3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

I don't want to be over-enthusiastic because everytime I come back here angry because I stumble on an old bug or a new one (showstoppers one I mean, other I expect them from a beta version), so I won't say it's the best build (yet).

But so far without activating cuda it seems to work nicely, no crashes like there was with 6b and the few changes I mentioned earlier are really good.

I'll keep my finger crossed but the explosion bug set aside it's very nice.

See you in a few days for a happy congratulation (I hope) :)

• Contributor

And Andrew, I have a question, last time putting something larger than 100% in smoothing caused explosions (or even crashes), is there a risk to pushing depth values beyond 100% in other tools ?

If there are please, cap the tools. I use the right mouse button to change depth value, it's easy to go over 100% , if that can cause corruptions or artefacts it should be capped.

I would very much like a definitive answer on this to avoid further problems.

• Reputable Contributor

And Andrew, I have a question, last time putting something larger than 100% in smoothing caused explosions (or even crashes), is there a risk to pushing depth values beyond 100% in other tools ?

If there are please, cap the tools. I use the right mouse button to change depth value, it's easy to go over 100% , if that can cause corruptions or artefacts it should be capped.

I would very much like a definitive answer on this to avoid further problems.

I would not want depth capped as when you use the inflateClay brush with a stamping spline you need to go pass 100% in some cases to raise the stamp to the desired height. I would rather Andrew just fix reasons for any crashes or explosions beyond 100%

We have a large number of tools that go past 100% and are very useful to be able do that.

• Contributor

I would not want depth capped as when you use the inflateClay brush with a stamping spline you need to go pass 100% in some cases to raise the stamp to the desired height. I would rather Andrew just fix reasons for any crashes or explosions beyond 100%

We have a large number of tools that go past 100% and are very useful to be able do that.

I would prefer to be able to go beyond 100% too because some tools are too light for my taste, but if those higher than 100% cause issues that can't be solved capping is NEEDED :) for the sake of predictability (and for my hair which start to come out of my head if I see too much bugs ;) )

• Contributor

Confirmed, I wanted to notify Andrew about it while he was fixing the smooth boost issue and forgot ;)

I wrote about this in this thread a few days ago.

The explosions issue was much more important to fix.

Its not a big bug.

• Contributor

In any case, others will surely find bugs in other area of the apps or on tools I don't use, but traditional sculptors will have a blast with this release.

It simply works, not perfect for some tools, but it's never been so close. The simple joy to work freely without being worried to do something that will simply destroy the current sculpt is indescribable :)

Thank you Andrew and everyone at Pilgway :) It's Christmas before time.

V4 customer without hesitation, keep refining the tools and you'll set a new standard in the industry without a doubt.

• Like 1

• Contributor

In any case, others will surely find bugs in other area of the apps or on tools I don't use, but traditional sculptors will have a blast with this release.

It simply works, not perfect for some tools, but it's never been so close. The simple joy to work freely without being worried to do something that will simply destroy the current sculpt is indescribable :)

yeah,it seems a very solid build.

• Contributor

I tried it again and it relaxed a very small amount of vertex,its barely visible change....but if I select Tangent Smooth tool it works as expected.

(Im using it on a coarse surface to be sure I notice the changes)

Same thing in GL.Weird...

Edit:It seems also it keeps bringing smoothness setting back to 0.7...even if I set it to 0 it keeps setting it back to 0.7 when I press Shift.

I think it is the issue because at 0.7 change is barely visible,I always use near zero values to give more flatenning effect.

btw it could be cool if it could be boosted a little bit,right now it rely too much on combo-action with Reduce tool to give nice effect.

Maybe I'm imagining things. I thought I remembered a decimation tool or function where you pushed the button and it decimated the model a little bit, then each time you pressed it, the model would decimate a little more until your were satisfied. I thought this was under Voxels > Decimate but when I press this now I'm getting the Reduction Tool with the slider, same as when exporting the model. Was this changed in a recent build or did I just make that all up?

• Reputable Contributor

Maybe I'm imagining things. I thought I remembered a decimation tool or function where you pushed the button and it decimated the model a little bit, the each time you pressed it, the model would decimate a little more until your were satisfied. I thought this was under Voxels > Decimate but when I press this now I'm getting the Reduction Tool with the slider, same as when exporting the model. Was this changed in a recent build or did I just make that all up?

You are not imaging, I sent a PM to Raul about this change appox a month ago and he confirmed the change. Him and Andrew were so busy that he said he would look into when he got the chance to do so.

That routine does not do as good of a decimation on the details has the one Raul originally used under the voxel menu. I believe it is the same routine now as the one under the voxtree tab or close to it for exporting...

• Reputable Contributor

It seems Tangent Smooth still not work when assigned to shift or ctrl shift.

Can somebody confirm?

My Tangent Smooth appears to be working with Ctrl + Shift, Version 4Beta6D non cuda 32 bit. It was on a low polygon surface model...

• Advanced Member

BeatKitano, this is a good idea about tutorial. I would like to know how to fix models too. For example, I have created a model of a head in Voxel room. I have made a retopology. I made UVs. I painted this model in Paint room. Now client wants to modify the model, change ears, make nose bigger, etc. So, how can I fix it easily? Now I think that I have to go back to voxel room, make changes, make retopology again, unwrap UV sets, paint again. This sounds as a nightmare for me. Is there more easy way to fix it? Could someone who knows answer send me a PM, please? I'm sorry for offtopic.

Just a heads up, Version 4 Beta6D is still listed as Beta6B on the download page... The correct file is downloading just the page as not been updated to show the current version.

Fixed

You are not imaging, I sent a PM to Raul about this change appox a month ago and he confirmed the change. Him and Andrew were so busy that he said he would look into when he got the chance to do so.

That routine does not do as good of a decimation on the details has the one Raul originally used under the voxel menu. I believe it is the same routine now as the one under the voxtree tab or close to it for exporting...

I thought so. Hopefully this is somethign that can be corrected without Raul being around.

I think I'll do a quickstart guide for new user to discover the fun this app is (how to quickly get into liveclay and sculpt from basicaly nothing :p)

I would gladly share that tutorial.

BeatKitano, this is a good idea about tutorial. I would like to know how to fix models too. For example, I have created a model of a head in Voxel room. I have made a retopology. I made UVs. I painted this model in Paint room. Now client wants to modify the model, change ears, make nose bigger, etc. So, how can I fix it easily? Now I think that I have to go back to voxel room, make changes, make retopology again, unwrap UV sets, paint again. This sounds as a nightmare for me. Is there more easy way to fix it? Could someone who knows answer send me a PM, please? I'm sorry for offtopic.

• Contributor

Has something been already said about Reconstruct tool? I think it tends to hit an infinite loop, because sometimes it just won't stop. I've been waiting 10 minutes already for a reconstruction of a tiny part of a low complexity object consisting of mere 32,000 triangles and it doesn't seem to finish anytime soon.

There are times when it works brilliantly and very fast, doing what it supposed to do, but every time I launch it, I have a feeling like I am playing a roulette.