3DCoat Forums

Hi, I have a very big problem with 3d coat since the soft have new interface.

Sometime ( when i open tool window ) so?e noise begin to appear on my screen and i have king of lightning on the screen.

If i close 3dcoat those noise and lightning don t disapear.

I think it s a problem with my graphic card bud before the new interface i never seen those bug.

The only way to solve the problem is to reboot my computer, but i m a little bit afraid for my graphic card lol.

Someone could help me pls?

ps: I have the last nvidia driver

Updated to V79

Changes:

1) Custom navigation schemes. You can mimick any other package with this tool. My question to all - is there enough actions an conditions to mimick navigation for your fav. app? I can easily add if not enough.

2) 3D-Coat navigation has become more tablet friendly (now you can rotate/scale/move viewport without ALT, but old method works too)

3) Tool parameters are now dockable

4) Gradient/image based/panorama background

5) FOV control on top panel

5) Many bugfixes

ufff... really much work...

Many panorama images could be found there - www.3d-coat.com/files/panoramas.zip - thanks to lc8b105.

It could be cool if you will provide good neytral image backgrounds (what set to default?).

Thanks for testing and for ideas for interface! I am trying to combine them all :)

• Contributor

Looking good!

I'm having problems with shaders in 79.I imported older model and turned on shadows and this happened.Then I closed coat and loaded model again, no shadows, with same result.

post-913-1241116547_thumb.jpg

Well the gradient looks nice. I never really saw the point in it though, just for decoration? Same goes for the line that goes around the outside of the work area. If it were a real 3D camera I would think that's an "animation safe" area, but it shows up in the render.

I see the info is now along the bottom o0f the screen, which makes sense, but there is still a Show Info item in the menus, which does nothing as afar as I can tell.

Background Image and Panorama are nice, but they seem to make the object render semi-transparent (see attached).

Smaller bug, the new buttons for that stuff in the options panel seem to be too big (see other attached).

Great work though!

post-466-1241120950_thumb.jpg

post-466-1241121180_thumb.jpg

Same goes for the line that goes around the outside of the work area. If it were a real 3D camera I would think that's an "animation safe" area, but it shows up in the render.

That's also a "safe" navigation zone, just in case you're too close to the mesh/voxel sculpt and can't see the viewport background. Similar to Zbrush.

Andrew, loving this! Much more stabler then the last build. It looks pretty and everything is nice.

I did find one bug though, with the new style navigation, you can no longer use the "Strokes" retopology tool as it takes control of the viewport when you go to do an edge loop stroke.

• Advanced Member

Regarding the cloned zbrush tablet navigation it resulted in a bug for normal navigation.

Make a stroke on your sculpt and draw it of the model. The moment your cursor hits screenspace your in rotate mode which is very annoying to put it mildly. (strokes started on your sculpt should never be counted as a navigational signal)

Apart from that i cant use directX mode in vista since it has directX 10 and the app searches for a directX 9 dll.

I also have problems with all the menu's (cant move em) but since everyone else seems pretty ecstatic ill reserve judgement till ive played with it some more. (maybe there is something im missing)

GrtZ 3dioot

PS

Running Vista 64bit now.

I come back on that last statement. Seriously nothing works. I keep getting shown an error about painting on layer 0 while ive made a new layer and am working on that (or as a matter of a fact im not because im trying to sculpt). None of the tabs work. I cant resize or move anything. One of the reasons i upgrade my system to a good workstation was for 3dcoat. Does 3dcoat even remotely work under vista? Even the top menu is dead! (file edit view etc) And yes aero is turned of.

------------------------------------------------------

All ui problems i mentioned above solved. 3dcoat needs to be run in administrator mode or it wont function correctly with the above consequences. My error.

You can solve this problem by rightcliking on the 3dcoat.exe of your choice, choosing properties, going to the second tab called "compatibility" and checking the checkbox at the bottom which reads "run this program as an administrator".

Works for me. But you must first install the most recent DirectX drivers. I had the same issue on my Vista64 machine until I did.

Regarding the cloned zbrush tablet navigation it resulted in a bug for normal navigation.

Make a stroke on your sculpt and draw it of the model. The moment your cursor hits screenspace your in rotate mode which is very annoying to put it mildly. (strokes started on your sculpt should never be counted as a navigational signal)

Apart from that i cant use directX mode in vista since it has directX 10 and the app searches for a directX 9 dll.

I also have problems with all the menu's (cant move em) but since everyone else seems pretty ecstatic ill reserve judgement till ive played with it some more. (maybe there is something im missing)

GrtZ 3dioot

PS

Running Vista 64bit now.

