer is also an artist.

• Advanced Member

my problem with 3dCoat is after all this time I still don't know how to use anything 100% it's so complicated - as wonderful as the painting is, I've always had trouble exporting because of all those options that arn't fully explained for dummies like me

Which is why when Artman gives his presets I have no idea what to do with this file. From my point of view it is just simpler to fire up Sculptris for sculpting.

At some point I was hoping all the buttons would start to make sense. But it just gets more difficult to understand. Now I'm being told about a bunch of brush settings. Probably if I changed my settings after I restart the program, the settings would get reversed or something. Then I'd be like, "what happened?". And while I try to fix it, I will only end up breaking something else without understanding exactly how.

• Reputable Contributor

+1 on the polishing, a deep polishing before releasing version 4.

The power of the LC brushes and surface brushes are in the alphas and settings one that creates for his brush. Artman has shown this clearly and I have found the same in my own brush creations, settings and alphas.

I have a complete feeling of being able to pursue my artistic creations but sometimes that cockroach of a bug runs across my dinner... :blink:

And yes, some really good default brush alphas and settings for version 4 for the new user...

• Contributor

my problem with 3dCoat is after all this time I still don't know how to use anything 100% it's so complicated - as wonderful as the painting is, I've always had trouble exporting because of all those options that arn't fully explained for dummies like me

Which is why when Artman gives his presets I have no idea what to do with this file. From my point of view it is just simpler to fire up Sculptris for sculpting.

At some point I was hoping all the buttons would start to make sense. But it just gets more difficult to understand. Now I'm being told about a bunch of brush settings. Probably if I changed my settings after I restart the program, the settings would get reversed or something. Then I'd be like, "what happened?". And while I try to fix it, I will only end up breaking something else without understanding exactly how.

Well, that was the goal of some of us. Can't be more precise than that as things went awry. And you're not alone in this.

• Contributor

Windows>popups>presets.....

then you can load my file....and sculpt like Sculptris on a 50k sphere...brushes are pretty easy to use

Main ones are:Sharp1,2, Soft,TS Medium,Fill,Flatten.Pinch.....Add res and REduce to control resolution

There is no wrong to just open Sculptris and sculpt too...

Of course if you want to do more complex stuff(like characters with a lot of accessories)

you have to master more complex apps....

3DCoat is pretty complex....Zbrush is pretty complex too.

But..if you are using build 3.7 you will find in manual explanation for pretty much any buttons.

On youtube channel there is alot of videos covering real actual workflows...and Abnranger seems to be doing more and more of them.

As for features that are only in beta (like Liveclay,or any new special Andrew adds ) of course,you will have a hard time finding complete documentation although sometimes Abnranger will post a video about a very recent feature...it is a journey...

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the brush presets artman. Will try them as soon as I have free time.

I suggest improving defaults in 3dcoat a sticky topic. Its the first thing a user gets the impression what the software will be like.

Good preset defaults need to be implemented.