3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
uhm, I never heard of XSI using Aero? I have turned it off and see no issues with XSI? Can you remember what XSI needs Aero for ?

I was having issues using XSI 7.x under Vista64 esp. when using ICE. The ICE layout windows would get all of these graphical errors etc. that made it un-usable. SI support said this was because I didn't have Aero turned on...I turned Aero on and the problem went away. I even updated my video card to see if it was related to it...but nope- same issue regardless of if you're using an Nvidia or ATi Card...

Ok, my comments on this queue. Thanks for deep testing!

First- the layers pallet disappears if I delete a layer even if it's pinned down. It can be brought back up again, but this doesn't seem to be right. This is only in the DX version as far as I can tell.

I have tried to press 'L' and delete layer - dialog really disappears, but if I will pin it down it stays firm. Is it does not works on your side?

Second- bucket fill doesn't work on both sides in symmetry mode. You have to manually fill each side if you've made a separate area to be filled.

It is far not easy to do... But I will think how to do it...

Third- when using the spline tools to draw a curv, brush radius resize via the right and left drag method is disabled, but still works via the top slider input. The radius can also still be resized while right clicking on a node and dragging.

fixed

Fourth- Switching out to another program and back sometimes renders the color picking menus black. Minimizing and maximizing doesn't help. For some reason the program defaults at that point to making both colors black. This can be temporarily fixed by simply selecting a new color, however it re-appears each time I reload 3DC. If I restart my computer then 3DC will show the last used colors.

Was not able to reproduce.

Filth- If I leave the program and go into the task manager 3DC no longer responds and seems to be frozen- even if I leave the task manager. 3DC must be closed by the task manager after that point. This also seems to be a DX version issue.

fixed

Sixth- A brush of any opacity under 100% (1.0) will only lay down that "color" instead of the selected colors transparency layering. So if you have a brush at .5 (50%) and it's solid blue- if you brush over it twice it will not form the solid color selected- only half the hue selected. This doesn't seem to happen in the GL version.

Was not able to reproduce - second stroke always puts more saturation.

Seventh- the sculpt tools will not work on a dp mesh. Not the biggest deal- but might prove useful to have if one is doing morphs with different normal maps etc.

Fixed

Eighth- the place image along spline tools preview color is not nearly as saturated and contrasted as the final output after pushing enter. It also has a tendency to repeat the texture in places that it was not placed.

It multiplies color on current color. Click RMB on right color picker and disable current color.

Ninth- in the texture editor smooth does not work.

fixed

10th- Brush size seems to effect the depth size. Shouldn't these be independent of each other to some greater degree?

Use lock icon near the depth slider.

11th- If you draw a closed shape on your mesh's texture in the texture editor and then try and fill it with the bucket tool you'll get the fill OUTSIDE the are you intended to fill. AKA if you draw a square, try and do a fill inside of it, it will fill the area outside of the square instead.

fixed

12th- The paint brush now shows the alpha in use at 100% before pressing down and painting. It used to show it at something like 33%. This can make it hard to paint on certain areas as you can see where you're first putting you brush down. It appears correctly in the OpenGL version of the Alpha.

not understood.

13th - Using fill with depth seems to produce no results.

It seems to work on my side.

• Advanced Member
If you do that then your desktop looks uglier than winxp. Hehe. Most important is the turn off Enable desktop composition.

Sigh...I want winxp64 than vista.

Microsoft should have a OS version for work and one for play.

• Advanced Member

Ive had aero turned off ever since I installed vista and turned off tablet pc support too, I even clocked my videocard down a small amount just in case it was overheating but havent had any luck stopping the video card drivers crashing. Its wierd but I havent had the card completely crash while using 3D coat even though it crashes in far cry 2 and colin macrae dirt, I just get those wierd chunks of voxel sculpt when I hit undo and then they all stretch towards the centre of the mesh. I will try those drivers your using Andrew and see if I can get the stability you have.

great progress on all those bugs.

Are you signed in as an admin? If you are I don't know why they're grayed out, sorry. I used my desktop shortcut for the capture, but I checked the actual apps and they're not gray either.

