3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Shame you BOUGHT all those expensive appz and have no clue at all how to use them. A simple interface customization is beyond you? really?? What a pita. rofl....

Grow up, this isnt the place for that sort of childish personal comment.

Andrew: i dont mind either way as long as its good, i was mearly making an observation :), I was using 3DC last night for some texturing work, Do you plan on speeding up the smoothing brush. I'd forgotten to mention it before but it seems to work for short strokes and then get stuck stop moving and max's out the cpu for a few seconds then gives back control. its a bit annoying.

• Advanced Member

I dont think interface discussion is useless, I think we have all seen how important an interface is. Especially in the battle between mudbox and zbrush. Probably one of the only reasons mudbox is successful is that it has an intuitive interface that copys many of its features from existing software designs so that new users arent bombarded by strange new ideas and can get on with work. Sure some people dont like mudbox's interface but I would say there are a lot more people that are really annoyed by zbrushes interface and the amount of learning required to use it.

• Advanced Member
I dont think interface discussion is useless, I think we have all seen how important an interface is. Especially in the battle between mudbox and zbrush. Probably one of the only reasons mudbox is successful is that it has an intuitive interface that copys many of its features from existing software designs so that new users arent bombarded by strange new ideas and can get on with work. Sure some people dont like mudbox's interface but I would say there are a lot more people that are really annoyed by zbrushes interface and the amount of learning required to use it.

I agree, Zbrush interface is terrible in my opinion, i've bought Zbrush some years ago and now i have V3 but i've never used for my professional work because i don't have the time to learn his workflow. With modo, lightwave and 3d coat i've all the things that i need. It's a shame because it's a very powerful software.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Very good point.

Even if I'm used to Zbrush interface, it is far more too complex, they did a very bad implementation of feature.

Just baking maps is a real pain compared to Mudbox.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, still bugs in alpha 61 when try to quadrangulate cloths. I found an interesting thing: when you quadrangulate a cloth in a separate layer with the source object for cloth in an another layer the quadrangulation work incorrectly, especially in the points of contacts, so we have some holes or the geometry completely disappear. I've tried to hide the source object but the result it's the same. The only way to quadrangulate cloth correctly with no geometry trouble is to delete the other layer with the source object.

Let me know if you have any problems with this explanation.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

I guess I'm meant here...

Well I did not say that interface-discussions made no sense.

What I said was that among people with so diverse backgrounds discussions about the visual appearance - about Skins or Graphical User Interfaces are pretty pointless.

The interface - the way I understand it is its underlying logical framework which to my belief is far more important. It provides what is is there in what context (and where) but not how it looks.

Applications like Zbrush or Blender showing a standard Microsoft Visual Studio skin instead of their default GUI (graphical user interface) would not be any easier to grasp for the typical

user with a Ms Windows background! This is because their makers assumptions of a liquid workflow differ quite a bit from "traditional" solutions.

Making 3DC look in the direction of Hexagon or Modo would at that time be nothing but a dress.

It would not help in the matter that still creation, editing and visibility controls are a some places wildly mixed inside the panels of this application.

I'd be curious to investigate questions of workflow opimization and streamlining of commands and editors functionality throughout the different workmodes of 3DC.

I personally however am not interested in a superficial "what skin is best" discussion.

• Advanced Member
I personally however am not interested in a superficial "what skin is best" discussion.

totally agree with you there. When I said interface discussion is not useless, I meant the the way the interface works...the way it looks is a secondary concern and Im not really interested in discussing that. Mudbox and zbrush do very similar things and have very similar tools but present them in very different ways, 3D coat at the moment has the potential to go in either direction. I think its important for the 3D coat users to emphasise how they would expect the application to be laid out to facilitate their workflow but ultimately its up to the developers to make the decisions. We can give our viewpoint and back it up with our reasons based on the way we work but theres no point getting into heated arguements over those things which we dont have the right to decide.

Aww... I think there's a bug or something in the 32 bit version. I had a meeting today about a job and I thought I'd show them 3DC while I was there. So before I left I installed alpha 61 on my laptop. When I was there I launched it and it was really slow, and there were huge pauses where it would get "stuck" after every brush stroke. I tried to load one of the models I had on there and it wouldn't load, 3DC just froze up. Eventually I got it to load, but then I had trouble unhiding some of the objects. Although... Even after all of that they still sounded interested and said they would check it out.

