3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

There's a lot of focus on sculpting and those tools now, not to sound negative or something but i think what's more important for 3DC v3 is the ability to work with low/medium poly models without having to go through the step of subdiving a imported mesh up to millions of polys just to paint textures on it. I wanna have the ability to work with my models as they come, meaning they should be possible to import at their relative low polycount with UV's retained, then to be textured in 3DC by me, and finally to be exported back out again without a 10x increase in polycount on the model. This i think is way more important than these sculpting stuff, at the moment i find it somewhat difficult to put 3DC into my production pipeline because it wanna subdivide the models all the time.

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member
There's a lot of focus on sculpting and those tools now, not to sound negative or something but i think what's more important for 3DC v3 is the ability to work with low/medium poly models without having to go through the step of subdiving a imported mesh up to millions of polys just to paint textures on it. I wanna have the ability to work with my models as they come, meaning they should be possible to import at their relative low polycount with UV's retained, then to be textured in 3DC by me, and finally to be exported back out again without a 10x increase in polycount on the model. This i think is way more important than these sculpting stuff, at the moment i find it somewhat difficult to put 3DC into my production pipeline because it wanna subdivide the models all the time.

/ Magnus

Sorry Maximus3D, but this is not the right place to talk about texturing skills of 3dcoat, cause here is introduced only voxel sculpt stuff.

And anyway, Andrew already told that in the future there will be the option you arer searching, but he cannot do all at the same time, he is still human ( I hope :) )

IMO when someone starts a task, he should finish it before beginning something new, and voxel sculpt is the current task.

• Advanced Member

Umm.. ok, so this is not the place to ask. Then where is the place to ask ? i'm afraid that sculpting will take all the time he has for a long time to come and other things will be pushed off to the side and eventually forgotten. It seems everyone else wants sculpting in 3DC, and they want it right now! i don't care that much about sculpting in 3DC as i have other tools for that. Sorry but no i still think focus is a bit off the target now, that will probably be only my personal opinion and no one elses..

/ Magnus

/ Magnus

I know how is it important and I will make low poly painting anyway. I will not forget it because it is MOST wanted feature.

I know how is it important and I will make low poly painting anyway. I will not forget it because it is MOST wanted feature.

I agree, this feature is very important. I am using 3DC primarily for painting textures for finished models, modeled in third party tools.

The volume skulpting tools are very nice and really impressive. But there are not only needed monsters, animals and humans in the model world...

Thanx Andrew. Take the time for coding, you need.

Regards from germany

Chris

• Advanced Member
But there are not only needed monsters, animals and humans in the model world...

That's why 3DCoat is here :)

I'm modelling organic creatures everyday, but that's not what I am waiting the most from 3DCoat and its voxel modeling.

If you take a look at what can be done with volumetric sculpting and Mechanical stuff, that's pretty amazing.

And I really hope that 3DCoat will bring new tools for sculpting mechanical stuff easily and launch the same revolution that Zbrush was for organic shape.

But the organic side is a must have feature and the first step to reach. After that 3DCoat will reach the sky and even beyond.

Maybe I'm dreaming but why not :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member
I agree, this feature is very important. I am using 3DC primarily for painting textures for finished models, modeled in third party tools.

The volume skulpting tools are very nice and really impressive. But there are not only needed monsters, animals and humans in the model world...

Thanx Andrew. Take the time for coding, you need.

Regards from germany

Chris

I have the same hopes and am holding my breathe and hoping it will come in 3DC 3.0 or earlier. :)

I'm using ALPHA34 WIN and getting consistent crashes - "OUT OF MEMORY" when reloading files.

1. Go to VOXEL Mode and sculpt. Even simple sphere.

2. Use "to polygons"

3. Go to RETOPO mode - retopo or not

4. Save the file at any point

5. Attempt to reload and get the above error

Any ideas? Known issue?

Thanks

The Lorax

I'm using ALPHA34 WIN and getting consistent crashes - "OUT OF MEMORY" when reloading files.

1. Go to VOXEL Mode and sculpt. Even simple sphere.

2. Use "to polygons"

3. Go to RETOPO mode - retopo or not

4. Save the file at any point

5. Attempt to reload and get the above error

Any ideas? Known issue?

Thanks

The Lorax

It will be fixed in today's update. If you have lost something in this way I can recover it (send file me to support).

• Advanced Member
Umm.. ok, so this is not the place to ask. Then where is the place to ask ? i'm afraid that sculpting will take all the time he has for a long time to come and other things will be pushed off to the side and eventually forgotten. It seems everyone else wants sculpting in 3DC, and they want it right now! i don't care that much about sculpting in 3DC as i have other tools for that. Sorry but no i still think focus is a bit off the target now, that will probably be only my personal opinion and no one elses..

/ Magnus

There's already quite a few capable yet affordable 3D-painting applications in the market. With Voxel sculpting however Andrew makes the capabilties of very expensive Voxel-Modeling programs (with equally

expensive haptic controllers) available for a broader userbase (who will soon even be able to use low-price haptic input divices). While this move might change the focus the program originally had when it

started off - I believe that it makes a lot more of sense than concentrating on getting the number one of the - say 10 - 3d-painting program under 1000.

Holger

• Advanced Member

I'm trying transpose on my 18 millions models,it crashes.

I don't think is a transpose fault,as it happens also when:

A)you try to move big parts of the models.

B)you try to use "to poligones" function on them

So,for others people I think the upper limits for mesh are smaller than 18 millions,probably something like 12/14.

Trying with smaller models transpose works well,but I have difficoulties in understandiing how works the different options,I find difficoult selecting only some parts to use for transpose..