3DCoat Forums

Robert's Sketchbook

alvordr

• Advanced Member

After starting to paint this thing, I realized I needed to rebake this and the topology could be optimized further, but right now it's sitting at 3327 Quads / 6976 Tris.  The paint shot below will be redone entirely.

Colt_Navy_1851_Paint.jpg

Colt_Navy_1851_RetopoAndRebake.jpg

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Cool gun!

I see what you mean about the metal feel.

I think it will be ok if you rework the canon part

(the stains seems to be weird only there --> projection like).

Nice work anyway. It really don't look like a lowpoly asset.

• Advanced Member

It appears that I've misinterpreted how the cylinder is shaped, as I have a large hole going through the middle, which shouldn't be like that, so I'll have to redo it again.  LOL, I've baked and repainted this thing like 7 times now, but it's good practice and I'm getting better and more purposeful about it.

One thing I've learned is that hard-surface asset creation with 3D Coat is more challenging than organic, but certainly not impossible.

• Reputable Contributor

Talking about misinterpreting, LOL. When I was looking at your problem area yesterday from your posted pictures, I thought I was looking at a gun site and next the back end of the barrel.,  I did checking all around the barrel anyway and found the problems and we worked toward the solution.

I finally realized, :wacko: Oh that is the front end of the barrel, alvordr is talking about...

The model is looking great and again 3DCoat shows off what it can do with a skilled artist behind the wheel...

• Advanced Member

I'm making the barrel opening less oblong and more like it's supposed to be now.  I've also added grooves in the hammer for easier grip pull, solidified the cylinder, subtracted the hammer from the back sphere behind the cylinder, made the trigger guard more rounded, adjusted the trigger positioning and I'm working on the load rod clasp on the front below the barrel.  I've also adjusted the grip a bit.  While this means I get to redo the retopo for a lot of this, it will look better and be more accurate in the end.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Managed to take it a little further.  I tucked the shoulders in a bit closer together, worked the shirt more (the back side is bothering me) and tweaked the head a little more.  Still a long ways to go, but it's good practice and I'm super happy with the lower half.  I can't wait to get this thing in the paint room.

CharacterClothing3.jpg

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Still a ton of stuff to do here, but this is where I'm at with "Danny," as I've decided to call him.  I'll be repainting this later and working more on the sculpt, but it's coming along.  The hands/fingers are too big and the current paint job and topology are just quick sketches.

Danny2.jpg

Danny.jpg

Edited by alvordr

• 10 months later...
  • Advanced Member

It's been forever since I've posted here.  So much so that I had a hard time finding my own sketchbook...LOL.  Granted I've done way more than this horse since then, but this one (while mainly sculpted in ZBrush), is going to be finished off in 3D Coat (further sculpting, retopo, texture work, etc.).  The first image is the latest version...a bit more work on details. Still lots of work to do....

Horse_Ver2.jpg

robert-alvord-horse.jpg?1405196002

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Been working more on it, but basically practicing with ZBrush still.  Finally getting better with skin texturing without photos and natural deformities.  This has been a good study for me.  I'm probably going to have to redo all the texturing, as I haven't given it UV's, yet.  Small price to pay for added practice.

robert-alvord-maleheadwip8-1.jpg?1416710

Edited by alvordr
  • Like 4

• Advanced Member

Latest iteration of the male head I've been working on.  There's a lot that needs work, but it's not meant to be a fast process.  I'm going back and forth on things, trying to get the right look.  I'm definitely learning more about how to do skin than I ever did.  The ears need work, hair need to be put in place, I'm not so sure about the eyes and the skin tone needs work, as well.

robert-alvord-maleheadwip8-1.jpg?1417208

eP32ahl.jpg

bmlt17R.jpg

Edited by alvordr
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Depends.  Most of it is simply the Standard brush, with some Scrape, some Smooth, several different alphas, and the move.  Plus, this is completely mouse.

Which takes much of the fun out of making wrinkles. I have a 19 inch Yiynovo tablet (a poor man's Cintic) and being able to draw on the image really helps.

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Yep, I hear ya.  I have an old Wacom, but it's simply awkward and not much use in the end.

Pretty cool, so far, but yeah...trying to sculpt or texture paint with a mouse is like trying to eat soup with your hands. Not the right utensil for the job. A Wacom tablet should never feel awkward compared to a mouse for doing this kind of work :)