3DCoat Forums

Best way to increase working speed?

maddam

Hi,

I will need to update my computer soon and i want to know what is the best way to improve working speed inside 3d coat?

1- I'm guessing that CPU, ram and GPU are the most important to upgrade. Is there another ones?

2- Which one could give the best boost?

Thank you

• Contributor

hehe...the best way to improve working speed inside 3d coat is downloading latest beta 4.0012B,Andrew did something to it and its like 4x faster but I only tested sculpting so far...

beside new beta ,I think and I MAY BE COMPLETELY WRONG that sculpting rely heavily on cpu while texturing use GPU more ....also some sculpting elements (like smoothinh) take advantage of Cuda .

• Advanced Member

I down RESed one of my 72 Million predicted poly voxel things to 20 million and got more than a linear boost from such a difference.

Once you cross the threshold for your PC hardward ... things can bog pretty bad. I was really happy with the down-REZED result and realized that I had

over-done it with the 72. It actually started as 30 Million and I extruded to thicken a skelton w/o realizng just what I had done to poly count.

• Advanced Member

To ask which hardware will give you the best benefit, it's difficult to say without knowing what you primarily use it for. In almost every case, more and faster RAM can certainly help. More CPU cores, even if at a lower Ghz can also help, but it depends on which programs you have and whether or not they utilize multi-core setups. Having a 64-bit operating system will help you access larger RAM. SSDs for hard drive space, rather than older drive formats makes it quicker to read/write to and from your files.

In the case of 3DC, I would say add more and faster RAM. Without knowing what graphics card you have, I can't recommend an upgrade.