3DCoat Forums

Phil, seems I need this mesh to test. Please send it to me.

OK I sent you a link to the file (sent to support@3d-coat.com). Another bug is related to this. If you load a mesh into retopo with UVs the UVs work fine. Then save the 3B file. When you reload the 3B the UVs are now gone. So I had to send you two files, the 3B and the LWO with the retopo mesh + UVs.

Bug with build 77. Sometimes when changing tabs from voxels or sculpt (poly) the left toolbar will stay for each of those and be underneath the other menus. Only uninstalling and reinstalling works.

Another bug, sometimes when I start up build 77, the left tool bar will be directly in the middle of my screen.

Another bug, sometimes when I start up build 77, the left tool bar will be directly in the middle of my screen.

I saw this happen once as well as some other weird things like the right palettes in places where they shouldn't be. I had to re-install to fix it.

• Advanced Member
What is a shame. Server was down while I was sleeping. Exactly all the time while I was sleeping.

Would it be possible that when the Alpha77 was re-uploaded, those who were using download managers lost their connection to the previous Aplha77 file, and their download managers tried to rebuild the link by continuously querying the server but all failed, that may act like DDoS network attack and forced the server to protect itself by blocking connections.

just an assumption.

akira.

• Advanced Member

Finally got to test build 77. Crashed a few times, but this is work in progress. :) I sent the bug reports, hope they help.

• The dockable windows are cool. Suggestion: when holding down CTRL while dragging the windows the auto-docking could get disabled. Sometimes the windows are too eager to snap into position I don't want them to.
  • No dual monitor support yet? Hope it's coming up. :) I'd love to always have the 2D view open in a secondary monitor.
  • The Stamp mode (E menu) in voxels is cool, but there's one little problem: if you drag the stamp so large the mouse cursor goes outside the model boundary, the stamp disappears. I would sometimes like to apply a stamp larger than that.
  • Found an Undo-related bug in vox sculpt mode:
    1. Go to Voxel mode, sculpt something
    2. Activate Curves tool, draw some curve
    3. Check "Apply to whole curve" checkbox and move the curve.
    4. Undo. The curve's scale drops by half.

[*]Speaking of Curves, it would be cool if the Curves tool had a special "snap to surface mode" that works like the "Draw with splines" tool in paint mode. I mean that in "snap to surface" mode the curve would snap to the surfac of the sculpt, and when moving, the curve nodes would slide along the surface. If "Apply to whole curve" is on, it would slide / rotate /scale the whole curve along the sculpt surface (just like the special buttons do in Paint/Spline mode). This would allow the user to stroke long, controlled curves along the sculpt surface.

[*]Another small curve bug:

1. Go to Vox mode
    2. Draw a curve
    3. Switch to Retopo. The curve is still visible (it serves no purpose in retopo mode, does it?)

• Advanced Member

Alpha 77 with new UI is buggy, 3DC crashed sometimes even without crash report (program closed without any warning) it never happened before until alpha with new UI

• windows docking-snap area is too big it shouldnt snap until very edge of program window
  • when object imported and you are not in paint mode but some other tab (like sculpt or retopo) it will make 3DC crash or break mesh(spiky mesh) after moving between tabs
  • when moving between tabs sometimes whole UI reloads (flickers)
  • color tab has been moved to inconvenient place - color and stroke should be moved to right, top or bottom but not far left
  • 3DC needs new shaders for sculpting mode these ones from Vox are great so maybe we could have some in sculpt mode
  • sculpt and voxel buttons aren't possible to be moved to any position, they are docked to right tab and you can't move them - it's a step back
  • after moving between tabs or when starting 3DC some UI bug appears

ui.jpg

• when pop-window is docked and while we are trying to use popup menu mouse button must be pressed all the time otherwise menu appears in different position when you just single-click
  • 3DC hangs when trying to import big .abr file (like 50MB)
  • top menu menu lags, when you display one top menu and move to another the old one is still visible
  • transparency as a paint option next to bump/color/specularity is needed
  • paint indicators dis/color/specularit don't display selected material anymore even when material is choosen
  • changing icon for perspective/orto when proper cam is on ( now the icon looks same in both modes)
  • I have problem with pivot i sometimes accidentally change it and reset position doesn't always help (maybe possibility to lock pivot)

I hope it helps :)

• Contributor

Andrew, I don't know what you did to alpha 77 but the merging for microvertex painting is fabulous,

it's like on vitamins. :yahoo:

I mean,in all alphas so far I needed to experiment with settings (zbias ect..)in order to get rid of artifacts

when merging and there always seemed to have some artifacts I could'nt get rid of.

