3DCoat Forums

Modo and Lightwave offers a robust and efficent UV editor, the best that i've used for now (they are very similar, but i prefer Modo).

Wow I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say anything nice about the LW UV editor. While I love LightWave the one (and only) thing I liked about Max was the UV editor, I found it much more useful. However, a huge improvement on LW UVs is getting the free PLG plugin set. I was actually just now using it for a model that's going into 3DC.

PLG: http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2309

• Advanced Member
Wow I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say anything nice about the LW UV editor. While I love LightWave the one (and only) thing I liked about Max was the UV editor, I found it much more useful. However, a huge improvement on LW UVs is getting the free PLG plugin set. I was actually just now using it for a model that's going into 3DC.

PLG: http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2309

On Flay they says only PC, but on the site there is a mac version. Thanks for sharing these! i'll try them today, i hope the plugin works also with LW 9.6. I'm on Mac, so i havent tried MAX Uv editor.

-TOXE

I don't know about mac, but I'm using it on 9.6 now. Here's how I set up my User Tab, note PLG near the bottom:

2009-01-20_0638.png

Ah what the heck, I'll just attach the tab for you if you'd like to use it, I kept meaning to export it for my laptop anyway. I assume it's the same for macs. If you don't know how just go into the Menu Editor, on the right side right-click Main Menu and pick Import Branch, then browse for the attached file (after extracting the zip). OK I'll shut up now, we're getting off topic.

user_tab.zip

• Advanced Member
I don't know about mac, but I'm using it on 9.6 now. Here's how I set up my User Tab, note PLG near the bottom:

2009-01-20_0638.png

Ah what the heck, I'll just attach the tab for you if you'd like to use it, I kept meaning to export it for my laptop anyway. I assume it's the same for macs. If you don't know how just go into the Menu Editor, on the right side right-click Main Menu and pick Import Branch, then browse for the attached file (after extracting the zip). OK I'll shut up now, we're getting off topic.

Thanks Phil! Good to know that your're a lightwave user;-) I've downloaded today LW 9.6, so i'm still navigating through menus...

-TOXE

I've attached 2 images illustrating some issues I've come across

One is in regard to the rotate/bend function of the transpose tool

The other deals with the "e" panel tools not creating the whole shape drawn.

Also in regard to the "e" panel tools

There seems to be a upper limit on the thickness for each tool.

And this upper limit varies depending on the tool

You can't make a rectangle thicker than 50, an elipse thicker than around 70, etc.

But there definitely seems to be a limit for each tool.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ok, good notes. This should be improved.

Hey TOXE,

I too am a LW user. :)

You're the first person to ever comment on LW having great UV tools, lol. Frankly, they are poor. But luckily PLG is great, and that's all I use currently. Though I'm also looking at eventually getting UVLayout, check it out HERE. Worthy program, especially if you do a lot of UV work.

• Advanced Member
Hey TOXE,

I too am a LW user. :)

You're the first person to ever comment on LW having great UV tools, lol. Frankly, they are poor. But luckily PLG is great, and that's all I use currently. Though I'm also looking at eventually getting UVLayout, check it out HERE. Worthy program, especially if you do a lot of UV work.

Hey geothefaust!

Glad to know another lw user :)

eheh, it's strange but i really like the UV editor in LW. If i'm really the first person maybe newtek can consider me "men of the year"! Thanks for the link, i'll download it, seems very interesting, but it's a stupid thing in my opinion that a standalone UV editor have this price! 3D coat cost only 140 dollars... BTW i'll try it and let you know.

Thanks

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Andrew, sorry to post it here, but because we've starting a discussion about LW and other things i ask you: it's possible to have a Off topic/CG related section in the forum? Ok last off topic post.

Thanks

-TOXE

Thanks for the link, i'll download it, seems very interesting, but it's a stupid thing in my opinion that a standalone UV editor have this price! 3D coat cost only 140 dollars...
Whoa, I had seen that before, but never looked at the price. Plus after the first year you have to pay $50 a year for support!

• Advanced Member

Is this a known issue?:- I quadrangulate my object and everything looks great, I then 'Merge into Scene' for painting but then all the small details are messed up.

It's not something I'm too worried about as I can always add the details later when in painting mode. I just thought I best check on here just to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Any tips?

Is this a known issue?:- I quadrangulate my object and everything looks great, I then 'Merge into Scene' for painting but then all the small details are messed up.

It's not something I'm too worried about as I can always add the details later when in painting mode. I just thought I best check on here just to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Any tips?

I have seen it once, but it should not work in so way. Details must be projected. I will check again.

• Advanced Member
It seems to be the key to the problem. Maybe Q & P works improperly but Q work OK.

In order to paint a vox sculpt, I quadrangulate it then export the .obj then import it into the main scene (sculpt and paint in :brush: )

Maybe there's an easier way. Perhaps I missed some important explanation; for example, can someone explain me what is "quadrangulate and paint"? I only see here "quadrangulate" and "quadrangulate and merge". Where can I find Q&P and what is it supposed to do?

Thanks!

• Advanced Member
In order to paint a vox sculpt, I quadrangulate it then export the .obj then import it into the main scene (sculpt and paint in :brush: )

Maybe there's an easier way. Perhaps I missed some important explanation; for example, can someone explain me what is "quadrangulate and paint"? I only see here "quadrangulate" and "quadrangulate and merge". Where can I find Q&P and what is it supposed to do?

