3DCoat Forums

Smith Micro keeps trying to sell me Silo

Spincycle

• Contributor

I particularly like the footnote - 'even autosave set to 1 min cant compensate sometimes' @ BeatK' i cant help but love this. everytime time silo kills me i have to find it and watch it ;) it cheers me up.

• Advanced Member

its a real shame. silo had so much potential, it kind of grew out of control and they gave up :(

aside from stability its makes blender, maya, max, and voidworld look slow and cumbersome. They could really learn from silo... (edit: voidworld does)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Its a pleasure (though maybe a woe) to hear someone elese who feels the same way about silo making all others feel cumbersome. when i try and re-iterate this NOBODY seems to get what i mean. Ha many quote of MODO as streamlined, but hell, I feel that out of all the listed packages that that is the MOST cumbersome wtf :mad: so to Nvil again with trialing.

• Contributor

Glad you like that vid LJB (and it's a shame it's still so damn true).

There's hope about silo (another name now) guys. But not from nevercenter. It takes time to get an "abandonware" up to speed with the latest tech without making a clusterf*ck of functionalities :)

@Roger_k: or "lose" the source and get it reengineered ? :)

• Contributor

The thing about Silo is that it is so good at what it does. Watching Glen Southern model with it in his videos is a thing of beauty. I compare it to Sculptis... simple tool set and very natural flow to working with.

I've mentioned before, I have not experienced the crashing that some (well, several) mention, nor did I see the crash occur on Glen's videos, though he may have edited them out? Then again, I generally just model simple things with it. So, could be that, or I just have the right hardware combination to play well with it.

That said, I would recommend against purchasing it, since it does seem dead in the water. Unfortunate.