3DCoat Forums

little improvement for pen pressure options

Emilio Le Roux

I have a suggestion to help organize how pressure affects brush.

Currently we have this Reaction on Pen Pressure tool. Inside we have the options :

-Alter radius and depth depending on pressure

-Alter only depth

-Alter pen radius, depth and opacity

-Paint with constant depth and radius regardless of pressure

And still there's no Alter only Opacity depending on pressure, or only Opacity and Depth, or Opacity and Radius only. There would be just too many combinations, if you put them all it would be cluttered.

It would be more organized if instead of these different 'reaction combinations', there was just a small icon beside each feature (depth, radius, transparency) which indicates if that feature is affected by pen pressure or not. For example, a small icon of a pen. There are already a chain lock or other icons on the top bar, it's just adding one more.

This would not only get things organized, but also the pen pressure could be extended to affect smooth amount, specular and other features.

Emilio

• 2 weeks later...
Of course! everyone wants 2.10 ready! :)

no rush. Thanks...

I think if there's one thing sorely in need of improvement it's the pen pressure. I use my tablet for everything from modeling, painting, sculpting, and browsing. Currently in order for me to not pour paint over every stroke I have to set the transparency almost all the way to 0. This isn't correct. I get no response with pen pressure at all other then no paint and full paint. Depth works a little better but just painting color is sort of a chore right now. I have to go into Photoshop too often to get the results needed.

This has probably been covered already but just wanted to add to the petition. :) Still a phenomenal program without question. Just need pen pressure control like in photoshop for the painting.

• Advanced Member
I think if there's one thing sorely in need of improvement it's the pen pressure. I use my tablet for everything from modeling, painting, sculpting, and browsing. Currently in order for me to not pour paint over every stroke I have to set the transparency almost all the way to 0. This isn't correct. I get no response with pen pressure at all other then no paint and full paint. Depth works a little better but just painting color is sort of a chore right now. I have to go into Photoshop too often to get the results needed.

This has probably been covered already but just wanted to add to the petition. :) Still a phenomenal program without question. Just need pen pressure control like in photoshop for the painting.

pen pressure control ? Do you mean this(as the picture below) ?

In Vew-Option

post-445-1219878778_thumb.jpg

pen pressure control ? Do you mean this(as the picture below) ?

In Vew-Option

No, the only thing that does is adjusts how sensitive the pen pressure is to applying the paint, depth, etc. For instance the lower the setting the harder I have to push to get full flow. It doesn't modulate the flow based on the pressure.

If you apply light pressure and paint a stroke then paint another stroke next to it with hard pressure the strokes will look the same. One should be lighter based on pressure. Like painting in photoshop with pen pressure enabled.

Hi,

I'm new here and i'm totally with Emilio Le Roux.

I am one of these game artists who are tired of painting most part of the textures in photoshop or others painting software, and still waiting for the perfect one to achieve this.

I've tried all the softs i could find ( deep paint, bodypaint, enzo 3D, and some underground one.. )

They all have great features but not enough to be used in a production environment.

I knew 3D coat a few months ago and give it a real try with the 2.10 release.

Result : Beside the fact than the interface is very very confusing ( i really hope this point will be enhanced ), i've tried since 2 days to create one brush with opacity ( depth? ) pressure only >> fail ! :)

I, too, really really want something similar to photoshop ( i mean "simple as" ) with possibility to create custom brushes with pressure informations inside.

!!

3D coat is not so far to become the best 3D painting tool if these options are added and if the interface is reworked

Diid you chose in the stroke menu (1rst icon on the left tray) the right kind of stroke ?

Yep, but at the beginning, i thought that all the parameters belong to brush were on the right.

This is confusing to have some parameters on the right, and some others on the left and on the top. We cannot create a complete solid brushes with all parameters fixed together. :'(

Diid you chose in the stroke menu (1rst icon on the left tray) the right kind of stroke ?

AHA! Thank you sir. Yes this is what I was referring to. I thought I had the right stroke but I missed the stroke that adjusted opacity as well to pen pressure.

So now I'm a happy camper. :D Thanks!

wow! well done ! :)

If you are interested by some thought about the painting engine, just tell me; it would be my pleasure to help you on the process since 3D coat is a sort of messiah for me in this area :D

Anyway it is interesting to know how it should be done. I am not sure that I can make all immediately, but at least I will knot where I must go. So please describe.

I've just tested the implementation of the separate pressure options, and i think there is some bug :

The presets on the top left seem to be independent and having priority on the new buttons :(

I think you need to reorganize the painting tools and options.

I've just tested the implementation of the separate pressure options, and i think there is some bug :

The presets on the top left seem to be independent and having priority on the new buttons :(

I think you need to reorganize the painting tools and options.

Top left icons are like "presets" of pressure type. You can simply ignore them and use only top small icons..

Yep but, it seems, since i choose one time any preset, i can't play with pressure on the top anymore.

I have tried it in different combinations, but it works as expected. When I press something in 'E' panel it overwrites current states of upper buttons, but anyway I can change that state after that without problems.