3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

Ah yes, sorry, I really didn't put enough effort into that bug report: Windows, Beta3 64bit GL, and I was using per pixel mode on a diffuse-only texture. Sometimes there are just patches where it seems like the brush-stroke is clipping or something, no matter what I do it won't paint on that bit unless I make the brush bigger. I just discovered 'low-poly'in the View menu, which 'fixed' a problem I was having with warped uvs (I don't get why there would be two ways of displaying a lowpoly model?), perhaps this is related as well? I can't always replicate it, it crops up every now and again on specific parts of the model, but here's a small animation I recorded:

3dc_brushclipping.gif

Those are continuous uvs, and there seems to be no link to the mesh topology as far as I can tell, that is to say: it doesn't happen on any particular part, like on edges or poles or whatever. The smaller the brush, the more apparent the issue.

edit: updated the gif with a cleared example

I also fiddled with the Depth Limit setting in the Brush Operations panel (this was turned off during the recording of the gif), but this had no effect.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, can you please do something about the blown out appearance of Merged objects? I have to waste time cranking the lighting down so I can see if there is too much faceting or if I've subdivided it too much and lost detail because of it, etc. It's really hard on the eyes to see bright white/washed out items in the scene, and having to squint/strain to see what I'm looking at. I then have to crank the light back up after hitting apply. It really is annoying and unsightly...not a good way to start off a project.

Also, I've noticed that you can't edit the Normal maps in the 2D Texture Editor, outside the default yellow square (0-1 Texture Space). You also cannot use stamp tools inside the Texture Editor. Serious drawbacks, in my opinion.

Is the plan to have a full polymodeller in 3dcoat still on for v4?

To clarify, this was never slated for release in version 4. It is something Andrew said he will do for release eventually.

Also, I've noticed that you can't edit the Normal maps in the 2D Texture Editor, outside the default yellow square (0-1 Texture Space). You also cannot use stamp tools inside the Texture Editor. Serious drawbacks, in my opinion.

I can confirm this. v4b4. Stamps should be working in the texture editor.

As for texture painting outside of the main square, that's a serious drawback indeed. It would be nice if those were just tiles for the various UV maps anyway.

• Reputable Contributor

You can see just how hard it is to see any detail on the washed/blown out merge/primitive object. This has always been an eyesore and annoyance. I've just dealt with it up to this point, but I feel like I should say something about it. Also, and this is a REAL problem...there needs to be some form of normal/auto smoothing done to any merged object. They are WAY too faceted. When I model something in 3ds Max, I can eliminate any faceting by clicking AUTOSMOOTH. Objects that look smooth (not subdivided either) in Max, Merge with a ton of faceting. When I SUBDIVIDE in the Merge Tool panel, I end up losing a ton of detail/form. This really needs to get fixed.

• Reputable Contributor

You can see just how hard it is to see any detail on the washed/blown out merge/primitive object. This has always been an eyesore and annoyance. I've just dealt with it up to this point, but I feel like I should say something about it. Also, and this is a REAL problem...there needs to be some form of normal/auto smoothing done to any merged object. They are WAY too faceted. When I model something in 3ds Max, I can eliminate any faceting by clicking AUTOSMOOTH. Objects that look smooth (not subdivided either) in Max, Merge with a ton of faceting. When I SUBDIVIDE in the Merge Tool panel, I end up losing a ton of detail/form. This really needs to get fixed.

+1 to the both of the above.... Maybe send Andrew a model from 3ds Max to help...

This faceting is a problem also when you switch from surface mode to voxel mode after sculpting for while and you only increase the voxel amount a little. The voxel object will become faceted as well in some areas. This shows up very much on models less that 1 million polygons.

Plus when you resample your surface mode object it will become faceted, again showing up on models of a million or less polygons. I think some form of smoothing routine but keep the details would help there too.

I need to make some videos to show the problems, but so little time...

• Contributor

I just got a Wacom Cintiq 21UX. All my software works fine with it except 3D-Coat.

The problem exists on both Win-GL-64-CUDA and Win-DX-64-CUDA (did not test other versions). (BETA 4)

Wacom Cintiq latest driver version 6.3.3-4

Image attached showing problem:

post-3260-0-56976600-1351743912_thumb.jp

Is there any chance to develop a SUBDIVIDE or INCREASE RESOLUTION option... NON DESTRUCTIVE ?

Make a new ADJUST TOOL named SUBDIVIDE

Make it NON DESTRUCTIVE

ADD it like a new operator for every Layer. Actually is the [x1] [x2] reference.

Add a new menu option with step upward / step formard

And you have multires sculpt without need to cache it

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

One other problem I noticed....among the things that work in the 3D viewport but not the 2D Texture Editor, is that when you use the splines tool, right-clicking a point WILL NOT sharpen it. Try it in the 3D Viewport and it works fine.

So, to recap:

1) No Stamps

2) Cannot edit normals outside the standard yellow square

3) Right-Click Spline point will not sharpen (as it is supposed to)

4) Merged object in Voxel Room washed out bright white. Cannot see any details because of this, not to mention looking unsightly.