Thanks!

This is what I'm doing:

Quadrangulate your object and then the retopo panel should automatically appear. Select 'Merge into Scene' from the 'Retopo command meu' and accept the default options that appear. Finally click the main paintbrush icon (Draw with pen) and paint away. :)

'Quadrangulate and Paint' still seems a little buggy for me. Just tried it and it was slow to convert, but it may be my system playing up. I'll test again later..

• Advanced Member

QUadrangulate and paint work fast as quadrangulate on my system, but as previous discussed it don't mantain symmetry for now. BTW don't know if on PC there are some difference in the menus.

-TOXE

Differences in Move Tool

The Move tool has always been one of my favorite tools for not only moving voxels around, but also, for adding and subtracting them from a shape.

Since version 50, using the same brush profiles I always use, I am getting very peculiar displacements with abrupt falloff problems. I've tried adjusting both smoothing and falloff values, but I get basically the same distortion problems.

Has anyone else noticed a difference? I, by far, prefer the old behaviour for the Move tool. What I am looking for is very smooth, predictable and flowing movement of voxels - like in the old days.

Andrew, did you change the behaviour of this tool?

Psmith

• Advanced Member
Differences in Move Tool

The Move tool has always been one of my favorite tools for not only moving voxels around, but also, for adding and subtracting them from a shape.

Since version 50, using the same brush profiles I always use, I am getting very peculiar displacements with abrupt falloff problems. I've tried adjusting both smoothing and falloff values, but I get basically the same distortion problems.

Has anyone else noticed a difference? I, by far, prefer the old behaviour for the Move tool. What I am looking for is very smooth, predictable and flowing movement of voxels - like in the old days.

Psmith

Yes I've noticed the same thing. Move Tool doesn't seem as magical as it used to be, back in 43,44,45,46,and47 =) As a result I just started using other brushes instinctively, but I'd like to have it great :lol:

Differences in Move Tool

Psmith

Please show some screenshot or short video of the problem, I have tried mode tool and see no difference.

• Advanced Member
Whoa, I had seen that before, but never looked at the price. Plus after the first year you have to pay $50 a year for support!

I thought similar before using and then quickly buying it. I've never regretted the purchase and am surely going to pay for support. the developer is of a similar calibre to Andrew, and very receptive to user needs. Not to mention the how fast it allows me to work. Its a very serious program at a serious price. It's not as expensive as you make out thing is is that we're spoilt with 3DC :)

I thought similar before using and then quickly buying it. I've never regretted the purchase and am surely going to pay for support. the developer is of a similar calibre to Andrew, and very receptive to user needs. Not to mention the how fast it allows me to work. Its a very serious program at a serious price. It's not as expensive as you make out thing is is that we're spoilt with 3DC :)

Oh I have tried it and admit it works well, just not $1-300 well. $50 maybe. Same goes for Crazy Bump. I love it, but not that much.

BTW to stay on topic I just used 3DC on a project for a client and they were very pleased with the results.

• Advanced Member
V 51 uploaded (win)

Changes:

1) Primitives tool

2) Text tool in voxels

3) Use CTRL in copy tool to copy inwards in copy tool (only outwards was copied before)

4) Bugfixes

5) Spanish translation (slightly unfinished, but will be done soon)

Good! Just yesterday i've tried to create text with voxels...

-TOXE

Move Tool Troubles

Andrew:

Here is a link to a video demonstrating the circumstances of the Move tool problems. You can see that the edges of the moved area become abrupt and jagged, where, in past versions, the transformation was very smooth.

http://www.screencast.com/t/W0UakihZb

Take a look,

Psmith

Strange, I don't have that problem at all. Are you sure you have the right pen selected? For me it works nice and smooth with the pen up in the right corner.

• Advanced Member
This is what I'm doing:

Quadrangulate your object and then the retopo panel should automatically appear. Select 'Merge into Scene' from the 'Retopo command meu' and accept the default options that appear. Finally click the main paintbrush icon (Draw with pen) and paint away. :)

'Quadrangulate and Paint' still seems a little buggy for me. Just tried it and it was slow to convert, but it may be my system playing up. I'll test again later..

Thanks for your reply, splodge, but it doesn't work for me. If I do that, I got a whiter-than-white object on wich I can only paint bump, not color.

By the way, I've finally found "Q&P": in the panel of the french language version "Q&P" is written "quadrangulation" :) (but the rest is in English :D

Ztreem:

Yes, if you watch the short video, you can see that is the alpha shape for the brush that I am using. What is strange is that if I use the same tool on the default sphere, everything seems fine and normal. The difference, as far as I can tell, is that the hand object I made is composed of curves, in addition to the flattened default sphere. It was after I added the curves that the problem developed.

Psmith

• Advanced Member
Thanks for your reply, splodge, but it doesn't work for me. If I do that, I got a whiter-than-white object on wich I can only paint bump, not color.

By the way, I've finally found "Q&P": in the panel of the french language version "Q&P" is written "quadrangulation" :) (but the rest is in English :D

Look into the layers panel and make sure that you're on Layer 1 and not Layer 0 before painting. I had this problem too!.