3DCoat Forums

2.10 BETA for MacOS 10.4,5 (Intel platform)

Hi!

This is a first beta for MacOS. Only Intel platform is supported in the package.

If you will meet some problems please write there. If there will be crash please write when it occured and your pc configuration.

The link is there:

www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-2-10-BETA.dmg

Known problems:

- Not very convenient file dialog (you should type extension manually, othervice first defaul will be used)

- No space mouse support

Hi!

This is a first beta for MacOS. Only Intel platform is supported in the package.

If you will meet some problems please write there. If there will be crash please write when it occured and your pc configuration.

The link is there:

www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-2-10-BETA.dmg

Known problems:

- Not very convenient file dialog (you should type extension manually, othervice first defaul will be used)

- No space mouse support

GREAT! Can't wait! Thanks for the hard work.

-Jim

Nicce ^_^

The only problem that it won't start. Crashes right back to the desktop. Macbook Pro. 10.5.4

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libtiff.3.dylib

Referenced from: /Applications/3D-Coat-2-10-BETA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Reason: image not found

Nicce ^_^

The only problem that it won't start. Crashes right back to the desktop. Macbook Pro. 10.5.4

Dyld Error Message:

Referenced from: /Applications/3D-Coat-2-10-BETA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Me too. Mac Pro 10.5.4

"Process: 3D-Coat [878]

Path: /3D-Coat-2-10-BETA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Identifier: com.yourcompany.3D-Coat

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [59]

Date/Time: 2008-08-01 16:11:22.251 -0400

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Referenced from: /3D-Coat-2-10-BETA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Reason: image not found"

Me too. The intstaller installs it to macintosh HD instead of Applications and there is no option to change the path of the install. Then double clicking 3D coat instantly produces a crash message and the report is:

Process: 3D-Coat [2783]

Path: /3D-Coat-2-10-BETA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Identifier: com.yourcompany.3D-Coat

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [98]

Date/Time: 2008-08-01 21:22:47.711 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Referenced from: /3D-Coat-2-10-BETA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Me too. The intstaller installs it to macintosh HD instead of Applications and there is no option to change the path of the install. Then double clicking 3D coat instantly produces a crash

Ditto, Mac Pro Quad 2.66, OS10.5.3, 5 gigs RAM, GF 8800GT

Seems to run alright. Fairly speedy OpenGL view.

On libtiff:

- You should recompile it as static.

On the installer:

- VERY bad manners to install to the root of the drive. Please change the installer to put the program in /Applications .

On the program itself:

- All the keyboard shortcuts are still Control+[something] -- on the Mac you'll need to change those to Command+[something].

- It's nice that a little marker gets left on the object when rotating a view, but you should be able to set the marker and forget about it / reset it with a key combination instead. (It gets kind of screwy spinning around the model when the rotation origin changes constantly.)

- It'd be nice if the mouse inputs for rotating and panning the view were more standard, compared to other 3D programs. It'd be even better if you could configure what mouse / keyboard combination is required for each of the pan / orbit / track controls. This is so important I'm going to say it's a must-do before releasing a final version for the Mac.

- I'd keep the about box simpler -- Program name, version, authors, build date. What's in there now isn't really about the program, but about the author(s), and should be moved to the manual.

If any of the above are already possible I apologize; I'm just shooting from the hip after fifteen minutes of playing.

Question: you guys using the Hash porting libs?

Seems to run alright. Fairly speedy OpenGL view.

On libtiff:

- You should recompile it as static.

On the installer:

- VERY bad manners to install to the root of the drive. Please change the installer to put the program in /Applications .

On the program itself:

- All the keyboard shortcuts are still Control+[something] -- on the Mac you'll need to change those to Command+[something].

- It's nice that a little marker gets left on the object when rotating a view, but you should be able to set the marker and forget about it / reset it with a key combination instead. (It gets kind of screwy spinning around the model when the rotation origin changes constantly.)

- It'd be nice if the mouse inputs for rotating and panning the view were more standard, compared to other 3D programs. It'd be even better if you could configure what mouse / keyboard combination is required for each of the pan / orbit / track controls. This is so important I'm going to say it's a must-do before releasing a final version for the Mac.

