3DCoat Forums

New Trees?

Guest Lottmedia

Guest Lottmedia

Not to seem ungrateful for the meteoric advance of 3DC, but when are we gonna see an update to the tree generator? I just love it.

Casey

Guest Lottmedia

PS, and could somone please tut me how to make the leaves (boards) work? I can't remember if it's a clipping mask or transparency or what, it's been a while since I've used billboards and even then I was flaky with them :)

C

Now, before 2.10 speed of work becomes simply mad. So I have no time to update tree at least until 2.10.

If you have concrete requests, please write it there. I can open sources of trees generator, if someone wants to develop it I will appreciate.

If someone will make tutorial, it could be really good. Leafs problem seems to be solved at least for render, so tutorial is really required.

• 5 weeks later...
PS, and could somone please tut me how to make the leaves (boards) work? I can't remember if it's a clipping mask or transparency or what, it's been a while since I've used billboards and even then I was flaky with them :)

C

I asume that we are talking about using the trees in LightWave. Just save out the tree with the button 'AutoSaveToOBJ(separate leafs)', now load the object into Layout and apply a UV clipmap using the transparency map(you may have to invert it to get it to work properly) now set the leaf surface to double sided and render.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Andrew - I sent you an email, but I'll post here as well.

I'm working on a project where I need to show a tree growing in XSI. I've tried a few methods and haven't found anything that really works well.

Is there a way to get the tree generator to output something like morph targets? Programs like XFrog will generate a sequence of OBJs, but XSI loads them all into memory which can be too much to deal with.

XFrog does a good job of "growing" a tree, but the interface is pretty terrible. I'd love to be able to use your tree generator for this project.

Paul

• Advanced Member
paulrus...were you aware of this product as well?:

http://simartom.com/index.php

(native tree generator inside XSI, so you could keyframe

your creation as it's 'grown' I'd imagine...prolly need the

pro version for that, but it's reasonably priced.)

Yep - I've played with T-Gen. The problem with it is that it doesn't actually "grow" the tree, it just scales it up. So, while it can create very nice finished trees, it does a really poor job of creating that time-lapse look I'm going for.

Thanks!

Paul

There is no problem in making growth stages - just tweak parameter "Branch to root relative size" in several levels.

It is not easy to get morph targets because of optimisation of objects - try to set "Curving threshold for optimisation" to 0. But tree will be slightly hi-poly in this case (10-20 k of polygones).

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
Am I missing something here? I am using V2.10.10, and I don't see any tree generator. Am I not looking in the right place?

Thanks.

Hello Shadow,

Tree generator is free for everyone who has purchaced 3D-Coat. You can download it from here:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...t=0&start=0

• 1 month later...

Not quite trees, but this is a cool little freeware program that will grow ivy around an object. I haven't tried it personally, but I think I read people saying it was easy to use and had no problems.

http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

This video may be helpful to anyone growing trees for LW:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Fiber_Leaves.mov

-Oliver

BTW I used this technique to make some vines for a recent project and it worked really well.