3DCoat Forums

Updated to V71 (Win & OSX)

I worked much over DP refinement so that all tools will work in both - 3D and 2D mode. I have improved strokes overlapping, smoothness of strokes in VS.

Also SPACE button works now. Baking VS->DP is also improved much. Seamlessnes in DP is also improved.

Countless of small changes.

Updated to V71 (Win & OSX)

I worked much over DP refinement so that all tools will work in both - 3D and 2D mode. I have improved strokes overlapping, smoothness of strokes in VS.

Also SPACE button works now. Baking VS->DP is also improved much. Seamlessnes in DP is also improved.

Countless of small changes.

Thank you sir! I love the changes you did to the stripes, works beautifully. :)

Trying to figure out my crash problem i realized that my character's eyes and glasses (just rims, no glass) have no UV map, so they don't appear in 3DC unless I turn on the wireframe view, then you can tell where they are. Could that be the cause of the crash? If 3DC thinking I'm trying to paint on a non-UV area? So if I export the UV, create UVs for the eyes/glasses, then import the UVs, it should theoretically work right? Sorry I'm just thinking "out loud".

Edit: Oh wait, 3DC requires UV maps to all have their own material. So even if I fix the UV problem and update, the materials will still be the same. Would it be possible to load the corrected object, then somehow apply my painted layers to it?

• Advanced Member

Testing the new alpha as we speak. Not specific to this alpha but i've noticed that 3DC does not save the Mirror Snapping value in retopo.

I couldn't find this option, but could you add an option to fade between two colors based on pen pressure?

Also, it would be handy to be able to assign a tool to the eraser side of a pen (ie the erase tool on the painting side)

Here's a wacky bug.

I went from the "Cut&Clone" tool in VS to "Increase" brush, and instead of brushing like normal it was using the marquee tool of Cut&Clone but applying voxels according to my Increase brush settings. Weird stuff. Now, while this is a bug, I thought it was actually pretty cool. You could do vents and grills with it easily and quickly. It was also fun. :)

Anway, check out the images to see what I mean. Maybe it could be added as a tool?

EDIT: Actually selecting any tool does the same thing right now, not just the Increase brush.

post-1232-1238534430_thumb.jpg

post-1232-1238534444_thumb.jpg

post-1232-1238534465_thumb.jpg

post-1232-1238534611_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Here's a wacky bug.

I went from the "Cut&Clone" tool in VS to "Increase" brush, and instead of brushing like normal it was using the marquee tool of Cut&Clone but applying voxels according to my Increase brush settings. Weird stuff. Now, while this is a bug, I thought it was actually pretty cool. You could do vents and grills with it easily and quickly. It was also fun. :)

Anway, check out the images to see what I mean. Maybe it could be added as a tool?

EDIT: Actually selecting any tool does the same thing right now, not just the Increase brush.

i think thats a feature, no bug. You need to switch to one of the first 3 brushes in the E-panel. The others will create filled curve meshes (square,round, etc according to your choice in E-panel).

i think thats a feature, no bug. You need to switch to one of the first 3 brushes in the E-panel. The others will create filled curve meshes (square,round, etc according to your choice in E-panel).

Then I guess the bug is that it was working properly. I tried all the brushes and it would not allow me out of that particular mode with out restarting 3DC.

• Contributor

Alpha71dx

Baking VS to Dp much better now,really nice improvement!!! :good:

Still not as nice as microvertex baking,but it is very close to.

Import of external normal maps also works ok on my side!

There is a little new problem with Vs tough

The center of the pens are plagued with a little line...very annoying.

I have know idea why. :blink:

Anyway,Dp seams very near completion to me :brush::yahoo:

I've been wondering if there will be any way to convert the microvertex textures to DP. That could be useful for older projects

sorry is this answer is retarded but just save the texture as high res as you can get. I think thats the best you can do.. then obviously load model back in for pixel painting and load the texture. I guess this assumes you UVed the model, perhaps that is what you are talking about..

sorry is this answer is retarded but just save the texture as high res as you can get. I think thats the best you can do.. then obviously load model back in for pixel painting and load the texture. I guess this assumes you UVed the model, perhaps that is what you are talking about..

Yeah that wouldn't save the layers though, unless I'm mistaken.

• Contributor

I see that Alpha71 is only a 7 day trial.

I HOPE this means the final version, bug free? and working on simple Open GL is just around the corner?

I am too old, and grumpy!, to have used the Alpha yet and have been awaiting this final (documented?) version before attempting a new learning curve.

Fingers crossed!

And the exchange rate, right now, is better than it has been for a while!

Brian

I see that Alpha71 is only a 7 day trial.

I HOPE this means the final version, bug free? and working on simple Open GL is just around the corner?

Brian

No, I can't imagine that the final version is not far away, there are still to much construction fields... I guess, 7 days are not critical. The alpha updates came very periodical, and in short intervals.

I don't see the final before end of summer, this year, maybe christmas. But that's ok, if we get a bugfree and operable version.

Be creative

Chris

No, I can't imagine that the final version is not far away, there are still to much construction fields... I guess, 7 days are not critical. The alpha updates came very periodical, and in short intervals.