But now in Alpha77 it looks very nice and smooth everywhere with default settings. :)

It would be great if you could achieve such quality level when merging for DP.

Andrew, I don't know what you did to alpha 77 but the merging for microvertex painting is fabulous,

it's like on vitamins. :yahoo:

Wow, not for me. Here's the settings I used.

2009-04-26_1045.png

The front of the face is much better, but the back of the head / neck is only a little better.

2009-04-26_1103.png

The CUDA beta driver at the link on the first page is a much older display adapter driver, not only CUDA.

So is each version of 3DCoat going to be locked to a particular driver set? Currently, nvidia is up to 182.50, but the driver for this alpha is 181.20, from several months ago.

I installed all the files as instructed, but then had a complete system lockup trying to update my nvidia drivers back to 182.08.

In other words, will there need to be a new version of 3DCoat every time Nvidia puts out new drivers in order to be able to use the new drivers?

I really don't understand how it all works - the relationship between 3DCoat, the Nvidia display drivers, and the CUDA toolkit.

Thanks to anyone who can answer. :)

What's the deal with level 0 being deformed in new releases? It used to just be a subsurfed version of the original mesh.

This is after merging from voxels. Not loading a base mesh.

I just submitted a bug report. After cleaning up that messy Layer 0 mesh I saved it as a new revision. Then when I try to load that new file 3DC crashes, saying it's out of memory, even though my ram is only 53% used.

• Advanced Member
What's the deal with level 0 being deformed in new releases? It used to just be a subsurfed version of the original mesh.

I have NEVER liked Layer 0. It has only ever caused me problems in the past. I really wish it were either hidden from us and permanently locked. Also while I'm at it painting on New blank layers seems to behave strangely around the edges of a brush. Not sure if transparency in 3dCoat works properly. I'm an artist and not technically minded so I don't know the ins and outs of how it all works but it just doesn't feel as smooth as using Photoshop yet which I guess is the aim for this apps painting.

p.s I'm actually talking about Paint Layers here not voxels sorry..

• Advanced Member

As far as I can tell Nvidia is not "anti-OpenCL" as much as they developed CUDA because nobody else was moving ahead as quickly with such a GPU language at the time. They even state repeatedly on their site that they have very intention of supporting OpenCL, and enabling tools to easily convert CUDA to OpenCL and so on. It's just a tool for pushing their cards esp. in the MRI/science fields. Those people are probably going to be more concerned about a 5% performance drop or gain that anyone else...

Right now they "own" the graphics market due to several previous ATI follies and so it seems they're dictating things. Either way- even if CUDA gives way to OpenCL, I don't see it happening over night, much like OpenGL never fully gave way to DX, and what did give was, at least in "computer time" a relatively slow process to get to the point we are at now.

Besides- just because Apple is at the helm in terms of ultimate control vs. Nvidia doesn't make me feel any better...

The CUDA beta driver at the link on the first page is a much older display adapter driver, not only CUDA.

So is each version of 3DCoat going to be locked to a particular driver set? Currently, nvidia is up to 182.50, but the driver for this alpha is 181.20, from several months ago.

I installed all the files as instructed, but then had a complete system lockup trying to update my nvidia drivers back to 182.08.

In other words, will there need to be a new version of 3DCoat every time Nvidia puts out new drivers in order to be able to use the new drivers?

I really don't understand how it all works - the relationship between 3DCoat, the Nvidia display drivers, and the CUDA toolkit.

Thanks to anyone who can answer. :)

CUDA is NOT going anywhere, Nvidia are well on there way for release of 2.2. And many other releases beyond that.

And have invested way too much time and money on this technology, will not be leaving it or abandoning this tech. So forget what a few LW users don't know.. :)

Andrew should now be able to change the way CUDA is distributed, I believe the latest license allows Andrew to distribute CUDART.DLL with 3DC itself. (As of recently) So Andrew should be able to compile with say the new version 2.2 (beta) and release the CUDART.DLL binary with 3DC, rather than needing us to download the appropriate Toolkit. EULA now gives right to distribute Nvidia libraries. http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compu...EULA_081215.pdf

I'm sure this would be good for Andrew in final release as it would cause less confusion for new and potential customers. Andrew would need to compile 2.2 with 3DC, and then users will already have CUDART rather than downloading the toolkiit in the future. All more modern drivers from Nvidia support CUDA, but the toolkit is still needed (but not really anymore) if Andrew updates 3DC.

So the tookit should only be necessary for developers in the future, Customers will just need Application with CUDA (3DC) and Nvidia drivers for it all to work well.