3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Do someone use the "Powerful smoothig" function in LC? It is one of the functions/actions that can be set for the SHIFT and CTRL key.

I have the feeling powerful smoothing is not working correct. The most time it reduces the whole object while smoothing, the shape will not be preserved. But should it not actually reduce AND preserve the objects shape?

Where can I set the "powerful smoothing" options?

Best wishes

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

Do someone use the "Powerful smoothig" function in LC? It is one of the functions/actions that can be set for the SHIFT and CTRL key.

I have the feeling powerful smoothing is not working correct. The most time it reduces the whole object while smoothing, the shape will not be preserved. But should it not actually reduce AND preserve the objects shape?

Where can I set the "powerful smoothing" options?

Best wishes

Chris

The tooltip doesn't say anything about preserving the shape. That's what tangent smooth does.

• Contributor

Tangent smoothing seems to be so subtle, that I never really bother using it. Is it possible that Andrew make a POWERFUL tangent smoothing that would smooth and decimate surfaces with... well, casual smoothing and decimation if an angle between those surfaces and their neighbours is beyond a certain threshold angle setting, and tangent smooth surfaces with neighbouring faces inside that angle? You know, something like: normal smooth surfaces for those faces that are relatively even, but tangent smooth for those with sharp angles? So to preserve details on the surface creases aka sharp angles, but to get rid of unnecessary polys at the same time?

Or do we already have something like that?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I was having some weird issues with 3D-COAT 4.00.BETA11. I uninstalled it and deleted the "3D-CoatV4" folder in the Document folder. After reinstalling things seem to be working normally again.

A couple of the problems I was having before reinstalling:

Imported mesh for voxelizing was messed up.

Flat normal maps when running "Merge with NM (per-pixel)" from Retopo room.

The tooltip doesn't say anything about preserving the shape. That's what tangent smooth does.

Do I have a different tooltip then? I ask because I am currently translating the recent updates into german language.

See my attachment. Do I misunderstand something here? If so explain it to me please. I need it for a correct translation.

The point is: I am testing ALL functions before I am translating them. In this way I find the most bugs too... A lot of the tooltips are sometimes a bit strange to understand for an artist. So I try to explain them better when I translate the content.

In this case the shape will not be preserved, unfortunately. I guess it would be better to have only one good smoothing system and not more. Or give the user an option that can be changed if needed. A value range that controls a smooting quality, strength or whatever is needed.

Thank you

Chris

post-955-0-48387500-1359899622_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Do I have a different tooltip then? I ask because I am currently translating the recent updates into german language.

See my attachment. Do I misunderstand something here? If so explain it to me please. I need it for a correct translation.

The point is: I am testing ALL functions before I am translating them. In this way I find the most bugs too... A lot of the tooltips are sometimes a bit strange to understand for an artist. So I try to explain them better when I translate the content.

In this case the shape will not be preserved, unfortunately. I guess it would be better to have only one good smoothing system and not more. Or give the user an option that can be changed if needed. A value range that controls a smooting quality, strength or whatever is needed.

Thank you

Chris

That is correct, regarding Tangent Smooth. It preserves shape. However, I think Andrew mistakenly left the note from tangent smooth, at the end of the note for Powerful Smoothing. It does not try to preserve shape. It smooths, decimates (locally) and refines topology.

• Contributor

It seems to me that the pressure sensitivity in the Paint Room is gone. I've got e-panel set to proper mode and pen icon near radius dial, but 3D Coat still registers my strokes as they were made with a mouse.

True, I am using (and have always been using) Wacom tablet set to Mouse Mode, but It was working in previous releases of 3D Coat, if not to count several issues when I had to ALT+TAB out of and again into 3D Coat to fix pressure detection (from time to time, usually after saving the scene).

Pressure detection works in tablet's Pen Mode though.

Oh, and pressure detection with tablet set to Mouse Mode works in EVERY SINGLE application but 3D Coat.

A tablet is still a tablet, regardless what mapping method you're using ("mouse", or absolute mode "pen" mode). It just defines how the position of the pen is translated on screen. It's tablet driver setting, it shouldn't affect how programs use pressure.

• Advanced Member

It seems to me that the pressure sensitivity in the Paint Room is gone. I've got e-panel set to proper mode and pen icon near radius dial, but 3D Coat still registers my strokes as they were made with a mouse.

True, I am using (and have always been using) Wacom tablet set to Mouse Mode, but It was working in previous releases of 3D Coat, if not to count several issues when I had to ALT+TAB out of and again into 3D Coat to fix pressure detection (from time to time, usually after saving the scene).

Pressure detection works in tablet's Pen Mode though.

Oh, and pressure detection with tablet set to Mouse Mode works in EVERY SINGLE application but 3D Coat.

