3DCoat Forums

Creature Sculpt - first attempt

stevecullum

• Advanced Member

This is my first serious try at sculpting a creature. I've made past attempt, but gave up before finishing as they looked terrible. This time I thought I would see things through and I'm happy enough at this point. My limited anatomy knowledge is hindering things though - some parts I know look a bit wrong, but I'm not 100% sure how to fix them. So feel free to point out any obvious errors!

post-632-0-18077900-1353609805_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-93387300-1353609890_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-81438400-1353609909_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Cool! Hard to give advices for a creature that is a 100% out of your imagination.

You could make it more dynamic by changing the legs size; rear and forward legs

are quite the same thickness and shape, so it doesn't look like a creature build to run fast.

Most of the 4 legged animals have their rear legs more big, and the forward legs thinner.

But still this is true for animal on planet earth... May be.

• Advanced Member

Stevecullum, you've got the pose tool wich is good to scale down or up, rotate or translate model parts.

I don't think you will lose detail using it. But if you've got, lets say a X6 o 8 defined model, the operation may be very slow.

What you can do is downgrade your model, scale what you need to, then bring back the details.

Check the third icon on your vox tree layer; you've got an eye icon, then a box icon, the following one is used to downgrade --> Put your mouse pointer on it

to get details about it.

Good luck!

• Advanced Member

Yeah the re-sample tool is great - its now 1.7 million polys and very little loss in details. I've moved on to re topology now. On paper, this should be easy - but actually I find it quite tricky. I think it's because the basic geometry I would normally start with - a subdivided cube and other such primitives are missing. Things like legs would be easier if there was a tube to start with, that could be put in place and then snapped to the voxels. I did try the auto-retopo and at fist sign, it seems to create a nice result, but on closer inspection, I kept getting an issue with the legs where the polys flow around like a corkscrew rather than even cylinders. I think I need a slightly different approach for next time, but for now I guess it's a poly at a time!

• Contributor

"for now I guess it's a poly at a time!" For your legs, use the Stroke tool and adjust the number of segments (default is twelve). You can use it for the torso as well of course. It's easy to add other polys by using the Split Ring tool. The "one poly at a time" can be reserved for those areas that will be deformed or that require more detailed attention.