3DCoat Forums

Free Getting Started tutorial non organic.

cj31387

Hi, I got the trial of 3d coat just now and am looking for a good getting started tutorial series. I want to really learn 3d-coat from the ground up. So far I see a rat from scratch tutorial, but I'm more a hard surface modeler. I have barely any interest in organic modeling. Are there any free tutorial series on like modeling hard surfaces like Guns, robots, spaceships? Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

Psionic is a regular contributor here, and he has some nice tuts. Some cover hard surface material. There are also lots on the 3D Coat Youtube Channel. Make sure to check out the Feature Demos playlist, as there are some topics relating to Hard Surface tools...especially the Pose Tool. It is the modeling equivalent of the "Swiss Army Knife" in 3D Coat. Also, you might want to check out the Tinker Objects, Vox Layer/Vox Extrude, Spline Stroke, Smoothing Options, Brush Smoothing Options, and Kitbashing tutorials.

http://www.psionicga...om/?page_id=393

http://www.youtube.c...r/PILGWAY3DCoat

Edited by AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

Also, you might want to check out the Tinker Objects, Vox Layer/Vox Extrude, Spline Stroke, Smoothing Options, Brush Smoothing Options, and Kitbashing tutorials.

The "Import images as mesh" in the file menu is a good one too.

Nice Psionic's stuff is good, and ill check out those other ones too. About how long do you guys think it will take to learn 3d-coat to be used to most of all the way it works and features, do you guys think? Because I have the trial and want to be pretty capable in 3d-coat before I buy it.

• Contributor

Nice Psionic's stuff is good, and ill check out those other ones too. About how long do you guys think it will take to learn 3d-coat to be used to most of all the way it works and features, do you guys think? Because I have the trial and want to be pretty capable in 3d-coat before I buy it.

Get cracking! Do the whole project tutorials to get an overview and check out the single tool examples of which there are many. How long it will take depends on your industry.

• Reputable Contributor

Does 3d Coat have a feature like zbrush where you can grabdoc an area to create a alpha?

Watch the Inro to 3D Coat playlist (first 4-5, anyway), on the Youtube channel, and one of those will cover creating an alpha from an object.

Is there a way to copy reference image diffuse to your model in paint room easily? For instance say I use a reference image of a gun thats textured. Then model out the gun. Can i go into paint room and apply that gun texture from the reference image like a projection onto the model? Because i based the whole model off the X axis?

Edited by cj31387