3DCoat Forums

Cable

howitzer

Hi everyone, I'm new here and here is my first serious 3d Coat textured thing. It's the head of a character I modeled for a short film. His name is Cable and he was actually modeled twice. The first time I kinda over did it and made him too dense in order to impress people in a certain community. I textured the first model using a complicated method involving Blender, Gimp, and some stock textures from a magazine. It took forever but the results were kinda nice. Here is the first character model.

I had to remodel the character though. After I decided to make a short film with it I realized I would need to have a certain congruent appearance to all of the characters, and I couldn't make every character the same way I made the first Cable without burning out. After remodeling the character (here is an image), which didn't take long, I realized I'd need a program to texture it with. My previous method was just too difficult to do repeatedly for all the characters. ZBrush was too expensive and I didn't want anything holding me back from selling my work in the future if I had to get the student license.

But I knew about 3D Coat the whole time. I wasn't sure about it until now. So here is what I did with it:

post-179-1220597391_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
BTW, what is a cavity map?

It's pretty self explanatory.

If you don't know what a cavity is you should use a online dictionary or google it.

Personally I think everyone should google everything.

It's even in the video section:-

http://www.3dcoat.com/features.html

Please take some initiative in future. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure this dudes a busy man.

Yeah I saw the video. When I first heard of Cavity maps from the zBrush forum I googled it. I think that might have been my source of confusion. Is it safe to say that a cavity map is a high detailed bump map that you add on top of a displacement map? And that cavity painting in 3D Coat is painting in the creases? I think my mistake was thinking it was all the same.

• Advanced Member

How you apply it is up to you. It's generally exported and used as a layer in photoshop over textures to popout details.

I cavity map may look roughly like a displacement and you may get away with using a modifeid displacment map as a cavity map. But using a cavity map as a displacement map would yeald unholy ugly results :P

Displacements simply take the dark/light values from a bipmap to calculate a surfaces details

Ye, I check the video. You can see that he's only effecting the cavities of the geometry, take another gander.

• Advanced Member
Yeah I saw the video. When I first heard of Cavity maps from the zBrush forum I googled it. I think that might have been my source of confusion. Is it safe to say that a cavity map is a high detailed bump map that you add on top of a displacement map? And that cavity painting in 3D Coat is painting in the creases? I think my mistake was thinking it was all the same.

Making a cavity map in 3D-Coat is easy. Follow these easy steps:

-Fill layer with white (spec and depth turned off)

-Change color to black, set masking to More on Cavity.

-Use preview window to adjust cavity settings to your liking.

-Fill or paint black into layer using the cavity settings you chose.

If you want to adjust it further you can sharpen or smooth your new cavity map or even add another pass at a different opacity/different cavity settings. You can also apply a different layer blending mode to see how the map affects your existing texture. Without depth on your model it's hard to say how the cavity tool will work on your model. I would suggest painting some actual depth even if you only output it as a normal map. A few wrinkles around the eyes and mouth will make a huge difference in bringing life to a model.

-Oliver