3DCoat Forums

3d coat from a "sculpting? What's that?" POV.

_Az_

Hello, my name is Az and I am evaluating 3D coat. I'm a traditional modeler, working exclusively with paramatic modeling. Prior to a few days ago I know next to nothing about sculpting a model. Never used zbrush or mudbox or 3d coat. But after seeing more and more awesome stuff younger guys (or older, but mostly younger :) ) can do with 3d sculpting, I've decided to try and learn.

I've chosen 3D coat over others mainly down to price, haven't bought it yet but was planning to if I liked it. And well what can I say, I've been playing with it this entire day and I have to say this thing (and sculpting in general) is bleeding awesome. I mean it's tons of fun. It makes me feel like I'm an artist or something :) . Whereas my usual low poly work in max feel more like.. well, like work.

And it's preety easy to learn, not that I've dug too deep into it yet but this does proves what an amazing app 3d coat is. Here's my first ever, free form 3d sculpt.

I initially followed the "Rat from scratch" video but after the first two parts, I postponed watching the rest and many hours later the "rat" turned into this thing you see here. Don't really know what this guy is but it's done with no reference or pre planning, just straight up having fun (I spent like 20 mins just sculpting rude body parts and laughing my butt off :rofl: ). But coming from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about sculpting, I'm frankly quite amazed. Not with my self since this sculpt is nothing special compared to just about anything in this WIP forum, but with 3D coat it self.

I still got alot to learn, gonna take this guy through the other rooms, learn to retopo and paint it and then get it into max for rigging. I'll share him when I'm done. Basically you guys got your self a new sculpting convert and beleiver, gonna get 3D coat when I get some cash together.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for reading,

Az.

post-23492-0-76187400-1358553768_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Welcome and great start...

3DCoat's free tutorials at YouTube. Some are for Beta 4 but most are version 3 series.

http://www.youtube.c...r/pilgway3dcoat

3DCoat is a deep program and so like any powerful program takes a little while to figure all your options you have in creating your work...

If you see something about LiveClay tools, under Preferences select show beta tools.

Just a head's up.

Once you are done with the evaulation, if you buy 3DCoat now, you will get a free upgrade to version 4 when it is released.

3DCoat was the only sculpting app I could really wrap my head around when I first started venturing into sculpting as well. I do still sometimes prefer good old fashioned polygon modeling depending on what I'm trying to achieve but 3DCoat is a lot more fun, it's more like playing and less like solving a puzzle. Like the others have said it's a deep tool making it very diverse and useful. It's also very actively being developed and improved. It's probably the best money I've spent on any software really.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Good choice but it's more than price; overall 3d coat is superior to Mudbox and Zbrush. Once you get far into it you'll find what a deep and powerful program it is, a program that is capable of far more things than either of its competitors. In the end of the day that power offers you a lot more freedom in developing your worflow and the plastic forms you want to successfully emerge from your imagination onto the screen.