3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Most of our family feel better. Working is not hard to me.

Nothing can stop the Energizer Dev, he just keeps coding, and coding, and coding... Glad to hear your family is recovering.

I really like the docked palettes, very smooth. Would we be able to use dual monitors with this setup? I actually like the blobs, but it would be nice if they were a bit more uniform (ie depth as a sphere and not a tumor/lump) and maybe added functionality in color blob? I have attached an example below of some new blobs (ok spec is not really that different, hehe) as ideas for making all of them into spheres and setting the color blob to roughly match the currently selected FG color. Apologies for the boring white BG. 2 depth icon examples.

If not lumps or spheres, maybe cubes instead? Too many spheres and people may start thinking of another sculpting app now that I think about it. Hmm. This post is getting less helpful the more I type. Punching out!

post-506-1240050695_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
There is screenshot. Problem - I don't know what to do with 3 blobs (depth color specular). I don't want remove them (useful for new peoples and quick to use, familiar, etc) but they look not pretty. Now all windows are dockable. It was most complex task - change mechanics of dialogs system. Style is not tweaked well, no rooms still, but it are not first tasks on this stage.

If you are concerned about the extra dialogs that don't really fit how about doing this. How about tabbed dialogs like in Photoshop CS3 or 4?? When you hover or click on a tab the dialog pops out. There is an option to set it so it auto collapses if you wish. Keeps the work space very neat and clean.

Pointers are pointers. It is number of pointers in memory. If this value growth much it means there is some memory leak. Agree, it in tot very useful to user...

I would love to see a "Subdivision Level" display given in the same place...

So if i have increased resolution twice, this would be "SubDLevel = 2" Just lets me know where i am, or how many times i have increased res.

Looks not bad.

About the font: I always feel the font in 3DC interface looks not comfortable (like pixel painted text). Maybe this is noting to do with the font itself, but it's the method how 3DC render the font. Any chance let 3DC use system font or create a render method that let the font looks as smooth as the system font?

I couldn't agree more. But I definitely think it has to do with the font itself, too.

I have told to my OS what specific font it should use which means that most applications show that font, and that by itself makes me feel at home right away.

It would be great if 3DC did do the same - show my system font. Or at least let me customize the font so I could change the typeface and size. Right now the default font in 3DC it's too big, it's the wrong typeface (for my taste) and it is indeed aliased.

• Advanced Member
I couldn't agree more. But I definitely think it has to do with the font itself, too.

I have told to my OS what specific font it should use which means that most applications show that font, and that by itself makes me feel at home right away.

It would be great if 3DC did do the same - show my system font. Or at least let me customize the font so I could change the typeface and size. Right now the default font in 3DC it's too big, it's the wrong typeface (for my taste) and it is indeed aliased.

yeah there is something "off" about the fronts used in 3DC, it makes them hard to read in some ways.

• Advanced Member

The clone stamp tool sort of blurs the image it's cloning. Not a lot. But with continued use it does sort of obliterate the usefullness of the clone tool. When I reached the bottom I moved over some and started again from the top, cloning the previous text created. If it can't be fixed in 3d.. It'd be nice if it could be fixed in the the texture editor window.

Also in the texture editor window.. Sometimes I like to paint with the wireframe on and when I adjust the radius size in the texture window it also moves nearest uv vertice. It's a minor problem.

post-1142-1240111958_thumb.jpg

I would love to see a "Subdivision Level" display given in the same place...

So if i have increased resolution twice, this would be "SubDLevel = 2" Just lets me know where i am, or how many times i have increased res.

It would make more sense I think to have this placed in front of the layer name in the Vox Tree.

• Advanced Member

I had the Nvidia Driver Crash again. It seems to be isolated to the GL version, and a google search brought up many posts about similar GL failures in other programs with Nvidia cards. I managed to capture an image of the error this time for whatever it is worth. The GL error is known simply as Error 13.

post-506-1240267161_thumb.jpg

In regard to pointers; is it a bad thing if the pointers are constantly counting down while I'm in Voxel Sculpt mode?

In my latest sculpting session (my first real attempt with 3D-Coat) the pointers reached -176millionpointers.png

I'm on a 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro, 2 GB RAM, 256 MB ATI Radeon X1600 and I've been using the latest alpha (75) of 3D-Coat. Nothing seems to be affected by the pointer behavior, though many of the shaders bring my machine down to < 1 fps

• Advanced Member
In regard to pointers; is it a bad thing if the pointers are constantly counting down while I'm in Voxel Sculpt mode?

