3DCoat Forums

I have done 2.09 BETA4. It is last beta before release 2.09. The list of changes:

1) Vector displacement export/i,port

2) exr format support

3) support of plugins, SDK released, see corresponding forum

4) LWO import bugs fixed

5) UNDO stability on heavy operations is improved

6) "FlipText" button in text tool

7) Cavity painting should work better

The link:

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-209B4-en.exe

Thank you for great help in testing!

*edit: 3.09 in topic title changed to 2.09 :) I am not so advanced :)

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

awesome thanks alot! Have you thought about creating a game engine and selling it? I know you have past experience with game development :)

yes i know there are alot of free /cheap game engine out there, but i think you creating one would be amazing at the pace your going. Definitely would pay 200-500 USD for it. BTW i think Autodesk plans to release Mudbox 2.0 at Siggraph 2008..so you might need to work on 3.0 soon :P

Andrew,

awesome thanks alot! Have you thought about creating a game engine and selling it? I know you have past experience with game development :)

yes i know there are alot of free /cheap game engine out there, but i think you creating one would be amazing at the pace your going. Definitely would pay 200-500 USD for it. BTW i think Autodesk plans to release Mudbox 2.0 at Siggraph 2008..so you might need to work on 3.0 soon :P

The main resource is time. I have tried to spent it to 3D-Coat. Of course I can make game engine. But I am making 3D-Coat :)

Do you know what new will be in Mudbox 2.0?

Also, I have several months to make sooooo many new cool features :) One month is long term :P

• Advanced Member
The main resource is time. I have tried to spent it to 3D-Coat. Of course I can make game engine. But I am making 3D-Coat :)

Do you know what new will be in Mudbox 2.0?

Also, I have several months to make sooooo many new cool features :) One month is long term :P

yeah resource is time! Stay focus on one project at a time.

I meant, consider making a game engine after you finish 3DC 3.0 :) . OK i'll be willing to pay 500-1000 USD for a game engine made by you.

I love 3DC and with every new point release you add amazing features. 3DC is great for painting department, i think it only lacks in the sculpting area..but you can address that in 3.0.

I don't know what new features are in Mudbox 2.0, but they'll be showing it off to the public on June 15:

<a href="http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/events.html" target="_blank">http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/events.html</a>

• Advanced Member

When you load and save a vector displacement texture, could you also add a choice between 'Zero level is gray normalized or not'

and Zero level is gray or black, normalized or not when you load and save a simple displacement map (for all the layers or for the curent only )

Do you plan to add this in the final release ?

I did some further tests :

I loaded a Zbrush model with it's 16bits displacement map, that needs to be scaled to give the right amount of displacement.

i put this value (alpha gain, in Zbrush language) in the 'multiplier of depth' of the layer in 3Dcoat;

i exported a vector displacement in tangent space (zero level is black, not normalized) in Exr format.

(I don't know why, but Photoshop can't read 32Bits float Tiff files)

In photoshop i keep only the Blue channel of the map, and used this map as a simple displacement map.

I rendered my scene in Maya with 3Delight (a renderman renderer) .

Worked fine.

That's why i need this option :)

When you load and save a vector displacement texture, could you also add a choice between 'Zero level is gray normalized or not'

and Zero level is gray or black, normalized or not when you load and save a simple displacement map (for all the layers or for the curent only )

Do you plan to add this in the final release ?

I did some further tests :

I loaded a Zbrush model with it's 16bits displacement map, that needs to be scaled to give the right amount of displacement.

i put this value (alpha gain, in Zbrush language) in the 'multiplier of depth' of the layer in 3Dcoat;

i exported a vector displacement in tangent space (zero level is black, not normalized) in Exr format.

(I don't know why, but Photoshop can't read 32Bits float Tiff files)

In photoshop i keep only the Blue channel of the map, and used this map as a simple displacement map.

I rendered my scene in Maya with 3Delight (a renderman renderer) .

Worked fine.

That's why i need this option :)

Now there is 3 options:

1) Grey zero, normalized

2) Black zero, normalized

3) Black zero, not normalized.

