3DCoat Forums

Maya shade UV equivalent in 3DCoat

pixo

• Advanced Member

Hello guys,

Does somebody know how can we do the same as "maya shade UV" in 3D Coat ?

After a copy/past UV, 3d coat doesn't flip the UVs, this can lead to problems for normal/vector displace maps extraction.

Thank you,

Pixo

post-12831-0-19158000-1351860523_thumb.p

post-12831-0-50372900-1351860534_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

Does using Flip U or Flip V help with the island in question...

I know you work in the industry and I am a hobbyistt so I could not be understanding your question.

Do you mean that the uv set will show islands with uvs flipped the wrong way after a copy and paste?

Another question...

When you copy a uv island in 3DCoat and then paste it, it is normally to copy the uv island and then paste that uv island to an identical uv island to save texture space... So the wording is not clear to me, is the island in question copied and pasted in 3DCoat?

By asking questions I do learn more about 3DCoat and what is needed in different industries in the 3D field.

• Advanced Member

Hello Digman :)

Does using Flip U or Flip V help with the island in question...

To correct the problem we normally use to flip U or V .

My main problem is that you can't detect which one is wrong in 3DCoat.If we wants to check the UVs we have to open Maya or any other packages that allow you to visualize that.

Do you mean that the uv set will show islands with uvs flipped the wrong way after a copy and paste?

I meant it would be good to have in the "UV preview" a coloration mode to help to debug this .

This is better to have a general way.Like this we would be able to debug any models coming from another software too.

We need to make sure that the incoming or the created UV is proper to receive any painting .

is the island in question copied and pasted in 3DCoat?

Yes it was copied in 3DCoat , i use the copy/past because the interactive symmetry some time doesn't work.

I meant by doesn't work, some symmetrical vertices are not doing what they are suppose to do (crazy positions).

Since there's not a post symmetry tools(i may be wrong but i didn't found), the only tool that let me do what i need was the copy/past.

When you copy a uv island in 3DCoat and then paste it, it is normally to copy the uv island and then paste that uv island to an identical uv island to save texture space...

Actually there is many issues with this optimization, especially with 3DCoat.

Because the tangent space are created accordingly to the UV,overlapped texture coordinate won't works for normal map or vector displacement .

I'm not really sure that 3Dcoat handles overlapped UV to bake normal map as well.

Even if it's the case , at some point 3Dcoat will have to choose between one of the 2 parts and then the resulted normal map would not work for the other part.

If we wants to save texture space by overlapping texture coordinate without any workaround like having 2 same models with 2 differents UV, we would needs 3DC to support true "UV set".

Which mean to have multiple UV coordinates per component, i'm probably wrong but it is not the case in 3DCoat.

To save space , we would needs to have none overlapped texture coordinate for the Normal Map/Vector Displace and overlapped for the rest color/spec/etc.

Then we would be able to save space for the color/spec/etc maps.

It's valid for video game,but it cost times(money) to do all that setup.Artistically you end with pure symmetrical textures which look very CG ,some company does it and some other not.

Since i'm not doing real-time i would really appreciate a solution that would avoid me to open Maya because i forgot which part should be flipped.

Kind,

Pixo (excuse my english)

PS:

I found the copy/past UV to have a strange behavior.The order of selection doesn't look conventional.

In 3DC You should select the "Island" that will receive the copied UV "ctrl+c", and then select the "Island" that will be copied "ctrl+v".

I was expected the invert ,select the island to copy(ctrl+c) and then select the island that will be receive the copied UV(ctrl+v).

• 3 weeks later...

Just mentioning that the Textures > Texture UV Editor panel does have a "Normals" mode to display normals direction info. It would be nice in the "UV Preview" panel to be able to toggle between: Stretching hinting (what it has now), normal direction, and reveal overlapping UVs. Maybe the latter could be incorporated into the normals hinting.