3DCoat Forums

Ambient occlusion

rimasson

• Advanced Member

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
All that methods are optimised for low-poly models. But anyway, it is interesting.

Is there anyway something similar could be incorporated within 3D Coat?

Even if it was just a slightly tweaked version of fill by depth it would still be extremely usefull.

It would really look great when combined with a normal map on a low poly game model.

The only issue I have with the current method is the directional shadows it creates. It looks good but doesn't work too well on realtime models.

All the best,

Marc Wakefield

http://www.marcwakefield.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

i have to strongly agree that a baking the lightdome instead of a true Ambient Occlusion is problematic.

For texturing purposes on real time models, its not beneficial to have shadows on the model....but we do need detailing from cracks or crevices.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

I'm bringing this up again because I just ran the occlusion calculator on some

cinderblock/brick assets and was forced to remember that 3DC still uses the light-

dome technique, which creates shadows on the underside of my objects/textures (even

though they are really just 'floating' in space and have no ground plane below them

to be occluded from).

Can you re-consider adding in the option of true object Ambient Occlusion when we run the

calculation, and not just the light-dome technique? Otherwise we are left attempting

to edit out the 'shadows' that result on our final textures... :(

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Is there any update/progress on this request? I'm also in favor of a full baking solution, regardless of speed issues. I need quality over efficiency for this phase of texturing. I can't really use the baked AO that 3dc generates now without heavy editing of the result. It really discourages from sculpting high resolution in voxels to take advantage of the fluid retopo/bake/paint workflow when a crucial component is of such low quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Warm up this thread. I have time, because "one" of my cores is working on the ao baking process with 32 lights and a object with about 600 k polygons...

Please: Accelerate the ao baking process soon. Multithreading gets more and more important.

The worse thing was: After 10 or 15 minutes waiting (no joke) the result looked very ugly... The waiting time was sadly wasted.

As long as the ao routine will not get better, I will do such things in softimage and bake the result to a file. The progress needs some time in softimage too, but I have three really nice advantages in compare with 3DC:

1. I see how long it needs... the progress bar does its work.

2. I can use all my cores...

3. The result looks always nice.

However, Andrew have a lot of building sites. So I hope he will write all upcoming features instantly multithreaded and optimise the current features step by step for multithreading.

Best wishes

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah I tend to do mine in LightWave for now as well. It gets the job done well and very quickly, especially with the sg_ambocc shader or node.

Of course for $15 there always the SMAK option.

http://getsmak.net/

So, how do you bake outside of 3DC without having to export a super dense mesh to bake from? That's the advantage of doing AO from Voxel's before the normal map is made. That is, if the results looked right.

• Reputable Contributor

What do voxels or mesh density have to do with anything? A/O is either just calculated based on the distance between two polys or the program just fires a ton of lights at it and records the shadows.

You get the prompt in 3DC that, in order to bake occlusion, it needs to do so before merging the model in a low poly state...if you don't use that, then what detail are you baking from....exporting to an extremely high-poly model to LW or XSI? I'm just asking...if there is a way to bake detailed occlusion maps from a displacement mapped model, then I'd like to give that a try.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm not baking any detail I'm making an ambient occlusion map. I haven't tried baking ambient occlusion with displacement map in LighWave but I'm sure it would work, I don't see why it wouldn't

If you have no detail in your model, you aren't getting much of an AO map...that's what I'm talking about? If you say you are baking in LW, what exactly are you baking from?

The detail comes from the normal map and the color textures.

This shot I found doesn't have a ton of detail:

http://scottdewoody.com/images/tutorials/occ10a.jpg

But the AO still helps the final shot look pretty nice.

http://scottdewoody.com/images/tutorials/occ_final.jpg