3DCoat Forums

Move Symmetry Plane?

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Does this happen with the symmetry plane because 3DCoat places it in the center of the bounding box of the object and not on the origin? I assume that is what the "No center snap" does when importing-- maybe we could ask for a feature request to make it ON by default? I mean if we are importing existing models to work on, I think we know well enough to place our objects on the origin. I really don't get the idea of using a bounding box for symmetry - maybe that is more useful when sculpting something out of nowhere? But if that were the case I think I might still start with a primitive on the origin and then turn symmetry on at the origin....

Also, I find the symmetry plane's size to be arbitrary, sometimes it is much smaller than the object - why is that?

• Advanced Member

BTW don't feel bad that you didn't know about "To Global Space" I've been using 3DC a while and I didn't know about it until Greg said so. There are SO many things that a little tricks hidden. Seems like the "To Global Space" should be in the symmetry menu as well.

• Advanced Member

Does this happen with the symmetry plane because 3DCoat places it in the center of the bounding box of the object and not on the origin? I assume that is what the "No center snap" does when importing-- maybe we could ask for a feature request to make it ON by default? I mean if we are importing existing models to work on, I think we know well enough to place our objects on the origin. I really don't get the idea of using a bounding box for symmetry - maybe that is more useful when sculpting something out of nowhere? But if that were the case I think I might still start with a primitive on the origin and then turn symmetry on at the origin....

Also, I find the symmetry plane's size to be arbitrary, sometimes it is much smaller than the object - why is that?

is my assumption here correct?