3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Of course the "flashing" was to show the difference, in static shots side by side it wasn't so visible so Imade this gif. And I agree Phil, I think the glowy parts are just a capture from a video tutorial, I don't really see the benefit of adding them, they're more distracting than anything. It works as motion design but as static shot i'm not sure.

Anyway, it was just nitpicking, there's of course more urgent matter to deal with before going into esthetics. But I think this is something to look into for the v4 release, first impression is always something important.

• Contributor

Because I hate to be the crit guy without actually bringing something to the table (criticizing is easy) here's something closer to what I had in mind when Andrew talked about startmenu overhaul. I know there's an obvious lack of pictures here, and I actually think this is why there's so much icon re-use in the current startmenu. I'm terrible at pixel art so i simply concentrated on the idea.

startmenu.jpg

Btw with the extra zone for tips, details on use or anything you want to use it for (activated by mouse hover), this menu is smaller than the current one. And yet it doesn't look like it is.

• Contributor

I agree about the size but Ididn't change it because it's actually a marketing choice, the size is up to pilgway :)

About the video tuts, that could be done by adding hyperlinks to descriptions on mouse hover. The problem is that the upper thumbs will be tricky, as soon as you hover an item of the lower row the description will change :/

But that could be solved another way: one click item description, double click: activation of the item.

For those of you who have a copy of Modo - launch the application and look at their opening screen with logo. Unobtrusive and understated. Subdued color palette.

We should learn from those who have demonstrated that they understand the symbolism associated with quality.

You can see this standard expressed in the advertising for the most respected automobile brands, as well.

Less is more.

Greg Smith

Because I hate to be the crit guy without actually bringing something to the table (criticizing is easy) here's something closer to what I had in mind when Andrew talked about startmenu overhaul. I know there's an obvious lack of pictures here, and I actually think this is why there's so much icon re-use in the current startmenu. I'm terrible at pixel art so i simply concentrated on the idea.

startmenu.jpg

Btw with the extra zone for tips, details on use or anything you want to use it for (activated by mouse hover), this menu is smaller than the current one. And yet it doesn't look like it is.

I like this idea. One thing this or the current one doesn't have is all of the names for these things, like Per-Pixel Painting. I think it's important since those names are used elsewhere in the program so it might be confusing to new users.

Not sure why you posted those links.

Edit: Oh, suggesting them as other places to share?

I'm regularly checking out the most famous What are Your working on? ongoing forum thread (2009..2010..2011..2012) on Polycount and we saw awesome WIP artworks posted there by known game-industry veterans and freelance artists made with 3D-Coat.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, sometimes the very thing we're looking for is right under our noses. Here's a video covering the E-Panel and you might be surprised to find out what all you can do all from within this little section.

http://www.youtube.c...t/videos?view=0

Cool new 3D Coat vids!

Thanks for posting AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

Are the bug reports when 3DCoat crashes actually working?

I mean the one when sending the crash log along with it.

I always send it whenever its a serious crash but I usually get # returned back at me, so i'm not sure if the report is getting through or not?

+

Are you guys also experiencing some nasty nasty nasty holes?

Somehow I solved the nasty holes with alot of random fixing attempts, in the end I converted from surface mode to voxel mode and then back to surface but then I cant open my file anymore the other day.. this is really annoying I've had the same problem three times, because I started over from another backup and the holes are returning somehow.. leaving me with a corrupt file once again.

I want to post this on mantis but I dont really have an idea how to call this?

I will give this another shot and screencapture when stuff gets nasty..

• Reputable Contributor

Of course the "flashing" was to show the difference, in static shots side by side it wasn't so visible so Imade this gif. And I agree Phil, I think the glowy parts are just a capture from a video tutorial, I don't really see the benefit of adding them, they're more distracting than anything. It works as motion design but as static shot i'm not sure.

Anyway, it was just nitpicking, there's of course more urgent matter to deal with before going into esthetics. But I think this is something to look into for the v4 release, first impression is always something important.

Would this slight tweak tame the nit-picking urge....any? ;) Cannot please everyone, no matter what the choice...plus this whole "change the logo" routine has been visited many a time and Andrew ain't much having it. He wanted the ribbons and that's what he got. Think he's probably getting tired of everyone second-guessing his choices every time he turns around. That includes input/ideas from me. I sent a screen grab of Mudbox's splash screen, for reference and text suggestions for the different options. Didn't make a lick of difference. :D

• Reputable Contributor

Calm down. This is a beta forum, the logo is a new feature We're doing what we're here to do.

Just stating it like it is. Again....he probably gets tired of hearing (design/logo/naming) suggestions from me as much as anyone.

Mantis still needs to have a Version 4 selection for "Product Version" and "Target Summary" so we can correctly post bug reports there by version...

Mantis offers v4 for bug reports now.

Use "all projects" in categories, if you will be asked for.

I took the last week off and added the v4 option today.

• Reputable Contributor

I need my Linux version 4 beta fix soon. I'm starting to pound my head against the wall... :dash2:

@Javis

Links point to the H version for windows but at the top of the 3Coat interface it saids 3.7.18F still when you install the H version download. The fixes are there for H but I think the letter never got changed, a typo mistake maybe. Unless that has been corrected in the last few days...

• Advanced Member

I'll try downloading again. Last time, the F file was only renamed to the H file. But it was still the F file installer.

ADDED:

Still not fixed. Download link points to 3.7.18H which is just a 3.7.18F installer renamed to 3.7.18H. Both F and "H" are the same file size.

I sent Andrew a PM just now.