Aww... I think there's a bug or something in the 32 bit version. I had a meeting today about a job and I thought I'd show them 3DC while I was there. So before I left I installed alpha 61 on my laptop. When I was there I launched it and it was really slow, and there were huge pauses where it would get "stuck" after every brush stroke. I tried to load one of the models I had on there and it wouldn't load, 3DC just froze up. Eventually I got it to load, but then I had trouble unhiding some of the objects. Although... Even after all of that they still sounded interested and said they would check it out.

Was you using DX or GL? GL is usually slower on laptops.

I am using 32 bit often (and now 32 bit is my current working version) and it forks fastly (possibly very bit faster then 64 bit)

• Applink Developer

I have also seen this bug. I was working with sculpt under 1M tris and suddenly it just started to run much slower than it should. There was pause when you used extrude tool for example. I'm not able to repeat the problem. I was using 32bit DX version.

• Advanced Member

Been enjoying the progress with V61. I just thought I would say we now have alot of tools for volumetric sculpting but Im not sure how useful some of these tools are. Ive been playing with the surface tools a bit and honestly I dont see the advantage of using them? can anyone show or explain what they would need to use surface tools for?

also when rendering can it be a rendering window so that when you hit the X you go back to 3D coat viewport instead of exiting the whole application?

• Advanced Member
You should try the "ESC" key on your keyboard. ;)

LOL I know about ESC key being what we are supposed to use but that is not common practise in other applications rendering engines, the renderer is always seperate from the main application in other apps, why should 3D coat be different and confuse me by closing when I hit X? haha

at the very least there should be a warning saying "you are about to close 3Dcoat proceed yes or no?"

Man I get busy for a few weeks and come back to see we have some amazing new additions in 3DCoat! Great stuff Andrew, I can't believe you have incorporated such great cloth simulation tools in 3DC in such a short amount of time. You sir, are a genius. :)

PS- I'm really looking forward to testing out your low poly painting tools, it's a biggie. :)

LOL I know about ESC key being what we are supposed to use but that is not common practise in other applications rendering engines, the renderer is always seperate from the main application in other apps, why should 3D coat be different and confuse me by closing when I hit X? haha

at the very least there should be a warning saying "you are about to close 3Dcoat proceed yes or no?"

It says to hit Esc to stop rendering right there on the screen. Though you're right if there is no warning there should be. Although there is one to warn you if your work is not saved. I assume that also would pop up during rendering.

• Advanced Member

Ah, I see.

Yeah, there should be a warning at least.

• Advanced Member
Direct painting development goes well. Now I am able to draw strokes using this technology (much code was written to do this). There are much work, very much should be rewritten, but at least some visible success. I see that at least this painting is faster then current technology.

This is a good news!

-TOXE

Funny how coding works, to me it seems like you had to write extra code to make it work the other way and all you have to do now is take away the extra. I bet you wish it were that easy. ;) Nice to hear it's faster though, can't wait to try it.

Funny how coding works, to me it seems like you had to write extra code to make it work the other way and all you have to do now is take away the extra. I bet you wish it were that easy. ;) Nice to hear it's faster though, can't wait to try it.

All is much more complex. You should add new functionality preserving everything old.

For DP I must rewrite very much code. In most cases it is copy/change some parts but far not always.

• Advanced Member

perhaps next weekend we can try the exciting new technology of painting over low poly!

I hope it:

1) can make displacement and normal map on the fly.

2) can direct project texture to model in texture editor(uv window)

3) can well handle the texture seam.

perhaps next weekend we can try the exciting new technology of painting over low poly!

I hope it:

1) can make displacement and normal map on the fly.

2) can direct project texture to model in texture editor(uv window)

3) can well handle the texture seam.

Of course. The only difference in (1) is that displacement produces normalmap but no visible displacement of geometry in scene occurs. Object in DP don't changes vertices coordinates.

In addition - no more limitations on mirrored or overlapped uv-coordinates.