In my latest sculpting session (my first real attempt with 3D-Coat) the pointers reached -176millionpointers.png

I'm on a 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro, 2 GB RAM, 256 MB ATI Radeon X1600 and I've been using the latest alpha (75) of 3D-Coat. Nothing seems to be affected by the pointer behavior, though many of the shaders bring my machine down to < 1 fps

Same thing has been happening with pointers to me, including out of memory errors. Machine stats are in my sig (using my laptop). Only difference is I don't have a slowdown with shaders.

Decreasing pointers is a bug, but mainly visual, not real.

• Advanced Member

Per pixel painting question....build 75 simple.

I can only get cavity painting to work on painted bump, not on the geometry like you can with the micro vertex painting. Is it implemented and I'm not seeing it? or just not in yet?

Thanks,

M

• Advanced Member

Another Per Pixel painting question:

I noticed that DP is not so fast... in other words every time I release the mouse button, 3dcoat freezes for a while.

It is really only a second, or maybe half of a second, but because I made a lot of fast strokes, the experience while painting it is frustrating.

It is so boring that actually I am texturing in modo, which has really poor tools if compared to 3DC.

Another thing which should be improved in my opinion, is the color picker: Actually if want to pick the color from an image, you have to open the window which let you choose the color, and then close it.

It should be a lot better if you could pick the color in the whole are of your desktop, with images opened external to 3DC.

Photoshop does it in this way, and it' s a great thing.

Cavity painting doesn't work in DP, but maybe because there is not so much cavity on low res models. Infact should be great if you could paint cavity based on layers set as normal maps

• Advanced Member
Cavity painting doesn't work in DP, but maybe because there is not so much cavity on low res models. Infact should be great if you could paint cavity based on layers set as normal maps

It works if you have at least some bump texture on the model, but it currently doesn't work on (for example) the outer edges of a cube, like it does with subdivided models. Andrew said it's going to be implemented later on. The heights and cavities are going to be calculated by interpolating the normals in DP.

(if I got it right; Andrew correct me if I'm wrong)

I suppose the smoothing groups could also be taken into account when doing cavity painting in low poly DP?

• Advanced Member

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. There's so much in there. (and so much I don't understand lol)

For now what I'm doing is taking the model into 2.10, doing all the model edges with the vertex cavity painting and then exporting the low poly out and bringing it into the alpha DP and finishing it up in there.

Hi Andrew,

I've been trying out the latest alpha and a couple of things occurred.

Useing the 'subtract from' function in the voxel modeling tool isn't undoable, but there's no warning you're doing a non undoable action(haven't tested the other functions for this yet).

When using Retopology and using the add quads tool with the 2 clicks method sometimes it seems to only let me click once and then adds a tri before the second click, this seems to happen randomly.

Finally, more a request than a bug..

Now that you've got the surface tools and voxel tools switching without any lag, would it be possible to have a toggle switch for "voxel/surface style smoothing"? my major headache with voxel sculpting at the moments is if i go to smooth a thin surface, I start punching holes in it.

hope this helps with the development.

Regards,

Heath

Hi,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I tried both of the links to the alpha 75 downloads and they do not work. I receive the following error:

Response denied by WatchGuard HTTP proxy.

Reason: response with content range denied line='Content-Range: bytes 0-92472582/92472583\x0d\x0a'

Method: GET

Host: 85.25.71.225

Path: /files/3d-Coat-3-00-ALPHA75.exe

Is it still possible to download the alpha and try it?

Best,

Erin.

Thanks!

Yes, I am trying to download it from work. I'll ask if there is a restriction on our firewall that prevents it. I'm looking forward to trying out 3DC!

Looks like WatchGuard is a firewall. Are you downloading it at your work or something? If so, maybe you could ask them to allow access.

Welcome to the forum.

Woohoo! Downloading!

Done! It looks great, I was shocked at first. I was all prepared to see the dark UI from the screen shots, but it was light version like I had picked before. Everything seems to be working well.

One thing that keeps happening in 75 and now 76 is that I'm losing the brush cursor. I just have a white arrow (the normal Windows cursor) instead of the yellow circle and I can't do anything on the model (meaning sculpting, painting, tweaking vertices, etc) until I restart 3DC.

UI bug, watch out hen going to full screen mode (Alt+Enter), it gets kind of messed up and won't come back to regular mode. You have to force-quit 3DC. Also don't mess with any of the UI preset files. They messed it up and I had to re-install.