3DCoat Forums

Isolating Z Axis for Relief Sculpting and CNC Machining Output

sculptor919

Hi all,

Originally posted this in the New User's forum, but as there are no responses am trying here instead.

I've recently purchased 3D Coat on Steam and would like to incorporate it into my workflow.

I am operating a 3 axis cnc mill (X,Y,Z) to produce relief 3D models, but I need to raise reliefs on the Z axis only, so I don't get any undercuts that affect the X and Y toolpaths.

Is there any way in 3D Coat to isolate the Z axis during Voxel sculpting to give me the clean modeling I require? (the Z axis being the Vertical movement of the machine spindle).

I am also using Blender 3D for basic poly modeling and sculpting, it allows me to lock any axis during sculpting and I am hoping 3D Coat will be the same (albeit with more powerfu tools).

By isolating the Z axis, as is possible in Blender, any sculpting brushes only work on the locked axis therfore preventing model undercuts that the cnc toolpaths can't calculate and machine on a 3 axis mill.

Hoping for a reply,

Simon.

• Reputable Contributor

I do not think it is possible for the general regular brushes to be lock to an axis... (the plane brush and 2d paint can be locked to a plane but are limited in use)

The last updated 3DCoat Version 3.7 of windows has a removing undercut feature that was added.

Linux version as well and I would assume the Mac version.

It was added per this request..

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10220

Plus you can put in a feature request for locking an axis

Link to the last updated 3DCoat Version 3.7

http://3d-coat.com/f...showtopic=10438

I this helps some...

Hi 3DCNC,

I'm currently using Deskproto for generating all my toolpaths and writing GCode for NC Studio...http://www.deskproto.com/

I considered the Vectric suites but Deskproto meets all my need so far, I'm hoping to move to Aspire at a later date, as it seems a good all rounder (but a tad expensive).

Most of my modeling is created in Blender 3D and Moi3D (Nurbs surfaces) with stl. export, I recently discovered 3D coat on Steam and am exploring it's capabilities.

Similar question back at you...What about your cnc workflow? how do you implement 3D Coat into your design methods and integrate it with your cnc output?

Simon.