Yes I am an admin, and I can check those boxes in the 32 bit 3DC apps, as well as other apps. It seems to be just 64 bit programs that have it grayed out. Strange.

Microsoft should have a OS version for work and one for play.

They do. Vista Business. I'm running Vista Ultimate, one step above Business.

Updated to V68 (Win & OSX)

Awesome! As much as I complain sometimes, I do think you're doing a great job. I just want to see 3DC as good as it can be. I already tell everyone I meet in the business that they should check it out.

Hey Andrew thanks for the fixes of my submitted bugs!

One new bug, my favorite mode for painting is 'view unshaded model'. This mode comes up as transparent. (no texture at all)

Also, these bugs are still alive and kicking:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=16488

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...amp;#entry16584

Also, the bug discussed here:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=16450

does not happen like that any more and what does happen (the freeze) is much less frequent, once every four hours or so. I have not tried out v68 for long enough yet, but it might be completely gone now, will keep ya updated.

Thanks for the fixes!

Awesome. Downloading now...

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any problems with their middle mouse button on their stylus (wacom)? It only does this to me on Vista, but when I'm using 3DC, I use the middle mouse button to pan but when I let go to stop it seems that even though I let go, it is still panning like i"m holding it down. Unfortunately I am not holding it down though and I can't figure out how to solve the issue.

• Advanced Member
Awesome! As much as I complain sometimes, I do think you're doing a great job. I just want to see 3DC as good as it can be. I already tell everyone I meet in the business that they should check it out.

To develop an artist's tool right along with the artists that will use it is still an amazing thing. To do it with such rapidity is sheer wizardry.

I do the same...tell everyone I know. There are a lot of eyes both seen and unseen watching this development.

You go Andrew!

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any problems with their middle mouse button on their stylus (wacom)? It only does this to me on Vista, but when I'm using 3DC, I use the middle mouse button to pan but when I let go to stop it seems that even though I let go, it is still panning like i"m holding it down. Unfortunately I am not holding it down though and I can't figure out how to solve the issue.

No, that's a strange problem. I have an Intuos 3 6x8 and a Graphire 3 4x5. On both of them I use the rear finger button as the MMB and I have not seen this problem. Have you tried updating your Wacom drivers?

not sure about this but I put middle mouse on the stylus eraser, and I use the button up and down on the pen to increase/decrease the pens radius, works like a charm. So when I want to pan I just turn the stylus upside down and hold alt.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

Does displacement map work with direct painting? I tried it on alpha 68 , loaded the low res mesh with subd set to 284,736 polygons. Loaded a depth map into current layer, use default setting, set scale to 52. The result is a high subdivided mesh but without any displacement, looks like a normal map was applied.

Let me know if im doing something wrong or if its not working with DP yet.

• Advanced Member

Freeze tool works perfectly, but on my mac, it has lines that show up in the middle of the freeze stroke (see attached). These lines don't paint.. they just display while the surface is frozen. (changing freeze display mode does not fix this). I supposed this is a minor bug since it affects display and not the functionality of the tool, but if you're looking for bugs...

post-1287-1237920157_thumb.png

hi, on my computer tje brush are a little bit less speed than alpha 67.

in voxel i have a very small lag now and i didn t get it in alpha 67.

And before the build mode with the 3th aplha was able to done a sharp effect, now i found that all the brush are more smooth and don t get the same result in sculting than other preview alpha.

i have remove alpha 68 to reinstall alpha 67 for testing and on my computer a lot of brush are faster but unfortunatly the build brush(my favorite snif ) was realy slow now have don t have the very good effect of the ancient build brush 67 ( don t test it on painting ).

And some brush make highter volume than the before but sometime it s a little bit too much ^^

other people have the same problem ?

i only have 3go ram, perhaps it don t happend on better computer ^^

here is exemple of sculting.

same option , same movement but different result ^^

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8229/sharpz.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7265/smootha.jpg

thanks if some one can help me ^^

PS: I think 3dcoat it really a good soft, continue on that way andrew i don t say thos critics to be unfriendly ; )

• Advanced Member

12th- The paint brush now shows the alpha in use at 100% before pressing down and painting. It used to show it at something like 33%. This can make it hard to paint on certain areas as you can see where you're first putting you brush down. It appears correctly in the OpenGL version of the Alpha.

not understood.

