3DCoat Forums

Silo is only $50 on steam

• Advanced Member

I don't want to turn this forum into some kind of commercial for other software but if you're on a tight budget and you need to do polygonal or subd modeling this is still a great program with all its flaws. I was talking to a member about this last night and Silo + 3d Coat makes for a great workflow.

http://store.steampo...com/app/100400/

And it's not dead yet; they're getting other software out trying to raise money to develop it further but it's still got a following and it still has potential. At this price it's a total bargain.

Wups...$59.00

Silo 2 may yet become Silo 3 one day!

Silo is a really nice app no doubt. In it's current state it is arguably one of the best dedicated modeling programs available. Of course there are other options, some with more features and some are even "free". No other software has the same feel or "zen" but atleast most of the alternatives are being improved upon still. The lack of development and consistant price drops suggest to me that the developers are more interested in cashing out and not fixing the little issues that still exist with there product. I've had a license for a few years now (paid over $150) and I used to use it daily but have since moved to clunkier but more feature ritch alternatives because of a few bugs and missing features that make it difficult to use it in my daily workflow. If you already have a dcc with reasonably capable modeling tools or you can learn blender I wouldn't recommend purchusing silo untile they put some effort into polishing it a bit more. Not saying it's not good at what it does as it is now just that in my opinion it looks like a dead parrot.

• 8 months later...
  • Advanced Member

$150 is what it costs now? :)

The NeverCenter site says $159, but on Steam, it's $59.  I was wondering if they're both commercial or not.  From all that I've learned so far, they're pretty much the same exact program.  I just have no idea what the licensing is.

• Contributor

I will take one for 10 cents.

Ha ha ha!

But is there something wonderful about modeling in Silo? I'm guessing there must be something nice about it, but I was wondering what specifically that is? Some kind of great intuitive workflow that is better than Blender or any of the many alternative options out there?

I mean, for example I think the 3D-Coat workflow makes much more sense to me than Zbrush, and it does a lot more cool things than Mudbox. That's why it is worthwhile for me to bother with it. But Silo? What is the attraction? Is it mostly the low price?

• Contributor

I'll give you the most honest answer I can, knowing I've grief with the software (I've a video on my YouTube account that can prove that it's 4 years old, was done on a earlier version, yet it didn't change a bit since then):
Try the demo use symmetry mode, model something serious for a few hours I mean something elaborate, not just beveled cubes and such, if it doesn't crash, you can buy it you won't regret it, it's very nice and natural modeling. However if it crashes, well your call but I wouldn't buy it for more than 10 cents, unless you want to go bald.

• Contributor

I'll give you the most honest answer I can, knowing I've grief with the software (I've a video on my YouTube account that can prove that):

Trybthe demo use symmetry mode, model something serious for a few hours, if it doesn't crash, you can buy it you won't regret it, it's very nice and natural modeling. However if it crashes, well your call but I wouldn't buy it for more than 10 cents, unless you want to go bald.

My thoughts exactly.

• Contributor

There's a general consensus that's it's not very stable and that's quite an understatement. Some people are more affected than others, I think it depends on your workflow, use subdiv level up/down and symmetry (not instanced mirror geometry, real geo-symmetry) and you're toast, don't use it too much and you *may* be fine. Personally I can't work without a subdiv preview and real symmetry in a 3d package... and I must say I still love the software to this day even when it's not been updated in 4+years, it's just not finished at all... Just scout the steam forum you may understand the situation.

• Advanced Member

Interesting. It sounds like a sad story. A great idea that was left unfinished. I agree that symmetry is very important for modeling. Constant crashing when using it is unacceptable.

If you are at all interested in this program you might give it a try.

I too see issues with their symmetry implementation which here doesn't lead to crashes but to undo errors which may get fixed by deleting half of the model and re-mirroring.

Generally the crash frequency is highly hardware dependant. On my machine the program runs pretty stable and still use it regularly.

Edited by polyxo

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I use it silo also for small things or for the BaseMeshes - or I use it e.g. also for making own kitbashing-things for 3DCoat  its a nice applictaion, but yes, it is sad that this is dead and it crashes sometimes often - but there is an AUTOSAFE too, but I would not pay money for abandon software  - I hope it isn't?!

I hope so much, that 3DCoat will never die like Silo I like 3DCoat more and more

e.g. build an human-ear with Silo and build an human-ear with 3DCoat Box-modelling vs. Voxel.

I did today build 2 ears, one in Silo and one in 3DCoat ...

OMG - it was even with Silo a good idea to spend money for 3DCoat ;)

Edited by Monkeybrain