3DCoat Forums

• Contributor

Andrew there is still seams and artifacts when using merge for Dp

It seams it doesn't like all kind of uvs.

Here is an example with Zbrush automatic Auv tiles:

2048x2048

no uvsmoothing

here is uv file in .obj + an external normal map if you want

to test import compatibility with external normal maps(this one is from xnormals)

LOL :drinks:

What are you talking about? I use expired trial and beta software all the time for projects with close deadlines. If they don't have a save option I just leave them all open. If I can't save a render frame for animation I just do a screen capture for each frame and then save it from photoshop. I also own 12 computers just for this reason- so I can register 30day trials for 12 months out of the year! Oops...gotta go my XSI trial is about to expire and I'm in the middle of a render...

Just because I pay 10k a year in power and medical bills from the stress this causes and to settle out of court with clients is totally beside the point!

:rofl:

• Advanced Member
1) No offense there, but you're making a very poor judgment call buy using ALPHA software in a project with a deadline. Not the smartest thing I've heard of doing. You should know that things change in alpha/beta software testing, you should not rely solely on said versions for your income.

2) So you want to use the software for a PAID project, but you don't want to PAY for the software? That's not fair at best; At worst is stealing. Consider yourself lucky Andrew is doing a public alpha test and that you got to be part of it.

I'd suggest, again, don't use alpha/beta software in a production pipeline there chap. Bad... Bad idea. Also if you plan to test the software, testing older versions isn't going to help progress the software, test the recent version will. If you have a bug that is prohibiting you from testing, you should report it each release, not continue using the older version (because it suits your personal gain).

I also agree 1000%

people are too demanding of software developers sometimes and the better the software developer the more they feel like they should demand

always trying to play the software developer like a fool "I'm going to be pissed (not gonna buy) unless u do this"

please :blink:

• Advanced Member
2) So you want to use the software for a PAID project, but you don't want to PAY for the software? That's not fair at best; At worst is stealing. Consider yourself lucky Andrew is doing a public alpha test and that you got to be part of it.

To be fair, he says he has a valid license. He probably just needs to re-enter it. I'd be more interested in the majority of this thread posting screen shots with "trial" labels on the 3d coat titlebar month after month. Come on people... If you use it (especially in production) and expect Andrew to continue developing, you might as well put a tip in the jar. It's rude otherwise... ethical concerns aside.

Consider for a moment you lack any and all ethical principles and you're just concerned about getting 3d Coat. Well. If nobody pays for it, 3d coat will cease to exist entirely as Andrew won't be able to afford to continue to work. You wouldn't be able to abuse the trial version at that point either. You don't want that to happen. Nobody wants that.

Yeah, this argument is made all the time with software like that of MS and Autodesk. Most of the time it's complete BS, but in this case, it's not. Andrew is a full time developer on this project and as such needs to get paid to continue to do that. It's not an overpriced product, either. I think the price is very reasonable for what you get and he has student deals as well.

expire.jpg

OK I dont understand this at all. Why, when I have a valid license is this expiring? All this means to me is I cant do any work today since im using v67, since the view unshaded model has been broken since then.. please change this policy this makes it very hard on people who are putting their time into beta testing this program. I mean im 90% into a project and now I cant finish until either A) this issue is fixed, which I have asked about for weeks, 2) I purchase V3, while tempting, the real value is the time put into beta testing a program that (like the bug found 2 weeks ago) crashes the computer every 30 min and using the program anyways.

Thanks

Excuse, I have set this limitation months ago and it was almost forgotten. I changed time limitiation several alphas ago.

Just download V71 or wait for 72. I will update to V72 today. Unsghaded model will look well there. If you need it just now, I can upload it now.

Every alpha has some time limitation that is moved forward sometimes. V72 will work until the end of May.

Andrew,

Looking forward to testing out 72. I feel like 71 is very solid for a lot of stuff. DP feels great. I haven't seen any bugs (on my end) in a couple of days with it. And since you also fixed the bug with stripes, I have no need for Zbrush!

Thank you sir. :good:

• Advanced Member

Is there a version history available somewhere? The first message in this thread only runs up to version 55. I've missed a few updates (whoa, the speed this program develops!) and would like to check what's new. I can of course swim back this thread and find Andrew's messages, but I was wonderinf if there was some other way, like a readme file somewhere? :)

Is there a version history available somewhere? The first message in this thread only runs up to version 55. I've missed a few updates (whoa, the speed this program develops!) and would like to check what's new. I can of course swim back this thread and find Andrew's messages, but I was kinda hoping there would be a faster, easier way? :)

There is no easy way. I given the task to our staff member to do change list. He will do it in a hour.

• Advanced Member
Is this a known issue? When I Pixel Paint across a sharp edge (of a cube, 90 degree angle), the brush's outer edge "bleeds over" the edge and creates a stretched artefact:

post-1255-1238665507_thumb.png

Because there is no "Pencil Tool" in 3DC, all we have now is "Brush Tool".

Andrew, since 3DC now has "Per Pixel Painting", I think we need a "Pencil Tool" now.

