3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor
Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why my material will not transfer to the surface of my object? It always has before. The decal is perfectly sized (tiling is off), I have white as the base color and the paint brush selected so why does nothing change when I paint over it? It makes no difference what layer I attempt to paint, they all remain uncolored. Will, I discovered that it only will paint over the voxel object which I originally had turned off. This makes no sense as the voxel surface doesn't match the retopo surface (which I want to paint on).post-1430-0-72459300-1354755875_thumb.pn Not a pretty sight!

I can see why nobody jumped in on this one as it's origin and outcome were mysterious and unpredictable. When I re-opened the file, I could see my random and frustrated jottings and I set about erasing them and started painting with no further trouble. The object had the color it was retopoed with instead of the dead grey of the day before and I had no further difficulties. Henceforth, I will merge to NM and close the file hoping it will be ready to paint on as this was what occurred with this file.

• Advanced Member

Tony,I think I had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago, I usually think its an operation I have done wrong......then suddenly it all worked, and I thought nothing of it until you mentioned it. But I cant remember the sequence of events so I am no help there!

But while I am here, I wonder if anybody has this very minor glitch,that is mainly annoying, rather than life threatening!..... I am working with a voxel object and I am using only about 4 different brushes,mainly the build and the grow.I have put these in the preset tab.Now, more often than not when I choose build and grow,a box appears asking if I want to change to voxels....I am already in voxels, so I just agree or cancel and carry on. It is annoying having to click on two things.I did try deleting the preset and resaving,still no change.So I resorted back to the main tool list, and that seems to do it as well.

Sorry to have to ask, but is the paint-room bug I previously reported (https://dl.dropbox.c...ushclipping.gif ) fixed in recent betas? It's really interfering with my work, and as long as it remains the Paint Room is essentially broken for even the most basic use.

Is there a report on Mantis for this with steps to reproduce it? I've been using the paint room for two weeks extensively with nothing like this happening. If you could reproduce it, I'll be happy to confirm it for you.

• Contributor

My workflow was unexceptional but for one thing, I autopoed the object, didn't like what I saw and did a manual retopo. Then merged to NM, The object with Voxel object not vissible was grey whereas in retopo it was brick red. No painting was possible (or invisible) until I closed the file and reopened the next day. Then the object was the right color and painting was normal. Perhaps the autopo was persisting in memory although until the program was closed.

Sorry to have to ask, but is the paint-room bug I previously reported (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17715/3dc_brushclipping.gif ) fixed in recent betas? It's really interfering with my work, and as long as it remains the Paint Room is essentially broken for even the most basic use.

Please post to mantis with steps to reproduce. It will help to fix it immediately.

Hello.

The smudge tool artifacts still exists in beta6E.

It is easy to reproduce.

Just paint with depth in Paint room, then smudge the surface.

MV, Ptex or PPP?

Updated to BETA7 (Win)

- Important! New E-mode - spine stroke mode. It allows to model very nice and accurate stroke with spline and pressure graph in ANY tool where it has sense. Example - screencast.com/t/8RJ8C0g5naY2 It should be very useful for painting and sculpting, you may do predictable, accurate strokes.

- TSmooth tweaked as SHIFT action

- Sevral mantis issues fixed.

Love the new spline tool, it's very handy!

Ran into a bug though. The first shot is of the bug (3d view), the second shows that it works as expected in the Texture Editor, the third shows that the old closed spline tool works fine in the 3d view.

post-10422-0-58804100-1355057762_thumb.p

post-10422-0-58304200-1355057764_thumb.p

post-10422-0-83721300-1355057765_thumb.p

• Contributor

Wow!! new spline e-mode really works well.... even with self-interstecting spline :o

And the way it works with flatten tool is really accurate and predictable.

Congratulation!really stellar work! :good:

One problem: Delete of points using delete key over points in Edit mode does not work.

Backspace will delete last drawn point but user need to be able to delete specific points.

A little question:

Andrew would it be hard to add possibility to add multiple splines before pressing "apply"??

I found way to make very sharp hard surface details using "extrudeclay" tool and that would be very helpful to make

multiple splines before pressing "apply" because extrudeclay tool seems to reset initial vertex state after first stroke

...so to be non-additive all strokes need to happen at first time....

(I hope you understand what I mean)

here is picture of what Im trying to do.