• Reputable Contributor

One other major problem I've been noticing...Damaged files. Missing layers after saving and opening....the file size is H-U-G-E....like 5GB....that's right. 5 GIgabytes. I had this happen before but the file size at the time, 3GB was so large I didn't bother sending the botched file in (would take all day to upload). Just did it again (destroyed file I saved and cranked the file size up)....so beware.

• Advanced Member

One other major problem I've been noticing...Damaged files. Missing layers after saving and opening....the file size is H-U-G-E....like 5GB....that's right. 5 GIgabytes. I had this happen before but the file size at the time, 3GB was so large I didn't bother sending the botched file in (would take all day to upload). Just did it again (destroyed file I saved and cranked the file size up)....so beware.

This is exactly the problem I had and why I changed to ZB, the file grows so large that when you save often sooner or later 3DCoat will crash and destroy your file.

• Reputable Contributor

Reopen this resolved bug report, 0000675. It appears to be the same problem with incremental saving... A number of users are reporting the same thing so looks like it is not fixed...

• Advanced Member

Yea thats what I was thinking just before I went to bed, I've uploaded another file which got up to a point it got corrupt and isnt able to open anymore..

I've reported a new mantis bug allready but I think it is the same thing.. 0000763

Oh I just noticed something. When I switched to v4 I also switch from DX to GL versions as it was supposed to be faster. Out of curiosity I switched back to DX and now my 3D mouse works again. So the 3D Mouse trouble I was having must be with the GL version.

Oh wait, the 3D mouse "cap" is working in DX but none of the buttons. The name I've set up, like "Symmetry" or "E-Panel" for each button appears on it's screen as I press them so I know the device is reading them, but 3DC is not reading them.

• Advanced Member

I think V4 is looking good. I also feel that the bugs will get ironed out, sooner than most people think. Andrew is amazing. 3D coat is going in a slightly different direction to the main stream products like Z brush and Mudbox. This can only be good for 3D . You cannot please everyone.

• Reputable Contributor

Linux 64 bit non- cuda.

Beta 4.00.A4 Preset System will need some good bug squashing... I will leave some general problems with the current state of the preset system. In the comming week will report this at Mantis...

Select a Preset brush and in the left tool panel the wrong brush is highlighted.

Preset alpha icons change. Close out 3DCoat, reopen and your newly create alphas are not showing the correct thumbnails in the preset panel or the regular alpha panel

Adjusting the curve does not stick. That is you can work for a while, changing preset brushes. Then come back to your first brush and notice your brush stroke is different. open up your the curve panel, Yikes, it's not where you set it.

Creating some new alphas throws the Preset panel brain down the drain as far as the alphas icons and alpha settings go.

That goes for creating new brushes as well and saving them as a preset.

Maybe everything is ok till close and then reopen 3DCoat, and it's a big YIKES.... I'm getting pretty good at redoing my presets.

I delete alphas and sometimes reopen 3DCoat and find they have sneaked their way back in the default alpha panel...

I am creating new brushes based off the General Brush, so that might be one cause. A bug being in the creation and ID saving of the new brush, which in turns throws all the other preset and other brushes IDs off as well. That is just a guess though.

This is not a complaint as I choose to test the version 4.00.A4 beta. It's just a heads up...

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, they been around for awhile, this I know. I decided I'm not going to post specific preset bug reports or videos till we get a new beta released. Right now I would say Andrew has plenty of bugs to squash running around on his beta 4 plate...

• Advanced Member

Yes crashtastic in retopo the last two days,cant nail it down to a specific action. Sometimes I ctrl+s and it seems to crash as I press the ctrl key,dont know if this is perfect timing on my part or that is what is causing it. Think I will switch off Beta or try 3.7 just to finish off my current project retopo.

Vista Ultimate 64,9800gt,dxCuda

• Advanced Member

Yes crashtastic in retopo the last two days,cant nail it down to a specific action. Sometimes I ctrl+s and it seems to crash as I press the ctrl key,dont know if this is perfect timing on my part or that is what is causing it. Think I will switch off Beta or try 3.7 just to finish off my current project retopo.

Vista Ultimate 64,9800gt,dxCuda

Are you able to go back to V3 with your V4 file. I've had monster artefacts when doing that.

• Reputable Contributor

@ AbnRanger and sutsutciffe, I added your informtion to my general crashing report at Manits for the retopo room. I had listed about 5 areas that 3DCoat was crashing in, the retopo room was one of them.

• Advanced Member

Thanks digman..

Wave of light.. seemed to go back into 3 from 4 ok and didnt crash as much, but a bit later I noticed one of my parts was completely knackered, Like it was sort of combined with a ghost image from a previous part I had deleted.I couldnt fix this at all! But luckally It was only one part and I managed to import it afresh from a really old save! But the thing is, I do not know if it was ruined the first time I went from 4 to 3 or after a while . But " monster artefact" was a good discription! Im so confused now, with so many saves on the go. Ive gone back to 4 with Beta tools. I think Im in a good place now,Im retoping some simple bits, it seems more stable with these.

Just saw this post.I don't think auto-smoothing is a good idea. auto-smoothing (or just "Smoothing" in LightWave) is simply a visual effect. The faceting is still there, you just can't see it. So this would give you a false impression of what the model actually looks like and the voxel version of it will be based on what it actually looks like. I do agree about the pure white though. I believe I put that into Mantis as a feature request recently