• Advanced Member

Something missing from 3DC is to be able for it to autofit your object in the viewport if you loose track of them in the viewport, it's way to easy to loose your objects and once you do they're pretty much impossible to find again. So some command, button or anything else in the view menu that allows me to quickly locate the model again in the viewport would be helpful. Clicking New to start over from scratch again is not working properly, it never really resets the view back to default as it looks when you startup 3DC the first time with the grid centered in the viewport.

/ Magnus

Something missing from 3DC is to be able for it to autofit your object in the viewport if you loose track of them in the viewport, it's way to easy to loose your objects and once you do they're pretty much impossible to find again. So some command, button or anything else in the view menu that allows me to quickly locate the model again in the viewport would be helpful. Clicking New to start over from scratch again is not working properly, it never really resets the view back to default as it looks when you startup 3DC the first time with the grid centered in the viewport.

/ Magnus

Press HOME

/ Magnus

It may not be exactly what you want, but the "target" icon in the upper right corner will reset the camera back to it's default, so assuming you modeled in the middle of world space the camera will now point right at your object. It would be nice to have a way to center the object without changing the orientation of the camera though.

• Advanced Member
Is this a known issue? When I Pixel Paint across a sharp edge (of a cube, 90 degree angle), the brush's outer edge "bleeds over" the edge and creates a stretched artefact:

post-1255-1238665507_thumb.png

Hey Skaven252, I was going to post the same thing.

I agree that it should be fixed!

And I saw that the load psd file on DP is still broken.

Updated to V72 (Win & OSX)

Changes:

1) Save file size decreased VERY essentially (for DP objects). Speed of saving too. Older files will be accepted, but please don't overwrite old 3B files at least until new 3B format will be tested enough.

2) Mask and materials can be projected and applied in UV layout mode.

3) All modes - low poly view, color only, specular, relief should work fine.

4) Now it is possible to save normalmap with displacement in alpha channel.

5) Normalmap format is slighly changed to be like in usual painting mode.

6) Correct displacement export.

7) Speed of almost all voxel brushes in VS is improvesd (CUDA only). Incorrect work of airbrush fixed - lags and random backside drawing fixed.

8 ) Countless amount of bugs fixed.

I believe this version should be well refined. Tomorrow I will make several final changes to be able to start with interface refactoring next week.

Of course interface refactoring will lead to improvement in all tools that is impossible with current interface.

• Advanced Member
Updated to V72 (Win & OSX)

Changes:

1) Save file size decreased VERY essentially (for DP objects). Speed of saving too. Older files will be accepted, but please don't overwrite old 3B files at least until new 3B format will be tested enough.

2) Mask and materials can be projected and applied in UV layout mode.

3) All modes - low poly view, color only, specular, relief should work fine.

4) Now it is possible to save normalmap with displacement in alpha channel.

5) Normalmap format is slighly changed to be like in usual painting mode.

6) Correct displacement export.

7) Speed of almost all voxel brushes in VS is improvesd (CUDA only). Incorrect work of airbrush fixed - lags and random backside drawing fixed.

8 ) Countless amount of bugs fixed.

I believe this version should be well refined. Tomorrow I will make several final changes to be able to start with interface refactoring next week.

Of course interface refactoring will lead to improvement in all tools that is impossible with current interface.

Congratulations Andrew!!!

Yeah-haaah!

Excuse, I have set this limitation months ago and it was almost forgotten. I changed time limitiation several alphas ago.

Just download V71 or wait for 72. I will update to V72 today. Unsghaded model will look well there. If you need it just now, I can upload it now.

Every alpha has some time limitation that is moved forward sometimes. V72 will work until the end of May.

hey thanks Andrew, this makes it much easier to really test the beta. Thanks again! Oh and as far as "view unshaded" still not working here. just imported the cube for per pixel painting, hit view low poly model, then view unshaded model and this is the result. perhaps this is a video card issue? 8600gts latest drivers.

Oh and I like how preferences and layout are now saved.

Thanks!

red.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Very little testing, but first experience with projecting in UV window is great!

Small bug there, it seems with 'spotty brush strokes'... almost like an overlap,

some areas get erased (see pic). I was using per-pixel painting, and the first Alpha

on the pen tool (DX alpha72 SIMPLE version) with Color only (no bump or spec).

Any chance you can also add an option to include the specular in the alpha of the

normal map as well? :)

post-475-1238688523_thumb.jpg

hey thanks Andrew, this makes it much easier to really test the beta. Thanks again! Oh and as far as "view unshaded" still not working here. just imported the cube for per pixel painting, hit view low poly model, then view unshaded model and this is the result. perhaps this is a video card issue? 8600gts latest drivers.

Oh and I like how preferences and layout are now saved.

Thanks!

I will fix it and re-update in minutes. One shader was forgotten.

• Advanced Member
Congratulations Andrew!!!

Yeah-haaah!

Just tried version 72 and I have a major bug (show stopper). This is on a Dell XPS nvidia 7950 1 gig vram. On opening I get this crazy wire frame circular thing spinning erratically around the center of the screen. It is strange. All the tools work fine but there is this crazy wire mesh spinning. :blink:

post-488-1238688929_thumb.jpg