I don't see the final before end of summer, this year, maybe christmas. But that's ok, if we get a bugfree and operable version.

Be creative

Chris

I plan to release V3 during May. It is very realistic. This week I will finish DP. I will spend 2-3 weeks over interface reworking, several weeks for final bugfiixing, making manual and promo.

• Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before a million times but with all the quick Alpha releases I'm just installing over previous installs but everytime I have to reset all the keyboard shortcut settings I made from the last time.. EVERY time.

Is there a way to store keyboard shortcuts to a file and to load them in with each new install?

p.s. Great work on the latest Alphas Andrew, Word is spreading around this studio about 3Dcoat.

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before a million times but with all the quick Alpha releases I'm just installing over previous installs but everytime I have to reset all the keyboard shortcut settings I made from the last time.. EVERY time.

Is there a way to store keyboard shortcuts to a file and to load them in with each new install?

p.s. Great work on the latest Alphas Andrew, Word is spreading around this studio about 3Dcoat.

Just store Options.xml.

From the next build installer will not reset this file.

Some good news - 3B file with DP decreased 10 times or even more. If you will rar or zip file it will decrease 3-4 times more.

Storing file is also much faster.

• Advanced Member

Unless you're pulling an Aprilfools joke on us about the releasedate Andrew :) i can't help wondering how you will be able to squeeze out all the bugs and get it stable in time for mid to end of May sometimes. It's not that much time left for you.. say you got two more months to work on it from today.

/ Magnus

Unless you're pulling an Aprilfools joke on us about the releasedate Andrew :) i can't help wondering how you will be able to squeeze out all the bugs and get it stable in time for mid to end of May sometimes. It's not that much time left for you.. say you got two more months to work on it from today.

/ Magnus

2 months is almost year in our scale :)

That is not joke about May even if 1-st April today :)

• Advanced Member

Hehe, great reply Andrew :D true that you do warp time around you which is why it appears that everyone else works superslow while you work superfast. I like that attitude, keep it up Andrew. :)

/ Magnus

expire.jpg

OK I dont understand this at all. Why, when I have a valid license is this expiring? All this means to me is I cant do any work today since im using v67, since the view unshaded model has been broken since then.. please change this policy this makes it very hard on people who are putting their time into beta testing this program. I mean im 90% into a project and now I cant finish until either A) this issue is fixed, which I have asked about for weeks, 2) I purchase V3, while tempting, the real value is the time put into beta testing a program that (like the bug found 2 weeks ago) crashes the computer every 30 min and using the program anyways.

Thanks

expire.jpg

OK I dont understand this at all. Why, when I have a valid license is this expiring? All this means to me is I cant do any work today since im using v67, since the view unshaded model has been broken since then.. please change this policy this makes it very hard on people who are putting their time into beta testing this program. I mean im 90% into a project and now I cant finish until either A) this issue is fixed, which I have asked about for weeks, 2) I purchase V3, while tempting, the real value is the time put into beta testing a program that (like the bug found 2 weeks ago) crashes the computer every 30 min and using the program anyways.

Thanks

-Matt

1) No offense there, but you're making a very poor judgment call buy using ALPHA software in a project with a deadline. Not the smartest thing I've heard of doing. You should know that things change in alpha/beta software testing, you should not rely solely on said versions for your income.

2) So you want to use the software for a PAID project, but you don't want to PAY for the software? That's not fair at best; At worst is stealing. Consider yourself lucky Andrew is doing a public alpha test and that you got to be part of it.

I'd suggest, again, don't use alpha/beta software in a production pipeline there chap. Bad... Bad idea. Also if you plan to test the software, testing older versions isn't going to help progress the software, test the recent version will. If you have a bug that is prohibiting you from testing, you should report it each release, not continue using the older version (because it suits your personal gain).

• Advanced Member
1) No offense there, but you're making a very poor judgment call buy using ALPHA software in a project with a deadline. Not the smartest thing I've heard of doing. You should know that things change in alpha/beta software testing, you should not rely solely on said versions for your income.

2) So you want to use the software for a PAID project, but you don't want to PAY for the software? That's not fair at best; At worst is stealing. Consider yourself lucky Andrew is doing a public alpha test and that you got to be part of it.

I'd suggest, again, don't use alpha/beta software in a production pipeline there chap. Bad... Bad idea. Also if you plan to test the software, testing older versions isn't going to help progress the software, test the recent version will. If you have a bug that is prohibiting you from testing, you should report it each release, not continue using the older version (because it suits your personal gain).

What are you talking about? I use expired trial and beta software all the time for projects with close deadlines. If they don't have a save option I just leave them all open. If I can't save a render frame for animation I just do a screen capture for each frame and then save it from photoshop. I also own 12 computers just for this reason- so I can register 30day trials for 12 months out of the year! Oops...gotta go my XSI trial is about to expire and I'm in the middle of a render...

Just because I pay 10k a year in power and medical bills from the stress this causes and to settle out of court with clients is totally beside the point!

:rofl: