3DCoat Forums

I just had another driver crash / black screen, so I tried the Alt+Enter technique. I'm afraid it didn't help any. The window kind of shifted so that it filled the screen, but it looked exactly the same, I could even see the title bar and the normal Windows buttons in the top right corner. The only difference was that the X button would not turn red like it normally does. So I hit Alt+Enter again and just fixed it the old way with the title bar double-click.

I just had another driver crash / black screen, so I tried the Alt+Enter technique. I'm afraid it didn't help any. The window kind of shifted so that it filled the screen, but it looked exactly the same, I could even see the title bar and the normal Windows buttons in the top right corner. The only difference was that the X button would not turn red like it normally does. So I hit Alt+Enter again and just fixed it the old way with the title bar double-click.

That driver crash... I never experienced it on my PC (9800GT+Vista64)

So - is it 3DC or card/driver issue? Are you playing any game? Does it happens there?

• Advanced Member

Have you tried disabling windows desktop composition?

That driver crash... I never experienced it on my PC (9800GT+Vista64)

So - is it 3DC or card/driver issue? Are you playing any game? Does it happens there?

Well, I have Unreal Tournament 3 installed, but I mainly just used it for the level editor, though that shouldn't matter since it uses the same display as the game. I just installed this free MMORPG called Runes of Magic last night, I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens.

Have you tried disabling windows desktop composition?

I don't know what desktop composition is. Sorry.

• Advanced Member
Well, I have Unreal Tournament 3 installed, but I mainly just used it for the level editor, though that shouldn't matter since it uses the same display as the game. I just installed this free MMORPG called Runes of Magic last night, I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens.

I don't know what desktop composition is. Sorry.

Its in advance system setting to disable aero. Many graphic cards, driver, applications have problem with vista aero. Hopefully windows 7 will fix most of it.

• Advanced Member

concerning the "freeze" problem....

I'm not sure if this relates and it may have been fixed, but back in the 3D-Brush days I was running a dual monitor setup. If I was doing a long import/export, I would sometimes switch to the second monitor and work a different application, taking focus off 3D-Brush. Then I would notice the import/export seemed to be frozen and clicking on the 3D-Brush application would unfreeze it. So without testing yet, if 3D-Coat is under another window there's a possibility it still has the symptoms I described.

Just thought I'd add this now since the display freeze may also include disk i/o (or maybe the disk i/o is waiting for a display event to finish, which may be the most likely.)

[edit] I should have added that this was on a winXP x64 system (in my signature) and my older graphics card (ati 1900). Also, maybe disk i/o was the wrong term -- maybe just plain cpu work for the import/export was frozen until the display got focus. And it is probably not even related to the freeze being discussed here, but sometimes information like this can help the developer -- if not, sorry.

Oh, and this may apply to the dual monitor support I saw mentioned. Tearing off the various menus/panels to a second monitor would be nice.

Well I didn't see anything about Aero in advance system settings, but I disabled it in the Appearance Settings. I've been using the clone tool (non DP) for 15 minutes or so and have not had any driver crashes yet , however the cursor keeps freezing and twice the whole program has frozen up, all I could do was shut it down and start over. This clone tool thing is weird, it'll be fine everywhere, but then only freeze when I try to paint a certain spot.

Update: Still no driver crash error bubble but the problem still occurs when I leave 3DC alone for a while and come back. The screen doesn't turn black, instead it just shows what I was looking at before. Like it will have the 3D Coat title bar with a frozen picture of my browser for example. (screenshot attached)

post-466-1237835653_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

First I want to say how nice DP is turning out! :good:

Second, I dont know if this is on your list for DP, would it be possible for you to add a "low-res uv texture" toggle for objects that are not currently being painted on and show a low resolution preview? That way i would be able to shift memory resources to just the current object being painted. For example, at work i'm trying to paint a low-res city block (simple objects) but i want multiple 4k maps on the large objects (street, building) and maybe 1k maps on the signs, trash bin, etc. but i run out of memory. (XP 32-bit with 3.5gigs ram and 256mb graphics card)

• Advanced Member
Andrew,

First I want to say how nice DP is turning out! :good:

Second, I dont know if this is on your list for DP, would it be possible for you to add a "low-res uv texture" toggle for objects that are not currently being painted on and show a low resolution preview? That way i would be able to shift memory resources to just the current object being painted. For example, at work i'm trying to paint a low-res city block (simple objects) but i want multiple 4k maps on the large objects (street, building) and maybe 1k maps on the signs, trash bin, etc. but i run out of memory. (XP 32-bit with 3.5gigs ram and 256mb graphics card)

That would be awesome indeed. On a similar note, It would be cool if there were a ghost mode when working with voxels, so that you can see through the ones that you aren't sculpting on. Sometimes I don't want to just hide them outright. It can be very useful to be able to use a transparent or ghosted mesh as reference, especially when dealing with overlapping or intersecting volumes. I use the transparency feature in zbrush quite a bit for this reason. If there's a way to have this improve performance as well that would be even better.

• Advanced Member

Ive got a new pc with vista64 and Im finding that 3dc voxel sculpting is unuseable for me now :( when I hit undo I get big chunks of the mesh dissappearing and then stretching towards the centre of the model

• Advanced Member
Ive got a new pc with vista64 and Im finding that 3dc voxel sculpting is unuseable for me now :( when I hit undo I get big chunks of the mesh dissappearing and then stretching towards the centre of the model

Same here. Yet it's not unusable. Whenever I run into that problem. I Save a new file. Then close the program, open it again. Then if it's still there. I take the sphere brush and draw spheres onto the mesh. Then I undo. After that it tends to work about eighty percent of the time. If it doesn't work, I just try it again and again until it does. And generally it does. It's pretty bad at times. But I think Andrew's going to work on it after the DP is done.