- I'd keep the about box simpler -- Program name, version, authors, build date. What's in there now isn't really about the program, but about the author(s), and should be moved to the manual.

If any of the above are already possible I apologize; I'm just shooting from the hip after fifteen minutes of playing.

Question: you guys using the Hash porting libs?

Thanks!

I have adjusted About box to be more informative and useful.

Configuring navi - I plan to do it, someday it will happen :)

Now navi is Maya - like.

Hello,

it works fine here (Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 2.4, 8600gt, 10.5.4)!

The first thing I noticed that felt weird is as stated above, that it didn't install to the Applications folder but to the root of the drive.

The second thing were the shortcuts, as stated above again..! It feels odd that I can't undo using command+Z. I'd suggest keeping whatever ctrl shortcuts if they don't take space of others, but also duplicate them to work with command as well.

Also it feels odd that I can't control the camera with the ALT/option button, but with the command button instead. The text at the bottom still shows Alt (which I'd prefer since it's more universal).

Other than that I just played a little bit, it's looking great so far. :brush:

The first thing I noticed that felt weird is as stated above, that it didn't install to the Applications folder but to the root of the drive.

You know, Andrew, if you're not installing specific frameworks to parts of the system that require user authentication in the installer (and you're not, since the installer never authenticates), you'd actually do better in the next release to just put the 3D Coat folder inside a DMG and let the user drag the folder to their Applications directory. An image background

inside the DMG would help, and most Mac users will understand.

Here's an example from Camino:

20080802-dgx3s2c52rtamearpqidiaxdgj.jpg

Andrew, do we need to request a new serial number for the Mac demo? A lot of export functions are grayed out an it says I am in demo mode.

Also, will we be able to use Pixelmator for our external editor?

The Lorax

Very strange, there should be trial period 20 days...

Please wait several days, when Mac programmer will come back, we will fix all this.

Ok, use this serial, it will be valid only for this beta

T84K4N-3NW9G3-KX5PPW-J9F6XA

Does Pixelmator supports PSD files?

The serial number fixed the problem! All options are available Thanks!

Yes Pixelmator works with PSD Layers and Files and is inexpensive - $59.

Please check it out at http://www.pixelmator.com/

I also work with Cheetah 3D ( http://cheetah3d.com/ ) on the Mac for

modeling and animation to put into Unity 3D ( http://www.unity3d.com) for gaming.

I want to add 3D Coat as the Sculpting/Texturing/High Poly piece to give my students

a powerful, but low cost, complete 3D gaming suite.

Back to the beta... I'm trying to use either Photoshop or Pixelmator to edit my textures

out of 3D Coat, but I can't get 3D Coat to recognize the applications in the Options panel.

When I use the Option Panel to navigate and select my app of choice, what I think should be

the "correct" choice will not select. I can navigate further down the file structure, get another file

to be selected, but when I hit OK, 3D Coat goes right back to the choose your external app screen.

Here are screen shots, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Here notice when the Photoshop app is selected, the OPEN button is grayed out

post-784-1217789074_thumb.png

Same here - grayed out

post-784-1217789098_thumb.png

Now I can click OPEN

post-784-1217789108_thumb.png

Screen closes, and opens back up like this. With both Phootshop and Pixelmator.

post-784-1217789118_thumb.png

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Once again, thanks for the great app!

The Lorax

Pacifist will allow you to extract to any destination from the installer file. I shoved it into a new folder under Applications and 3DC works just fine, although slowly.

Dragging the cursor around the standard ball object as a quick test, I got gaps in both painted and sculpted strokes. There's a full time render going on in the background, but I expected 3DCoat to be able to simply record the strokes and eventually (after dragging) give me the correct result. Breaking strokes is not nice.

• Advanced Member

First off let me say WOW and thanks I purchased 3d-coat for the PC in the beginning and this program rocks. And now Im really excited because I can run it on my Mac without booting into windows :rolleyes:.

There are a few bugs but im sure you guys will iron them out.

On bug I have noticed is in the retop area. When using the draw lines tool I am unable to complete the final action of pressing enter to create the geometry. Also related to the keyboard is that normally hitting escape durring retopoing or working with the line tools cancels the actions this doesnt seem to be happening.

Ill keep looking for other things but overall the performace is great on my Mac pro.