3DCoat Forums

New Tutorial video: How to import alpha images into 3D Coat

Taros

Hi friends.

This information is for everyone who is not reading my blog:

I've posted a new tutorial video some days ago on my YouTube channel.

In the free video you will learn how to import a texture to be used as layer transparency information (Alpha channel) inside 3D Coat. At the moment actually it is not possible to import alpha informations directly into 3D Coat but I show a short workaround to do it anyway.

Additionally I explain how to paint flexible alpha information and how the "Linked layer" function helps here.

You will find it here: http://www.youtube.c...ladiator/videos

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I recently sent a video requesting Layer Masks (hopefully w/thumbnails like in PS), which provides similar functionality as the linking (didn't know that existed previously), and with each layer in 3D Coat being the equivalent to a Layer Group in Photoshop (containing 3 sub layers/maps....diffuse, spec, depth), I also requested that they be exposed and able to delete or add, and have layer masking available. Basically treating layers nearly identical to the way it works in PS...so not only is it more versatile, but most texture artists can just jump right in and start using it...with little to no learning curve.

If you think this would help improve your workflow, please mention it to Andrew, so it's not just one person's request. On another note...it seems like the alpha representation in the viewport is not showing the objects beneath. I'm assuming that is because everything is on the same map? If it were a tree, then the leaves would be separate objects/cards from each other.

Thank you for the answers.

@AbnRanger: I am waiting for grouping too... but the current layer linking function is ok. But grouping is definitely important and needed. A combination would be great.

@pixo: Thanx. I have seen it is called "padding" in 3D Coat... Sorry for my bad english but I still learn the language and will use it in the right way in upcoming tutorials... :)

Best wishes

Chris

Thanks for sharing the video. Hopefully Andrew can implement some sort of polygon level alpha sorting for correct rendering of transparencies.

Thank you.

Correct alpha sorting( a good realtime bsp tree?) is definely important! Let's see.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you.

Correct alpha sorting( a good realtime bsp tree?) is definely important! Let's see.

I tried the technique...painting black/white on one layer and link a diffuse layer to it, but I get no transparency. We REALLY need some clear-cut layer masking. It's too hidden and convoluted at this point, in my experience.

Try this:

1. Create two addiional layers beneath "layer 0": layer 1, 2.

2. Paint something on layer 2.

3. Paint something on layer 1. This ist the alpha control layer.

4. Now link layer 2 with layer one. You have to select layer 2 before linking it with layer one.

This should actually work.

Best wishes

Chris