3DCoat Forums

Need some tips

• Advanced Member

I must admit I'm not really advance in 3d sculpting and texturing. So maybe anyone can give me some tips how to achieve some detail on making feathers, etc like those on penguins. They're almost fur I think and would be possible to do in 3dc.

emperorpenguins21024x76lp8.th.jpg

I can advise several steps:

1) Model rough model of penguin in your favorite app.

2) Adjust it shape in 3DC in sculpt mode (see digman's tutorials)

3) Find a picture with penguin with good light (no shadows gradients) and make material for painting. In general you can use the same texture for color and depth. Other way - make depth channel using Crazy Bump

4) Paint with that material. Also don't forget to use picture with penguin as an image picker.

If you will start work I can give more concrete advices. Also you should tell if it will be used for games or for render.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew, thanks I will be starting soon. I'm very noob about using layers in a sculpting program. What is a typical workflow? Do you put color, spec, depth, detail/detail, ao, etc. in different layers? What's the first things to do? As of now I only do it like painting a scale model by hand and start with color immediately.

Hi Andrew, thanks I will be starting soon. I'm very noob about using layers in a sculpting program. What is a typical workflow? Do you put color, spec, depth, detail/detail, ao, etc. in different layers? What's the first things to do? As of now I only do it like painting a scale model by hand and start with color immediately.

Usually big details (big-scale sculpting) are placed in one layer and small details like wrinkles on others. There is no reason to paint small details, color and specular on different layers. There is only reason to place different parts of body on different layers. For example, white belly could be placed on one layer, black back - on other, legs - on third, hear - five, eyes - six...

• Advanced Member
Usually big details (big-scale sculpting) are placed in one layer and small details like wrinkles on others.

Yes, agree. In this way you can separate details for displacement map (large scale, general form tweaks) and details for normal map (finer details that does not change overall shape, silhouette).

But as you work, its often a good idea to make new layer when you starting to work on something that placed over existing paint\sculpt, so you can work in non-destructive way, without taking chance to mess up already painted area. Later on you can merge this layer for resources sake.

• Advanced Member
Yes, agree. In this way you can separate details for displacement map (large scale, general form tweaks) and details for normal map (finer details that does not change overall shape, silhouette).

But as you work, its often a good idea to make new layer when you starting to work on something that placed over existing paint\sculpt, so you can work in non-destructive way, without taking chance to mess up already painted area. Later on you can merge this layer for resources sake.

Thanks for the tip. I would definitely keep that in mind.

Do you guys always do the uv mapping in 3dsmax, lw, etc before you import to 3dcoat? One of the reasons I purchased 3dc is that I dont have to do it and just paint in 3dc. What will be the drawback if I let 3dc do the uv mapping for me?

In general manual unwrap is important for game models because it should be very optimised in usage of texture space and amount of seams. So usually peoples use other unwrappers to get better control over situation. But auto unwrapper is not bad :) It is easy and is enough for most purposes. I think it could be good for penguins :)

• Advanced Member
In general manual unwrap is important for game models because it should be very optimised in usage of texture space and amount of seams. So usually peoples use other unwrappers to get better control over situation. But auto unwrapper is not bad :) It is easy and is enough for most purposes. I think it could be good for penguins :)

Hi Andrew. There's some problem when I import the lwo model. There's smoothing problems when imported to 3dc. I'll send you the lwo file maybe you can check. Thanks

Btw, I can only successfully load a subdivided lwo model by using auto mapping. There's display error when I import lwo model with keep clusters and and keep uv. The model has many holes if I dont use auto mapping.

Maybe some lw users could chime in.

paji2.jpg

pbee6.jpg