3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Renderdemon,

You can adjust the navigation scheme by using Customize Navigation, which is found under the Camera Tab by the viewport controls. This will let you set the keys and any modifiers you want.

-Oliver

Thanks Oliver,but actually I find the navigation perfect,it's only the pen behaviour for changing size and strength that is difficoult,as it starts even if I don't want.

Btw,I'll try to change my style in pen holding.

I really don't understand how it's difficult to change the pen strength or radius. Is it really that hard to avoid pushing one of the buttons on the stylus? How about switching it to the other button? Looking at how I hold my stylus I have my index finger just in front of the buttons, barely touching them.

• Contributor

Not only is 3D-coat becoming one of the most versatile apps. out there but in my opinion the prettiest. :good:

Thank you everyone for all the input you've made to 3D-COAT.Being part of this programs development over the last several months has been one of the most fun and interesting things I've done in a long time.

I hope the development continues like this, with the "real time" help of software users, it seems very rare and unusual but very successful.

I remember my first time using 3DC a while back,I played with it for a while and put it on the shelf.Just out of chance I checked back at this site just in time for the voxel development to begin.What a long way it's come!

Great job everyone, especially Andrew for all his dedication and hard work over these last months.

Things can only get better! :yahoo:

Now if everyone would just send me one dollar, I would like to erect a bronze statue of Andrew for display outside the U.N building in Washington.Thank you.

Rick

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the 'little things' in this release - like making the tear-off menus automatically pinned!

I was wondering, in Silo they have a 'Context Help' panel which contains the same sort of things as the hint boxes in 3DC. Have you considered moving your hint text into a panel such as this? I love the popup tool-tips to be on, but it's quite distacting to have a block of text flash on at the bottom while I hover around the UI -- if it were in a panel I could hide it away, but the default workspace would have it docked at the bottom for beginners. Like this:

post-954-1242850812_thumb.jpg

Bugs:

* Double click 'Layer 0' does not allow renaming - although you can rename through the blending panel

* UV tweaking in the 'Texture UV editor' doesn't appear to work - RMB just changes the brush. Can you add a button to switch to tweak mode?

• Contributor
Not only is 3D-coat becoming one of the most versatile apps. out there but in my opinion the prettiest. :good:

Thank you everyone for all the input you've made to 3D-COAT.Being part of this programs development over the last several months has been one of the most fun and interesting things I've done in a long time.

I hope the development continues like this, with the "real time" help of software users, it seems very rare and unusual but very successful.

I remember my first time using 3DC a while back,I played with it for a while and put it on the shelf.Just out of chance I checked back at this site just in time for the voxel development to begin.What a long way it's come!

Great job everyone, especially Andrew for all his dedication and hard work over these last months.

Things can only get better! :yahoo:

Now if everyone would just send me one dollar, I would like to erect a bronze statue of Andrew for display outside the U.N building in Washington.Thank you.

Rick

Classic con, we all troop over to Washington to admire the statue only to be told (in the most withering tones) that the U.N. building is in New Yok! <_<

Thanks for the 'little things' in this release - like making the tear-off menus automatically pinned!

I was wondering, in Silo they have a 'Context Help' panel which contains the same sort of things as the hint boxes in 3DC. Have you considered moving your hint text into a panel such as this? I love the popup tool-tips to be on, but it's quite distacting to have a block of text flash on at the bottom while I hover around the UI -- if it were in a panel I could hide it away, but the default workspace would have it docked at the bottom for beginners. Like this:

post-954-1242850812_thumb.jpg

Yeah this would be great to have. Tool Tips dockable panel.

• Advanced Member

Love the replacement for sliders, what a great way to save space. Beautiful work Andrew! Big thanks to everyone who contributed feedback and suggestions for the UI, it's really shaping up to be the smoothest interface I've ever had the pleasure of working with. In summary, WOW!

• Contributor
Classic con, we all troop over to Washington to admire the statue only to be told (in the most withering tones) that the U.N. building is in New Yok! <_<

Ok we'll have to erect one there too.Although that's gonna double the price so now I need 2 dollars apiece.

• Advanced Member

Fantastic Release this is...

Menus look cleaner, Icons are lovely/readable, Merging objects work, Docking Texture editor now works correctly, Pen presure and mouse click settings (1st 5 icons are now much more readable),

Minor issues I did notice

- More in Cavity selected = Cavity Radius is in the wrong place on the top tab. (It's beside Specularity slider instead of beside Cavity Scale)

- Alt clicking on an eye in the Layers Panel no longer isolates the layer visibility.

- After sculpting on a model that was imported for PerPixel painting then moving to the Render room. The model appeared broken (like random faces missing and texture stretched)

Can't wait for the official 3.0 Release. Consider me a customer. I'm with Tree321 in the excitement level :)

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

thanks for alpha 84, since you have alot of room now, maybe you can move the "pressure not dependent on color" down to near the camera controls.

:yahoo: Whoo! Release is imminent! I bought v2.0 as a sort of pre-order (in my mind) of v3.0 :drinks:

• Advanced Member
I really like the new sliders along the top, a similar idea to LightWave's "mini sliders". However, unlike LightWave they stop at 100%. It would be nice if they could keep going beyond that. Or maybe even better if they could stop at 100, but then by holding a key like Shift or Ctrl they could go past that.

I would like a combo of what goes on in XSI and LW. All the LW slider features you mentioned there PLUS if you go past 100- that becomes the new endpoint of the slider.