Oh man- how odd...now I can't reproduce it either! It was there for several sessions...turned off Aero....turned Aero back on...now it's gone....

I'll let you know if it comes up again and I'll post screen shots so people know I'm not going mad!

**UDPATE- OK...so now some of my problems are gone after turning off and back on Aero! WEIRD. Vista is, sans the 64bit memory address etc., junk IMHO.

Now when I paint over in the DX beta in DP mode transparency works as it should...**

No, that's a strange problem. I have an Intuos 3 6x8 and a Graphire 3 4x5. On both of them I use the rear finger button as the MMB and I have not seen this problem. Have you tried updating your Wacom drivers?

Yeah, I tried everything I could think of. All updated drivers (except for DX). Turning on/off the tablet pc settings for vista didn't even help. Nothing works. It just sticks.

It's funny, because this doesn't happen in XP at all, lol.

• Advanced Member

Another great update! Thank you Andrew!

Here are some issues to report:

Alpha 68 DX Version XP 32bit CUDA

DP:

The UV will be shattered after sculpting with some tools(Drag with pen, Select/Move, Drag Points) in sculpt mode, won't be able to paint on the correct spot of the mesh after that.

Voxel:

Same brush tip, same painting speed, some tools resulted in dotted line look, please have a look at the attached picture.

post-751-1237940843_thumb.jpg

Regards, akira.

• Advanced Member

tried installing the nvidia 181.20 drivers and Im still getting the video card crashing, it crashed right now while I was writing this and it just exits far cry 2 randomly. I am not happy with vista at all! I had this same graphics card installed on my old xp system and never had a problem.

• Advanced Member
tried installing the nvidia 181.20 drivers and Im still getting the video card crashing, it crashed right now while I was writing this and it just exits far cry 2 randomly. I am not happy with vista at all! I had this same graphics card installed on my old xp system and never had a problem.

Did you uninstall the old drivers first? I found some links through google where people had been having problems with the 8800GT and Vista. Regardless of the issue, the solution always started with completely uninstalling the drivers. Some people also remove the card from the device manager listing to get it rebooted, but that might be a bit extreme. If you've installed the CUDA tools, you may have to uninstall them as well. I really hope you manage to solve this. I have two Vista systems and you couldn't pay me to go back to XP now.

Cheers,

-Oliver

• Advanced Member

I had problems with Vista Ultimate 64 automatically installing a video driver for my nVIDIA card when rebooting after uninstalling the old nVIDIA display drivers. This was before I had a chance to installed the updated drivers. I would go ahead and install the updated drivers, but I still had issues. One of the problems I had was that the OpenGL GPU performance setting in Photoshop CS4 was grayed out. I uninstalled the drivers and booted to safe mode and used Guru3D - Driver Sweeper to remove the nVIDIA display drivers. Then I installed the updated drivers. It fixed the OpenGL issue in Photoshop CS4 and improved my graphic performance in some other programs.

There was a glish, when I rebooted I would get a message that a file wasn't found at startup. I did a search for the message on Google and it was the process for the nVIDIA taskbar to run at startup. The search lead me to a thread that had this fix that worked for me:

"you can disable it from Startup by running "msconfig" and looking for "NvMediaCenter" and unchecking it"

If you want to see if this helps your nVIDIA display driver problems here is the link to Driver Sweeper:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

• Advanced Member

Version. a68 regular. Quadcore intel vista 32bit

Brush creates blockiness sometimes in depth mode when painting across surface at extreme angles.

Smudge tool behaves awkwardly when smudges surface along the edge of the application window. It creates a harsh line for depth or transparency for color.

Keep going Andrew. :clapping:

Andrew,

Does displacement map work with direct painting? I tried it on alpha 68 , loaded the low res mesh with subd set to 284,736 polygons. Loaded a depth map into current layer, use default setting, set scale to 52. The result is a high subdivided mesh but without any displacement, looks like a normal map was applied.

Let me know if im doing something wrong or if its not working with DP yet.

Mesh is not actually displaced. But it is not hard to add it.