3DCoat Forums

Maya 2014; retopo sneak peak...SHRINK WRAPPING

• Reputable Contributor

Looks like they are trying to incorporate some of the retopo functionality that is a part of 3ds Max's Graphite Modeling toolset. To be honest, I've tried doing retopo work in Max, using those tools and with an ingenious plugin, called WrapIt...but like it is with using the UV tools, viewport speed and interactivity is much, much better in 3D Coat.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you AbnRanger. I had watched that video two weeks ago and seen that shrink wrap in 3d Coat but I couldn't remember where it was even though I knew it was there. Awesome. 3D Coat is the leader Maya is the follower!

I appreciate that. I wonder if Maya isn't following 3ds Max's lead in this regard and integrating the modeling plugin, Nex. For Max, it was a really sweet plugin, called Polyboost. They integrated it very well and built on it some, ever since. In Max 2012, they added the same UV flattening routine (Angle based flattening) that 3D Coat uses. However, in each case...for Retopo and UV layout, it comes up pretty short. Max has Point to Point seam selection, and that's essentially what the new UV Path tool does, in 3DC. However, it's really hard to see, sometimes and difficult to use in Max, without some measure of frustration. Retopology is much the same. Looks cool, until you have to use it. The viewport speed isn't even in the same ballpark, and the tools aren't nearly as refined as they are in 3D Coat.

Looks like Mudbox, too is trying to copy 3D Coat's Auto-Retopo toolset. Wonder if maybe Andrew can revisit it and try to refine it's capabilities, so there isn't so much cleanup work to have to do, especially with spiral edgloops. It makes doing UV's, afterward, a nightmare.

• Reputable Contributor

shrink-wrapping... was an early softimage XSi feature

autodesk is taking all xsi code, porting to the lead apps... just to let Simage rest in peace

I don't think that is the case here. Nex was to Maya what Polyboost was to Max. Autodesk integrated Polyboost back in Max 2010. They are just now doing the same with Maya...by adding Nex. Good move on their part, I suppose. Relatively cheap addition for them. Problem is, with Autodesk, is they generally provide very small feature additions and yet charge significant amounts to stay current or upgrade. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if 80-90% of their new feature list is based on this former $168 plugin. That means they net about $2400 (upgrade without subscription) per license....straight cash profit. Talk about corporate greed.

https://draster.com/nex-1.5/

Lightwave, Modo, and Blender are looking better and better every day.

• Advanced Member

I appreciate that. I wonder if Maya isn't following 3ds Max's lead in this regard and integrating the modeling plugin, Nex. For Max, it was a really sweet plugin, called Polyboost. They integrated it very well and built on it some, ever since. In Max 2012, they added the same UV flattening routine (Angle based flattening) that 3D Coat uses. However, in each case...for Retopo and UV layout, it comes up pretty short. Max has Point to Point seam selection, and that's essentially what the new UV Path tool does, in 3DC. However, it's really hard to see, sometimes and difficult to use in Max, without some measure of frustration. Retopology is much the same. Looks cool, until you have to use it. The viewport speed isn't even in the same ballpark, and the tools aren't nearly as refined as they are in 3D Coat.

Looks like Mudbox, too is trying to copy 3D Coat's Auto-Retopo toolset. Wonder if maybe Andrew can revisit it and try to refine it's capabilities, so there isn't so much cleanup work to have to do, especially with spiral edgloops. It makes doing UV's, afterward, a nightmare.

3d Coat's uv system will never be a nightmare if you cut your teeth trying to do it in Maya 2007. :(