You need Grey zero, not normalized. But if it is not normalized it can get values >1 and <0. If value is outside 0..1 then 16 bit image can't be used to store data. So I have not included this case. But I can include for test.

• Advanced Member

Thanks.

Actually, i have to set the Carcass resolution as high as possible to get the best possible float output map, and there's almost no noticable diffrence with models rendered with 16B displacement maps.

As i'm working on a Cg movie, i can't post here anything unfortunately

Thanks.

Actually, i have to set the Carcass resolution as high as possible to get the best possible float output map, and there's almost no noticable diffrence with models rendered with 16B displacement maps.

As i'm working on a Cg movie, i can't post here anything unfortunately

Ok, I will upload small update soon and add this option there.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

I am having a strange problem with 2.09 beta 4, its extremely sluggish in every way. Put cursor over pen, takes 1 - 1.5 second for pen to pop up. same with clicking on the menu, moving cursor is very sloooow. I also notice it said "3D-COAT 2.09 BETA4(demo)" in the title bar, then it turn into "3D-COAT 2.09 BETA4".

Andrew,

I am having a strange problem with 2.09 beta 4, its extremely sluggish in every way. Put cursor over pen, takes 1 - 1.5 second for pen to pop up. same with clicking on the menu, moving cursor is very sloooow. I also notice it said "3D-COAT 2.09 BETA4(demo)" in the title bar, then it turn into "3D-COAT 2.09 BETA4".

Does it occurs

1) even after reboot

2) even when no objects are loaded

3) with last updatad link (yesteday)

?

I think that you misunderstood me. English is definitively our native language :)

Here is a picture that will explain better my will :

So, you need 3 options -

1) Grey zero, normalized

not only for vector displacement, but also for normal displacement? right? Or you need 4 options (grey not normalized)?

• Advanced Member
Does it occurs

1) even after reboot

2) even when no objects are loaded

3) with last updatad link (yesteday)

?

OK false alarm, nothing is wrong with Beta 4. I changed some settings for my graphics card, which made 3DC sluggish..not sure which one, so i just click "restore" and everything is smooth/fast again:

globalyf0.jpg

• Advanced Member
So, you need 3 options -

1) Grey zero, normalized

not only for vector displacement, but also for normal displacement? right? Or you need 4 options (grey not normalized)?

Well, the 3 options are enough for me.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew.

I succeed to render some Models with float displacement created with 3Dcoat.

I've gor 2 refinement request :

When 3DC output a float displacement map, only the blue channel is used.

Could you output a greyscale image, with the same values on the red green and blue channels ?

The Alpha channel isn't useful for me.

I did a quick test, on a model with 2 layers, each layer with a stoke, and each layer has a different Multiplier of depth.

On the output the 2 strokes have the same height. The multiplier of depth dosen't affecct the resulting displacement.

Is it possible to output the exact displacement / height of all the layers (multiplier of depth should affect the height of the displacement map) ?

Thanks.

post-476-1210931933_thumb.jpg

When 3DC output a float displacement map, only the blue channel is used.

Could you output a greyscale image, with the same values on the red green and blue channels ?

The Alpha channel isn't useful for me.

Ok

I did a quick test, on a model with 2 layers, each layer with a stoke, and each layer has a different Multiplier of depth.

On the output the 2 strokes have the same height. The multiplier of depth dosen't affecct the resulting displacement.

Is it possible to output the exact displacement / height of all the layers (multiplier of depth should affect the height of the displacement map) ?

Have you tried zero based not normalized map?

Also, please try last method - "Grey - based, not normalized"

• Advanced Member

Whatever the output format I use, the resulting displacement map is always the same : Both strokes have the same displacement height, and the Multiplier of depth of each layer isn't taken in account when you save the displacement map.

I discovered another bug :

On a layer with a high Multiplier of depth value ( 3 for example) the plane tool hardly work.

Whatever the output format I use, the resulting displacement map is always the same : Both strokes have the same displacement height, and the Multiplier of depth of each layer isn't taken in account when you save the displacement map.

I discovered another bug :

On a layer with a high Multiplier of depth value ( 3 for example) the plane tool hardly work.

Ok, now understood. Multiplier of depth!