3DCoat Forums

Any way to tell if a Paint Layer is blank?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

Is there any way to tell if a Painted layer is completely blank on all channels (color, depth, spec) or on a specific channel (like say Layer2 having no depth info on it)??

Normally I plan my layers and paint to separate layers so I can control things (like visibility) better, but I came across the need for knowing this when I started having a few buggy undo issues - like I wasn't 100% sure if the Undo removed the spec strokes entirely (and sometimes you can't tell just by toggling visibility).

So how would one tell? thanks :)

0000702: Create custom channel

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=702

Reporter pixo

We need to be able to define custom channel like Mari.

I saw that many peoples ask for many channels Glow, incandescence etc

It would be much better to let the peoples define they own channels with the way of mix it .

Mixing different channels is almost always basic mathematic operation.

In the worse case peoples will ask for different way to mix them.

• Advanced Member

Sorry, I don't see how this helps me figure out whether a layer has blank/no data on it in any of the channels. I agree with the feature request to add emmisive to the channels and be able to paint to that. But I want to know if a particular layer is empty or not in some or all channels.

• Advanced Member

oh well thanks anyway.. (hiding every other layer - which you can do with Alt+visibility eye icon - won't help if there is a subtle soft transparent data that isn't easily perceptible in an area of the model that is hard to notice (like behind the ears or between the legs or something)

• Advanced Member

This has been bugging me for a while now too fwiw. That Mantis entry needs to be updated to include this ability. Then we'll not only know what data is contained on each layer, but also be able to limit what type of data is allowed on each layer too.

• Advanced Member

Just figured something out, it's not a perfect way to determine if any stray soft or alpha'ed pixels are on a layer, but if you turn off grid and axis and hide all layers except the one you are interested in by solo'ing the track/layer by Alt+clicking on the eye icon, and then turn on Wireframe, you can zoom around a clear object and try to find any accidental brush strokes or tiny errors you might have inadvertantly added. Manually playing with the light angle in the viewport helps you find stray spec pixels, but depth checking kind of needs to be done in the 2D editor, although depending on how good your eyes and monitor is, you may miss some subtle depth strokes if they are very close to zero. I would still like a way to tell me there are NO pixels on a channel in a layer (or a way to Select All depth from a particular layer and delete it in one go), but this works ok.