Bug found

import for per pixel painting

get the cube (or whatever)

at this point you can paint on the cube in both the viewport and the texture editor.

save file

open file

you can no longer paint in the texture editor, only the viewport. (sometimes its so you can no longer paint in the viewport just the texture editor)

• Advanced Member
Its in advance system setting to disable aero. Many graphic cards, driver, applications have problem with vista aero. Hopefully windows 7 will fix most of it.

thanks for the tip, i'm not sure about the stability but turning off desktop compositing did speed up 3DC/Modo/Mudbox abit in the area of painting!

• Advanced Member

Big props to geo_n for bringing this up, Aero is a curse on graphic artists in terms of performance. There's also an option available by right-clicking any program or shortcut icon and selecting Properties. In Properties there should be a compatibility tab which may help people with some stability issues on a program-by-program basis without having to change their settings for windows entirely. While running the program it will disable only the settings selected, and restore the default settings when you exit. You can also use it to run programs under simulations of older windows OS if Vista gives you problems.

post-506-1237862015_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Don't ask why, but XSI 7.x requires you to use Aero for somethings...oh why oh why SI did you have to do that! Grrrrrr... Aero is a resource hog AND it can cause problems in all sorts of programs esp. when it comes to the UI...

I'm just wondering if this will be "worked around" in 3DC by Andrew for the unfortunate souls like myself that have to use Aero at times...

• Advanced Member

Yup that's the one that turns aero off. WIth so many computer configuration and drivers here it was better to turn vista aero off because it would cause serious display bugs on different programs. I really hate vista if not for 64bit. I found winxp64 most stable. Hopefully window 7 will be the best.

I've never had any problems with Vista before this and disabling Aero only changes the problem, not solves it. BTW Those compatibility settings are all grayed out for me in 3DC 64 (DX and GL). Is there something I'm supposed to do to enable them?

• Advanced Member
BTW Those compatibility settings are all grayed out for me in 3DC 64 (DX and GL). Is there something I'm supposed to do to enable them?

Are you signed in as an admin? If you are I don't know why they're grayed out, sorry. I used my desktop shortcut for the capture, but I checked the actual apps and they're not gray either.

I also had the driver crash once, the system recovered but the window did not. Andrew suggested the ALT+Enter solution, but I haven't had any problems like that since so I don't know if the solution would work or not.

• Advanced Member
Don't ask why, but XSI 7.x requires you to use Aero for somethings...oh why oh why SI did you have to do that! Grrrrrr... Aero is a resource hog AND it can cause problems in all sorts of programs esp. when it comes to the UI...

I'm just wondering if this will be "worked around" in 3DC by Andrew for the unfortunate souls like myself that have to use Aero at times...

uhm, I never heard of XSI using Aero? I have turned it off and see no issues with XSI? Can you remember what XSI needs Aero for ?

Some good news - at least I have made airbrush tool "as it should be" - it works now as usual brush in PS or so (I mean stroke self intersection).

Also all old tools are implemented now in DP. Vista freeze issue (Task manager etc) is also solved.

It was huge task - almost all was rewritten, because DP is very different from old approach.

I hope I will make update today.

• Advanced Member
What are PC specifications? Are drivers updated?

My new PC is:

quad core q6600

geforce 8800GT 512mb

8GB ram 800Mhz

500GB hdd

windows vista64 sp1

All drivers updated

I am having crashes or freezes from nvklddmd.dll in when I try running games so I might try using some older nvidia drivers tonight and see if that helps. Vista is sooo bad I find it hard to believe this could happen.

anyway well done on the progress with 3dcoat Andrew

• Advanced Member

In the task manager under Perfomance Information and Tools there is an Adjust visual effects option. One of the settings is Adjust for best perfomance. This has solved several issues I had running other programs.

post-1243-1237897117_thumb.jpg

My new PC is:

quad core q6600

geforce 8800GT 512mb

8GB ram 800Mhz

500GB hdd

windows vista64 sp1

All drivers updated

I am having crashes or freezes from nvklddmd.dll in when I try running games so I might try using some older nvidia drivers tonight and see if that helps. Vista is sooo bad I find it hard to believe this could happen.

anyway well done on the progress with 3dcoat Andrew

I am using almost same config but video card (9800GT, but it is almost same as 8800GT)

• Advanced Member
Some good news - at least I have made airbrush tool "as it should be" - it works now as usual brush in PS or so (I mean stroke self intersection).

Also all old tools are implemented now in DP. Vista freeze issue (Task manager etc) is also solved.

It was huge task - almost all was rewritten, because DP is very different from old approach.

Every word from you is good news to me. :)

• Advanced Member
I am using almost same config but video card (9800GT, but it is almost same as 8800GT)

oh ok has vista64 always worked for you? no nvlddmkm.dll crashes? well maybe its just bad drivers so I will try some older nvidia drivers tonight

oh ok has vista64 always worked for you? no nvlddmkm.dll crashes? well maybe its just bad drivers so I will try some older nvidia drivers tonight

Really I NEVER had issues with driver crash. I don't know if it is related, but all Vista aero, shadows etc effects are turned off on my side.

I installed my drivers month ago, only updated CUDA toolkit recently.

Drivers version 181.20

• Advanced Member

You are a genius sir... When can we start paying for this awesome software?

• Advanced Member
In the task manager under Perfomance Information and Tools there is an Adjust visual effects option. One of the settings is Adjust for best perfomance. This has solved several issues I had running other programs.

If you do that then your desktop looks uglier than winxp. Hehe. Most important is the turn off Enable desktop composition.

Sigh...I want winxp64 than vista.