I come back on that last statement. Seriously nothing works. I keep getting shown an error about painting on layer 0 while ive made a new layer and am working on that (or as a matter of a fact im not because im trying to sculpt). None of the tabs work. I cant resize or move anything. One of the reasons i upgrade my system to a good workstation was for 3dcoat. Does 3dcoat even remotely work under vista? Even the top menu is dead! (file edit view etc) And yes aero is turned of.

• Advanced Member

Geothefaust,

Thanks for feedback. Will installing latest directX make it backwards compatible again? Worth a shot i guess :)

Ui works fine now. Did you guys check out the navigation options in the upper right? While i personally think the "alt pick point" navigation of 3dcoat is the nicest navigation scheme ive worked with the options you have now are superb! You can even save seperate preset files! Which ofcourse can be made by users and exchanged. So if there is no navigation preset from the app your used to you can just make one and share it! You can also change the fov now! Hurray! :)

I just hope the stroke from model into empty space bug will be fixed then the nav part is dealt with.

Curious to see what other gems i will find. :yahoo:

GrtZ 3dioot

79 works better on my laptop, no more issue with the left side tools, I still have problems with the right side panels though. At one point I could not get any panels to open, either from the menus or their keyboard shortcuts, then I restarted and it worked fine, then I restarted again and now my right panels were stretched out to fill the whole viewport.

I may be wrong, but I think the original method of rotating is missing. Alt Pick Point™ is the closest, but I'm pretty sure in the original method you could continuously hold Alt and create a new pick point every time you put the pen down (clicked).

The Stroke in empty space thing is quite a problem making many of the voxel tools limited or not usable. Like the 2D Paint for example. A big feature of that was painting in empty space. Can't do it anymore. Same goes for Snake and Curve. Using Curves in free space is a big one since that's essentially the 3DC version of Z Spheres.

yeah the new options are very cool Andrew. love the gradient background and all of the new interaction controls.

I've got it set to some kind of hybrid between zbrush and silo and some of your defaults. it's the best of both worlds. I hate having to hold alt all the time and being forced to use the side buttons with some other key combination :P

excellent work.

the UI for that "Customize Navigation" window could use some work though. it took me a while to figure out how to use it properly and how to add new items. the settings themselves are great, but the way they are presented is confusing.

• Contributor

Wow Andrew,what a tremendous amount of work in such a few days.. :o

FOV is a very welcomed addition.

a little bug(I don't know if it's just me so anyone please confirm)

;The Primitives Gizmos doesn't work anymore.

(it's probably related to the problem mentioned earlier that we can't draw on screen anymore)

• Contributor
Try switching to the Maya rotation type. I noticed with that method I could draw in empty space like normal. I tried looking at the custom setup panel, but it's really confusing.

Thanks Phil, that did it :)

• Contributor

Alpha 79 cuda 64 dx

In retopo

all "quads" retopo methods(trapezoid,parralel ect...) have no effects (nothing is drawn on model)

...all other methods seems ok.

On another note:

Andrew,I think we should really hold a key while docking menus, I'm always accidentaly docking menus when I just want to move them around.

Alpha 79 cuda 64 dx

In retopo

all "quads" retopo methods(trapezoid,parralel ect...) have no effects (nothing is drawn on model)

...all other methods seems ok.

Works for me here, but only after I laid down some retopology with another tool. Looks like it needs existing geometry to work off of.

On another note:

Andrew,I think we should really hold a key while docking menus, I'm always accidentaly docking menus when I just want to move them around.

Yeah been thinking on that one today since I downloaded it. I'd like to throw a +1 in for this. Holding a key to either dock or not dock would solve this little issue.

• Advanced Member
Yeah been thinking on that one today since I downloaded it. I'd like to throw a +1 in for this. Holding a key to either dock or not dock would solve this little issue.

yeah another vote for this, accidently docking menus is not cool, just very annoying. a button for this would be cool just hold it down == docking

3dc_ui_bug.jpg

Do you know good method to reproduce it?

I'm still getting this problem in V79 (CUDA 32 DX), sometimes its even worse, because tabs go far east (right), under the light and camera controls. But mostly in the middle of teh screen.

And somethimes i got Instability warning (or even immediate crash without any notice), when I try to dock for example VoxTree panel in Paint mode (layout). Not always, maybe in half of attempts.

I think automatic docking is ok, its just too sensitive in 3DC, it should work on smaller area (closer to edges) or with some delay, lets say 1 or 2 sec.