3DCoat Forums

Yet Another Alien Vox Sculpt

danmst3k

• Advanced Member

Nice stuff. I like the detail of the musculature. Will you be autopo'ing this or doing it manually? Curious as I'm relatively new to 3d coat and am figuring out how to go through to painting uv"s with my sculpts. Or maybe I'll just take it into Reality Paint (blacksmith 3d). Again, great looking sculpt. Are you going to put in more details?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slight update on my alien. I played around with his face a little and made him a bit meaner looking. I also knocked down his cheekbones a little. The last pic is a render out of lightwave of the retopo mesh with normal map. The surface is a sss one. No real color map was made yet for the skin.

I did experiment with texturing him in paint with an 8k texture resolution for fine details and quickly found that that is where the bottleneck is for me in the 3d coat pipeline. It could be me though. The process seems to come to a screeching halt when trying to load the project with an 8k texture. My system is pretty up to date. There's 16 gig of ram and a core i7 2600K processor. The video card is a NVidia game card with a decent amount of Cuda Cores. I don't have the actual specs with me right now though. Has anyone else tried an 8k res texture yet? Just wondering. The actual painting part seems fast, it's just the loading and unloading of the project that becomes really slow. The original sculpt was 15 million tris but I reduced it to 5 million with hardly any loss of detail. I'm still experimenting with this model and I'll try to post more updates soon. Thanks for listening. 8)

post-7572-0-63222600-1365015437_thumb.jp

post-7572-0-94974600-1365015447_thumb.jp

post-7572-0-58825800-1365015458_thumb.jp

• Like 1