3DCoat Forums

My jaw hit the floor...

Voxelapocalypse

...I was freeforming around like a wreckless newb just exploring all the incredible combinatorial possiblities

3DCOAT offers to get different effects when I tried out the Grow Tool again,

using both the Grow function and the Remove function with Smooth on 100% in Voxel Mode...

...I was hollowing out a section of the Model when I wondered what would happen

if I just kept going until I went out the other side.

It was crazy I told myself...it would just tear and shred and look like a horrible hole.

I went halfway through, then started on the other side and continued until I saw this:

post-12925-0-22448500-1345528383_thumb.p

That's when my jaw hit the floor.

I...cannot...believe...how wonderful 3DCOAT is and what it allows us to do.

Thank You Andrew!

and Thanks to all the 3DCOATERS helping out the newbs. :)

This was not a question, I know, but I just had to share.

• Contributor

Power of voxels :)

You can do the same thing in surface mode by using liveclay brush and activating real time detection of merging (to activate liveclay go to preferences>general>show beta tools)

livehole.gif

And you can of course switch the current object to voxel without leaving surface mode (but you may lose detail depending of your voxel resolution) by pressing enter to do the same thing less directly.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yea true!

But when you use smooth they will blend eventually, would be better if they did that in one process instead of two.

I know the problem is smoothing also shrink the link. If you want a constant diameter "handle" you can't, you have to resculpt.

Anyway it's only a practical example, I'm sure there's plenty of other cases.

Move for instance would greatly benefit from this. It always repel sometimes you want to merge parts :)

LiveClay looks amazing...(thanks for the vids Beatkitano).

I have the newest Trial version. I checked the box for Beta Tools, but, no Live Clay, no Beta Tools. :(

I do get something called "Blob". That's all.

Must only be available for non-Trial versions. (Completely understandable).

I'm buying the Educational Version next week. Can't wait. :)

So is LiveClay Voxels? What is it?

• Contributor

Liveclay is dynamic tesselation: it's creating intermediate triangles if edges are getting too long (from stretching). It's between voxel (for the ability to deform a surface while staying uniform) but with advantages of surface: speed and the ability to add local subdivision (by zooming/using smaller brush radius in liveclay).

This means you can shape anything from any primitive and add details where needed, all that while maintaining optimal performance because you add polygons where you REALLY need them ( you'll probably enjoy liveclay very much since you have difficulties maintaining good performance with your hardware).

Btw if you want to use standard surface brushes with liveclay don't forget to activate "remove stretching": it eliminates any streching from regular surface brushes.