I "simulated" non-additive look by self-crossing one spline with extrudeclay tool

but making multiple splines would have been easier....

or maybe solution would be to add an "absolute mode" to extrudeclay tool that would not reset initial vertex state until

until user select another tool.

Advantage is: Look how sharp it is...original cube is only 100k.

To achieve same sharpness with absolute brush would require 3 million polys ....

post-1195-0-85234900-1355059449_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Hi;

There seems to be a bug concerning the General Brush in the LC tools, just sent the file over to Andrew. The General brush seems to leave noise artifacts even though noise is dialed to zero in the brush's ctrl panel. Could anyone verify?

Thanx

AJ

post-1633-0-95111900-1355062884_thumb.jp

V4B7 x64 Cuda: Retopo: Here's a video on bugs concerning Points and faces and strokes tool.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28170294/V4B764Cuda_PntsandFaces_Strokes_Bug.mp4

Seems it is not a bug. If you chosen virtual mirror method you may retopo on one side. To retopo on other side use Invert mirrorr.

Or turn off Virtual millor mode in retopo menu.

• Contributor

Andrew Im having problem smoothing or doing strokes or converting to voxels a volume for which I used extrudeclay + new spline e-mode.

It seems what I sculpted somehow disappear when I do stroke with other tools.....it even disappear if I convert to 4mil polys voxel(which is enough to hold all details)

post-1195-0-77966400-1355070075_thumb.jp

Im sending file to support.

new spline e-mode is an incredible time saver, ty ! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

People, i request support +1 for a Taros mantis issue. Its still here at beta7

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=797

- Materials and UV-Sets have the same meaning, but you are using different words.

Reference image: 3dc_uvsetproblems1

- What happened when i imported an .obj that have ONE UVset but Multiples materials ?

Reference image: OBJECT_MATERIAL_SURFACES

- And the POPUPS WINDOWS: Pictures Materials and Object Materials (Surfaces) are named the same.

any +1 is welcome ;)

ty :D

Import Model for Per Pixel Painting

CANCEL the import

The model is not loaded...

but ALL the material list (bad named UV-set) are loaded and listed in the windows popup: Object Material (Surfaces)

• Advanced Member

Seems it is not a bug. If you chosen virtual mirror method you may retopo on one side. To retopo on other side use Invert mirrorr.

Or turn off Virtual millor mode in retopo menu.

Thanx for the reply Andrew. My point was that the behavior of the strokes tool should be like the that of regular polygon creation tools, which is that unless symmetry is applied, all creation should occur on one side of the geometry, inverted or not. Anyway, I tried unchecking the "Use virtual mirror", but the result was the same with strokes, just to let you know...

• Contributor

Thanx for the reply Andrew. My point was that the behavior of the strokes tool should be like the that of regular polygon creation tools, which is that unless symmetry is applied, all creation should occur on one side of the geometry, inverted or not. Anyway, I tried unchecking the "Use virtual mirror", but the result was the same with strokes, just to let you know...

Confirmed It's always been a little tricky. I would vote for Virtual Mirror to have a default setting of OFF, and memory on restart of 3d coat. It has for me always been an issue that leads me to an additional 'cleanup' step before mirroring the Retopology

There are a Number of tools that really could do with a default setting that the user could specify, I often find myself Resetting a whole bunch of things when I move to a new project.

• Advanced Member

@ Curve-Mode additions:

While most people's reaction was positive, I have to say that I find the new curve-options slow and unattractive in use.

One can say that the programming side is there, implementation imo clearly isn't.

While maybe no more a V4 goal I would still consider having a close look at tool implementation crucial.

In a competing products I hide and show, mask and unmask without GUI and even thinking and also the Curve-Tool just works

beautifully and with full associativity - without pestering the user with Popups and odd Screenspace Anchor-Point for an additonal Popup.

Of course tools need options - but all the basic stuff has to be called without GUI.

• Reputable Contributor

@ Curve-Mode additions:

While most people's reaction was positive, I have to say that I find the new curve-options slow and unattractive in use.

One can say that the programming side is there, implementation imo clearly isn't.

While maybe no more a V4 goal I would still consider having a close look at tool implementation crucial.

In a competing products I hide and show, mask and unmask without GUI and even thinking and also the Curve-Tool just works

beautifully and with full associativity - without pestering the user with Popups and odd Screenspace Anchor-Point for an additonal Popup.

