3DCoat Forums

Freelancah's WIP thread

freelancah

Figured I'd start a scetchbook too..Alltho Im not that active updater I'd still prefer to keep all in one thread :)

Here's bit of something Ive been working on. The head is something I'm rather unsure what it will end up looking so it's just a "placeholder". Same goes with the smaller spikes in the spine. They are currently mirrored but I plan to have em going all over the place, possibly bigger and non uniform, so no mirroring.. Tail is probably something I'm doing next and then the neck spine.. The legs..well not sure about em later.. Will have to see if they look like they can bear the weight of the finished thing.

post-1238-0-63277900-1355504754_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-19324100-1355504764_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little update. Some re-designing and still not quite where I'm going with the head and neck but I plan to have some leftover skin and muscle everywhere so thats why the last image..

135679334350.jpg135679361996.jpg

• Like 2

My plan atm is to rig it in max, make a small animation where it wakes up, bring it to houdini and add some special effects. Some which I built already and some which I have to try to build..if I can :P It's not really for anything or anyone, just a practise work

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

My plan atm is to rig it in max, make a small animation where it wakes up, bring it to houdini and add some special effects. Some which I built already and some which I have to try to build..if I can :P It's not really for anything or anyone, just a practise work

It really looks good. Great job!

• Advanced Member

With them being so thin, you may encounter problems with retopo'n later on.

This user has a similar problem with a fish tail, but there are suggestions:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10782

Interesting experiment.

Today I would never sculpt cloth like elements. Instead I would create the wings with traditional modeling methods. I think you have much more control and can work more efficient then.

Sculpting is great for all thick parts, like bones etc. An experienced modeler switch between different tools to reach the target - especially, when a model have to animated later.

I guess a lot of people overvalue sculpting. After first experiments you will begin to distinguish which workflow is good for what... but why not try it this way first.

:)

Best wishes

Chris

Thanks for the feedback! And yeah I agree with you. They are there for the looks atm only. Actually I already deleted them from the current build. Only the muscles are there. I'm about to start texturing soon!

• 2 months later...

After a long while I had some time to make better wings. They are not quite done. The opacity map that creates the holes needs some variance since its just a mirror now, but anyway it's progress! Rendered with octane render

The Bony parts are around 30k polys atm

post-1238-0-75535700-1365103009_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-64605900-1365103060_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Really nIce model! I'd like to see it from other angles too, but it will

surely be for your final post. I wonder how you did the wings.

They look very thin, you didn't bake normal map from high to low, did you?

Can't wait to see more.

Thank you! I havent actually done that many renders yet. The model needs to be rigged and posed..The current standard pose is very difficult to capture properly :P Anyway Here's one more :P

I sculpted the highres wings in 3D coat and then made a 1 sided retopo "base" which I then moved to 3ds max where I modified it a bit and added a shell operator.. They are quite thin so wasn't able to do it purely inside 3d coat..

post-1238-0-30766100-1365135807_thumb.jp

• 11 months later...

Made a 3D-Print out of polyamide, just the head tho. Manufactured @ Materflow Oy. Quite nice end product. I might test how it looks with chrome surface :P 

dragon_head__3d_print_by_smattila-d7af3i

• Like 3