3DCoat Forums

Pre-purchasing questions

Sam

Hi all,

I just found this website and am interested in 3dCoat and had not tried the demo as slow internet connection.

1. If I create a model from another 3d modelling program, could I generate uv map from scratch in 3dcoat?

Does it support planar/spherical or other mapping?

2. After doing 3d texturing in 3dcoat, if I modify the 3d models later, what should I do in 3dcoat in order to adjust changes made in 3d models?

Or, shall I need to do 3d texturing from scratch again?

3. What 3d file format could 3dcoat be exported?

4. If I import a 3d model (eg. .3ds) with animation seq, will 3dcoat remove the animation part and export as static model after doing 3d texturing?

5. I have some basic experience of using lithunwrap (eg. uv map of a cube), is it enough to work with 3dcoat?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Hi! Welcome!

1. If I create a model from another 3d modelling program, could I generate uv map from scratch in 3dcoat?

You can generate uv-set in 3D-Coat, but manual making uv-set in separate app is better.

Does it support planar/spherical or other mapping?

3DC uses LSCM for auto-unwrappping

2. After doing 3d texturing in 3dcoat, if I modify the 3d models later, what should I do in 3dcoat in order to adjust changes made in 3d models?

Or, shall I need to do 3d texturing from scratch again?

You can export textures, import model and then import texture. Also, you can re-import uv-set.

3. What 3d file format could 3dcoat be exported?

OBJ,LWO

4. If I import a 3d model (eg. .3ds) with animation seq, will 3dcoat remove the animation part and export as static model after doing 3d texturing?

Animation is not preserved

5. I have some basic experience of using lithunwrap (eg. uv map of a cube), is it enough to work with 3dcoat?

enough. In general you can use auto-mapping.

Thank you for your quick reply, Andrew!

I think I am ready to buy this!!!

Animation is not preserved

If animation could be preserved, it will be very convenient because there is no need to re-rig a 3d character again.

OBJ,LWO

If more 3d file format could be supported, 3dcoat could be used as a 3d converter.

The above 2 items will be my first "Feature Request" of 3Dcoat.

Thanks

Sam

:)

• Advanced Member
If animation could be preserved, it will be very convenient because there is no need to re-rig a 3d character again.

There is no need to re-rig anything. If working with rigged mesh, after texturing it in 3dc you exporting image maps, not the mesh itself. Noone doing rigging and animation on heavy sculpted meshes, those hi-res (usually multi-million poly) meshes used to generate maps for low-res and\or mid-res ones. Anyway, 3dc threats animation in 100% normal way, there is no program that will preserve animation after you completely changed geometry & topology of your mesh. There is many workarounds, from simplest ones, like texturing and sculpting before rigging, all the way to more complicated, like skin wrap modifier in max.

If more 3d file format could be supported, 3dcoat could be used as a 3d converter.

The above 2 items will be my first "Feature Request" of 3Dcoat.

Thanks

Sam

Also, imho not the best idea. 3DC its a powerful (if you ask me, most powerful) 3D painter, with many unique features, with good sculpting abilities, with day-to-day grows toolset. There is so many 3d converters on the market, freeware and commercial, cheap and expansive, so it is not a good idea to turn 3dc into one of them.

Great!

At the start of 3dcoat, the "hardware code" screen showing traditional chinese text is a mess. Please correct it later.

the text of menu items or options are all correct.

BTW, I just bought " 3D-Coat Full Professional". I hope I could get my serial no. soon!

• Advanced Member
Great!

At the start of 3dcoat, the "hardware code" screen showing traditional chinese text is a mess. Please correct it later.

the text of menu items or options are all correct.

BTW, I just bought " 3D-Coat Full Professional". I hope I could get my serial no. soon!

Hi Sam,I'm the person do Chinese translation,what's the mean of "traditional chinese text is a mess" ? Could you make a screen capture to show that ?

Thank you! :)

• Advanced Member

Hi Sam,I see the picture.So it's not a translation issue,just try as Andrew say.

I remember that only the "Registration window" read the system fonts,so maybe the problem is that you didn't have east Asia languages package installed in your system.

But this is not a big problem,it's only influence the "Registration window",others in 3d-coat do not use system fonts.

post-445-1210570846_thumb.jpg