3DCoat Forums

Advantages Of TGA

stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

Ive just been looking at my exported maps. I have 6 TGA files at 2k each this comes to about 100 mbs!! I use these just because they seem to be the default choice when you export your OBJ.What do you guys use as a preference.Surely JPEG or PNG would be more economical for file sizes? What are the disadvantages...or advantages. I just export them straight into Carrara for rendering.I dont do any fancy layer tricks in Photoshop.

Ive just been looking at my exported maps. I have 6 TGA files at 2k each this comes to about 100 mbs!! I use these just because they seem to be the default choice when you export your OBJ.What do you guys use as a preference.Surely JPEG or PNG would be more economical for file sizes? What are the disadvantages...or advantages. I just export them straight into Carrara for rendering.I dont do any fancy layer tricks in Photoshop.

TGA is popular because it is apparently very easy to write an importer/exporter for, and at least in the past was kind of the common denominator for game engine usage.

I pretty much always use PNG for non-HDR work because it is both lossless and has good compression, and supports 8bpc RGBA and 8 or 16bit grayscale.

• Advanced Member

TGA and TIF and BMP are the big size formats. PNG and JPG both lose some info even at 100% high quality. The advantage though for PNG is that you can save alpha info in it (depending on the app used).

I think my Carrara didn't like BMPs from 3D-Coat. So I ended up using TGA instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the app used, PNGs can be reduced further in size just as JPGs can be. Then there is the 24/32 bit scheme that not all apps obey for PNG.

Well, the PNG specification does support stuff like indexed color if you wanted to do that. The important thing with what file formats one chooses is a combination of what characteristics your workflow requires (grayscale, RGB, RGBA, 8bpc, 16bpc, etc.) and what support the apps you use provide for I/O. It's kind of a "least common denominator" thing. I've never had any issues with .PNG in my workflows, which include PS, Maya, LW, 3DC, ZB. I can't vouch for import to Unity or UDK in terms of game engines...