3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
There is checker in File menu for this purpose. Or you mean including both - displacement and specular?

R - dx

G - dy

B - displacement

A - specular

?

Sorry, Andrew...totally missed it as it has only recently become a need for me....my bad. :blush:

( don't need both, but thanks for asking :D )

Just tried version 72 and I have a major bug (show stopper). This is on a Dell XPS nvidia 7950 1 gig vram. On opening I get this crazy wire frame circular thing spinning erratically around the center of the screen. It is strange. All the tools work fine but there is this crazy wire mesh spinning. :blink:

Ok, that is CAPS LOCK. Don't touch it please. I will remove this show :)

• Advanced Member
Updated to V72 (Win & OSX)

Changes:

1) Save file size decreased VERY essentially (for DP objects). Speed of saving too. Older files will be accepted, but please don't overwrite old 3B files at least until new 3B format will be tested enough.

2) Mask and materials can be projected and applied in UV layout mode.

3) All modes - low poly view, color only, specular, relief should work fine.

4) Now it is possible to save normalmap with displacement in alpha channel.

5) Normalmap format is slighly changed to be like in usual painting mode.

6) Correct displacement export.

7) Speed of almost all voxel brushes in VS is improvesd (CUDA only). Incorrect work of airbrush fixed - lags and random backside drawing fixed.

8 ) Countless amount of bugs fixed.

I believe this version should be well refined. Tomorrow I will make several final changes to be able to start with interface refactoring next week.

Of course interface refactoring will lead to improvement in all tools that is impossible with current interface.

Still can not load displacement map onto mesh and get displacement happening in Alpha 72 for DP...?

:unsure:

• Advanced Member

This new alpha works alot better! thanks for the bugfixes Andrew :) i ran a quick test on a lowpoly shield model in 3DC, painted colormap and normalmaps on it. Worked very well.

3dclowpolypaint.th.jpg

Btw, i'm using a 3dconnexion controller and if i move around a little with it the object never stops moving in the viewport. Or it's VERY difficult to make the object stop moving. Any ideas how to solve this ?

/ Magnus

A couple bugs with Material painting on 2D. just by moving the cursor around, not touching any buttons, the material is bouncing around a bit. Also when you actually do paint with it there are these little distorted spots that appear in the "paint". Here's a video:

http://screencast.com/t/c8xSelF8u

One thing that has bugged me with painting in the 2D Texture Editor is that the brush size is inconsistent. If you make it one size, then switch the the 3D view it becomes HUGE, then you go back to 2D and it's small again.

I want new interface and please do not use this green =) gray+(maybe red or orange or blue).. just my opinion.. because the rest of program is very nice!

Have you seen the Interface Discussion thread?

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...1651&st=260

• Advanced Member
I will do that tomorrow. It is relatively easy thing.

Just can't do all at once :)

Hehe, yeah i thought you forgot about it. I'm looking forward to trying it. BTW the DP is faster also in alpha 72. :clapping:

One thing that has bugged me with painting in the 2D Texture Editor is that the brush size is inconsistent. If you make it one size, then switch the the 3D view it becomes HUGE, then you go back to 2D and it's small again.

Yeah i wonder if there is anything Andrew can do about it? Afterall isn't the UV a 2D flatten representation of the 3D model..maybe by comparing the brush size relative to the 3D model and UV you can construct a much more consistent brush size.

Been using it for a while today. The brushes react reliably and predictably. 72 is kicking butt. :good:

I only had the flatten brush distort the VS a handfull of times. It works much better now.

Yeah i wonder if there is anything Andrew can do about it? Afterall isn't the UV a 2D flatten representation of the 3D model..maybe by comparing the brush size relative to the 3D model and UV you can construct a much more consistent brush size.

Well as a test I made the brush about the same size as my character's mouth (beak really, it's an owl) in the 2D editor, then moved over to the 3D and it was bigger than his whole body. Likewise, if I make it "mouth sized" in 3D then move to 2D it is now about 25% of the size of the mouth.

I want new interface and please do not use this green =) gray+(maybe red or orange or blue).. just my opinion.. because the rest of program is very nice!