This issue seems similar to what I have in Paint Room with navigation sometimes. I also loose pen pressure sensitivity after mask or material enabled and cannot slide the model using pen. I have to switch to another application and switch back to 3DC to restore control. I have reported this issue last week:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=933

• Contributor

Yes, I had. Last week.

I was doing some test bakes on my model, baking each UV set manually. Then, I saved the file containing everything: bake result, retopo info, voxels and LC and was unable to open the file since. I have sent the automatic crash report to support.

Some kind of recovery manual would be very useful, I agree.

Oh gosh, I might need some help.

It doesn't help that the crosshair isn't captured in the screenshots, for some reason.

In the first image, the crosshair is in the middle of the brush alpha circle, as expected.

In the second, when I move the crosshair up the slope of "Volume8" (which is not the active object in the Vox Tree), the brush alpha circle goes wonky and follows some imaginary surface. I moved the crosshair under an inch, and it just went berzerk. It's literally following what seems like the surface of a rollercoaster.

It doesn't happen if Volume8 is selected, but then the alpha circle goes wonky when trying to follow the other object's surface. I have no idea what I did for this to occur.

Retopoing is a challenge with this...

This is in Beta11.

Anyone get this too? Any solutions?

post-10422-0-58305700-1360137426_thumb.j

post-10422-0-37764800-1360137428_thumb.j

• Contributor

I had this happen to me as well, although not in the Voxel Room, but in Retopo, so the solution might not work for you. Turned out I forgot to delete previously created Object in the Paint Room - residue from some old bakings.

• Contributor

In the second, when I move the crosshair up the slope of "Volume8" (which is not the active object in the Vox Tree), the brush alpha circle goes wonky and follows some imaginary surface. I moved the crosshair under an inch, and it just went

Maybe there are tiny little voxel particles floating in that area. Sometimes when cutting voxel volumes I leave behind tiny little pieces (nearly invisible) that the brush will pick up on when you move over them. I usually just use the Cut-off tool (select the whole problem area with the "draw with closed spline" mode in the E panel) to delete those tiny particles. If that doesn't solve it, then I'm not sure what is going on...

Deleted the objects in the paint room, and no floating voxels to be found.

Happens in retopo room as well.

[Edit:] Reloading the model sometimes fixes the issue... I'm going to try to hunt down the repro steps.

Edited by stry

• Reputable Contributor

I know the Linux version is being compiled to have AngelScript but we are almost up to 4.00.Beta12 for windows.

Linux Version 4.00Beta9C has the severe lag problem. I found a way to fix the lag without the updated betas but other users might be stuck with a laggy version of Linux.

Please if adding AngelScript is requiring major work can we have an updated beta without it so users can have a non-laggy beta Linux version without workarounds...

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I agree but wonder how that works since space bar is also quick access menu. Maybe there's a key/mouse priority order.

Depends on which one you select as the space bar can open a popup allowing you to enter a numerical value too. In the Mantis entry, Andrew stated it was non-contradictory meaning these two functions still work with the new repositioning feature (which is going to be very useful IMHO). 3D Coat probably detects whether the space key is being tapped or held down and acts accordingly.

I know the Linux version is being compiled to have AngelScript but we are almost up to 4.00.Beta12 for windows.

Linux Version 4.00Beta9C has the severe lag problem. I found a way to fix the lag without the updated betas but other users might be stuck with a laggy version of Linux.

Please if adding AngelScript is requiring major work can we have an updated beta without it so users can have a non-laggy beta Linux version without workarounds...

Yes, and a fix for the view rotation drift when using a wacom tablet (Mac)...it's been over two months with this bug, and it makes for a very frustrating session with 3D Coat when your viewport rotates on its own.

I agree but wonder how that works since space bar is also quick access menu. Maybe there's a key/mouse priority order.

The one from Zbrush "while freely rotating the model press SHIFT-key snap into view angles" function annoyed the HELL out of me, but thanks to Andrew I could reconfigure the navigation and now i am using Mudbox-style. Very nice function of 3D-Coat!

• Contributor

Please Andrew, do something about general responsiveness of the user interface. You fixed the tool switching delay, that's superb, but there's still:

- long wait time when switching rooms,

- very long delays when deleting objects in the paint room,

- and most importantly, every action that involves scaling of undocked windows, results in very long freezes. It's even enough to just click the window resize border of, say, undocked Layers window to cause an ~8-seconds pause in the UI. I'm not sure what kind of calculations 3D Coat V4 does during those delays, but in V3 it was all super fast.

There are possibly more actions that cause those mini freezes, but those that I mentioned above are what I remember the best at the moment.

I'll search Mantis for a similar issue and if it's not there, I will be reporting this as urgent.

Found it: http://3d-coat.com:8...view.php?id=909

And a new, different issue: http://3d-coat.com:8...view.php?id=954