Of course tools need options - but all the basic stuff has to be called without GUI.

This is why I asked for the point radius to work as the "Paint with Splines" tool in the Paint Room. It's fairly straight forward. I always liked the Spline Draw Mode/Brush, and this is a good extension of it, IMHO.

@ Curve-Mode additions:

I have not understood the problem, but actually this tool in very important for hardsurface and even real things modeling because you are getting very predictable strokes with exact placing. I will add radius control to each point, it will be even more powerful and useful.

• Advanced Member

Well he didn't quite state it eloquently but he has a point. I get lost in the GUI of 3dCoat and the options that present themselves. I've said it before, and people didn't like it when I said it, but I will say it again. 3dCoat would benefit heavily from some form of modifier stack usage. Everything from Photoshop to blender to zbrush all utilize some form of modifier stacks. The only other program that I know which uses the "Rooms" concept is Carrera and it's not exactly the most popular software in the world.

For this new curve tool it would be great if I could just pick up a Curve Tool modifier and snap down somewhere and whenever I needed to see the more robust options of it I can just expand the modifier in the stack by mousing over and clicking - it allows for a more forgiving non modular workflow. Most people arent going to be as expert on the purposes of all the tools as the software's creator is.

• Contributor

Well he didn't quite state it eloquently but he has a point. I get lost in the GUI of 3dCoat and the options that present themselves. I've said it before, and people didn't like it when I said it, but I will say it again. 3dCoat would benefit heavily from some form of modifier stack usage. Everything from Photoshop to blender to zbrush all utilize some form of modifier stacks. The only other program that I know which uses the "Rooms" concept is Carrera and it's not exactly the most popular software in the world.

For this new curve tool it would be great if I could just pick up a Curve Tool modifier and snap down somewhere and whenever I needed to see the more robust options of it I can just expand the modifier in the stack by mousing over and clicking - it allows for a more forgiving non modular workflow. Most people arent going to be as expert on the purposes of all the tools as the software's creator is.

a modifier stack in zbrush??? :huh:

• Advanced Member

Well he didn't quite state it eloquently but he has a point. I get lost in the GUI of 3dCoat and the options that present themselves.

Well, so far I agree - but I really don't wish for a Modifier-Stack at all - that has nothing to do with missing rhetoric skills :)

@ Andrew - I did not say anything against the functionality as such but my impression after a minute of playing is.

Ok, that's something you should rather go on doing in Zbrush. It's not so much that their implemention does more (in fact it does)

It just feels better. Snappier. Less UI, being hooked up super-elegantly inside the common grammar how all tools work in Z,

Tool-Modifiers are still at hand if need be.

I really thought whether it was worth posting this, but I feel it is important to get negative feedback on new stuff.

Otherwise things just settle and after a while get considered not worth beeing touched again as everybody got used to them.

I still see a lot of potiential to make tools work more predictably and with less GUI.

• Contributor

It's not so much that their implemention does more (in fact it does)

It just feels better. Snappier. Less UI, being hooked up super-elegantly inside the common grammar how all tools work in Z,

New Curve tool in Zbrush does much less actually...

you cannot edit which point is sharp and which point is smooth

(you can use Bend mode but its far less intuitive than just Rightclicking in 3DC)

...you cannot use bezier...you cannot save/load your curve externally

.... it takes twice much space in Ui than in 3DCoat ....and it is located in a remote submenu that you can't undock....

• Advanced Member

New Curve tool in Zbrush does much less actually...

Well peoples perceptions differ.

Indeed you mention some features Zbrush does not have, but then again you are omitting a lot of stuff 3DC curves can't do.

Just the tiny bit of associativity for starters. :)

Depth of Functionality however was not my point.

My point was that one does not need GUI in Zbrush for all basic functions of every major feature.

Just compare Zbrushs Masking and Hiding with 3DC's incarnation....

You btw. can undock (custom popup) the Curve-Mode-Editors.

Anyway - I did not want to start a lenghty discussion - but only point out that some users still see room for improvement.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Depth of Functionality however was not my point.

My point was that one does not need GUI in Zbrush for all basic functions of every major feature.

Just compare Zbrushs Masking and Hiding with 3DC's incarnation....

A highly valid point - emphasis on pragmatic elegance is always an essential consideration for technology to become more invisible within the creative process.