The interface already has customizable colors etc, obviously Dark grey is nice for my current UI. But the newer interface will likely be more customizable.

• Contributor

ALPHA72 DX CUDA 64

a little testing here

1)merge for per pixel painting still have huge seams problems

this one is using 3DC automapping

2048x2048 nosmoothing

2)problem with line artifact at the center of pen seams worst in alpha72

it is with airbrush

(default Intuos3 settings)

but beside that problem overall brush feeling is really good

3)Cancel on merge for per pixel painting make 3DC crash

4)Cursor problem when loading .3b is now gone

5)bug when undoing "move to" action is still there

Keep rocking our world! :)

(btw clay surface tool with new graphic card is really cool )

So the alpha testing is almost over does that mean it's time to buy v3! ^^

Andrew mentioned pre-selling it, which I think would be great. I know I'd pre-pay.

I sent in a bug report, but I'll mention it here too. With the character that I've been working on, I thought I would try importing him for DP painting, but after I set the Import settings and click OK 3DC just either freezes or crashes. I've tried several times with different settings. Even changing the original mode from sub-D to polygons and it froze or crashed every time. The original model had a couple object with no UV map, but I also tried a version with everything mapped. It's not all models though, I also tried my building model that I've mentioned here before and that loaded just fine. It looked really good as a matter of fact.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, Finally I be able to do a nice Quadrangulation and merge in to the scene, But I can't not export any of the texture maps, the program crash.

Cuda Version

I even open the model in 3dcoat 2 and do the same and all the texture maps looks gray:(.

Btw this is not DP.

Any anyone have the same problem?

post-426-1238726327_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
ALPHA72 DX CUDA 64

a little testing here

1)merge for per pixel painting still have huge seams problems

this one is using 3DC automapping

2048x2048 nosmoothing

We have addressed and solved this seam problem in our game engine.

The reason of this problem is that those three vectors(Tangent, Binormal, and Normal) are not orthogonal to each other.

To fix this problem, 3DC have to do this after the tangent vector is calculated.

//
    // Re-orthogonalize & normalize
    //
    NgVector3 B; //for the new binormal vector
    for(i = 0; i < pMesh->VertexCount; i++)
    {
        DAEVertex& v = pVertex[i];
        B = v.Normal.Cross(v.Tangent);
        v.Tangent = B.Cross(v.Normal);
        v.Tangent.Normalize();
    }

Hope this helps.

akira.

• Advanced Member
I believe this version should be well refined. Tomorrow I will make several final changes to be able to start with interface refactoring next week.

Of course interface refactoring will lead to improvement in all tools that is impossible with current interface.

Dual display support coming up? Hooray! :yahoo: Andrew, you're like a Genie, whatever people wish for, quickly comes true. :)

Very nice update.

I have a question concerning the "traditional skulpting part" in 3DC:

Will the traditional skulpting functions be improved, too? Like new brushes, faster feedback or a claybrush f.e. etc?

I know that everybody likes the new VS functionality but the traditional skulpting method is still "alive" and sometime needed.

What about this? If I've missed this part of discussion, then sorry please.

Be creative

Chris

A couple bugs with Material painting on 2D. just by moving the cursor around, not touching any buttons, the material is bouncing around a bit. Also when you actually do paint with it there are these little distorted spots that appear in the "paint". Here's a video:

http://screencast.com/t/c8xSelF8u

Is it in DP or old approach?

• Advanced Member

V72 no CUDA, DP

I'm having a lot of slowdowns when painting and I wanted to know if others had the same problem.

Basically, I'm usually at around 90 fps on my current object, then every 2 minutes or so it will suddenly fall down to 14 fps which makes the painting difficult.

I tried changing windows priority to background / application without luck. I tried disabling mutliple CPU optimisation in 3dcoat options and it didn't change either.

Andrew, I was wondering if it had anything to do with UNDO buffer being swaped to disk from time to time or garbage collection? And if there's any way I can avoid that.

I'm currently using a rather old rig for DP. I will test on my 'voxel friendly' PC later to see if there's any difference.

XP32 P4 extreme 3.5 GHz, 4GB ram, 6800 256 MB vram.

Franck.