3DCoat Forums

Diff colour maps with alpha from layer?

pbowmar

• Advanced Member

Seems like a noob question so I'll throw it in here :)

I have several layers I'm painting on. Each upper layer paints over a lower layer. Easy peasy.

However, I can't seem to get the layers to export individually! Basically, I want to export each layer on its own then re-compositie them in my shader (hypershade etc) network.

The data is obviously there, since if I Edit in External App, I get all the layers perfectly as I want them, and if I save them out I get what I need. However, this isn't a fantastic workflow as you can imagine :)

Am I missing something in the exporting? I tried turning off the visibility of all my layers except the one I wanted, and exporting that as Diffuse. Still no go, didn't get an Alpha channel :(

For now I'll go with Edit in External App and maybe this needs to be a feature request? Or I'm just missing something!

Cheers,

Peter B

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah...maybe a feature request is in order. The typical workflow is that all the color maps get flattened to one diffuse map, and the same for Depth and Spec. For now, maybe try LAYERS > EXPORT > ALL LAYERS COLOR. It will save a PSD file with all the color layers for the UV Map you select.

• Reputable Contributor

My goodness I love the internet! Thanks, that's almost exactly what I'm after. I'll hack a bit and it'll be good to go!

Cheers,

Peter B

That's a good idea for a feature request...output layers to PNG,TIFF, or TGA. wouldn't surprise me though if there is not already a (hidden) means to do this. Been using 3D Coat for years now and I still don't know all the tools/features.

• Reputable Contributor

That's a good idea for a feature request...output layers to PNG,TIFF, or TGA. wouldn't surprise me though if there is not already a (hidden) means to do this. Been using 3D Coat for years now and I still don't know all the tools/features.

A feature request to add exporting a single layer or all layers to separate PNG, Tiff or Tga with the alpha would be great... :D

Under the Layers menu (top menu) in the paint room, you can export a single layer or all layers with the alpha but it only exports a psd file

The only difference is that under the layers menu is that you can export a single color layer with the alpha vs all of them under the Textures menu / All layers color. The layer menu just gives you the ability export a single layer without having to turn off the other layers to export the layer as a single image plus the alpha of course...

It would make a very good feature request... maybe when the beta4 version is officially released...

• Advanced Member

Yeah, exporting as PSD doesn't help since a lot of apps don't load PSD files, or don't load them efficiently. I did miss the Layer export though, thanks for that!

Even better workflow would be having a toggle/tag on the Layer itself that enabled/disabled that layer for Export when you do an Export All Layers to EXR (or whatever format).

I completely agree it's not critical, the workaround is quite acceptable!