So if a slider normally goes 0-1 and I type in/scroll to 3, now 3 will be the sliders new maximum for that session/object/file. Unlike XSI, it would be cool if you could then type in a smaller number and have that as the new "max" too.

• Advanced Member
I really don't understand how it's difficult to change the pen strength or radius. Is it really that hard to avoid pushing one of the buttons on the stylus? How about switching it to the other button? Looking at how I hold my stylus I have my index finger just in front of the buttons, barely touching them.

It's not so easier,if it was easier I will not ask for that(this is a thing I'm thinking since several months)

Maybe it's not fault by 3dcoat,but related to the pen itself,I use that button for navigation,maybe it remains pressed with some delay after I stop navigation and I start sculpting(some times ago I had the same problem with the pen tip when doing strokes and I changed the pen with a new one,honestly with this pen the tip works well).

I have good control of my hands(I play well guitar for example,and I can also draw and paint easily),so I don't think it's my fault.

• Advanced Member

After some more deeper thoughts I think I start to understand better what happen.

I don't use right mouse for radius and brush strength, but [ and ] for size and the slider for the strength.

When I put the pen in the region where the slider is to adjust the strength,after little time I jump on the model and I start sculpting and navigating it.

Here I think that the slider sometimes remains still active,even if I change where I'm on the screen,so this is the reason why the pen button gives me problem.

It's funny, I really meant to actually get some sleep... But instead I stayed up playing with 3DC on my laptop in bed again...

Anyway, I have created for you a custom navigation scheme that is exactly what you're looking for. No longer must you deal with the nagging brush sizing and intensity with the RMB. :)

Download the attached file. RMB will now simple zoom in and out. 'Nuff said, bub. [/wolvie]

After some more deeper thoughts I think I start to understand better what happen.

I don't use right mouse for radius and brush strength, but [ and ] for size and the slider for the strength.

When I put the pen in the region where the slider is to adjust the strength,after little time I jump on the model and I start sculpting and navigating it.

Here I think that the slider sometimes remains still active,even if I change where I'm on the screen,so this is the reason why the pen button gives me problem.

3D_Coat_NoBrushSizing.zip

@ philnolan3d "However, unlike LightWave they stop at 100%"

In Lightwave they stop at 100% too - you can type more than 100%, but from minisliders you get only 0-100%

I stand partially corrected. With some of them you can go over 100%, but you're right, with many you have to type in a number if you want to go higher. Here's an example in FiberFX where you can slide up past 100% or below 0% into the negatives. This is without letting go of the mouse button.

http://screencast.com/t/8vsgMyqvQl

I stand partially corrected too :)

I think in "before 9.x cases" it will be 0-100%. To be honest I think going under and below this should be more like an exception. If not, it means percentage is not well balanced. Or it's badly chosen. In lightwave in few cases you should use 500, 1000 or even 10000% (caustics i think) - thats wrong.

I would like a combo of what goes on in XSI and LW. All the LW slider features you mentioned there PLUS if you go past 100- that becomes the new endpoint of the slider.

So if a slider normally goes 0-1 and I type in/scroll to 3, now 3 will be the sliders new maximum for that session/object/file. Unlike XSI, it would be cool if you could then type in a smaller number and have that as the new "max" too.

Not to drag out this conversation too long... But, I think this is the best way it can be done. Keying will set the maximum the user can slide to. It's simple and intuitive. If you need a value higher or lower then what you have, key it and you have it.

Easy peasy.

It's funny, I really meant to actually get some sleep... But instead I stayed up playing with 3DC on my laptop in bed again...

Anyway, I have created for you a custom navigation scheme that is exactly what you're looking for. No longer must you deal with the nagging brush sizing and intensity with the RMB. :)

Download the attached file. RMB will now simple zoom in and out. 'Nuff said, bub. [/wolvie]

I'm using an old pen tablet.

I tried your NoBrushSizing.navigation.

I can zoom in and zoom out a camera with floating a pen above a plate and holding RMB of a pen during a 3DC cursor is on an object.

I can pan, rotate, zoom in and zoom out without moving a pen to a navigator and an object up and down with that.

Very nice.

I appreciate it.

• Advanced Member

Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor is still broken. Creating new layers in Photoshop or generally reshuffling layers then importing back breaks the Layer structure in 3DC.

It seems this is unlikely to get fixed for the 3.0 release so I'll submit a post in the Feature Requests forum.

Thought this worth a mention however as it is a MASSIVE workflow killer.

• Advanced Member

WOW !!!!!!!!! , 3DC gets better and better with every alpha, new UI looks much better than previous betta (still laggy though :( )

84 RC

--------

* floating windows for retopo,uv,voxels - personally I hate this docked buttons on the left, when you press Spacebar floating window appears but it's gone when you click somewhere.I think it should be possible to "pin" it and have it as a floating window(like in 3DC 2 where it was floating) with hide option for left docked buttons on the left , I find this locked buttons bar user unfriendly

*drag and drop feature for layers movement like in Photoshop

*in layers when you highlight layer old layer is still highlighted - i find it strange it looks like 3DC is going to select both of them

* hide/show 3D grid button needed

*when you click perspective/orto button the button doesn't change appearance (it should)

*when choosing retopo tab whole UI reloads (flickers for one second)

* bug : sometimes objects become transparent and display uv checker grid

*spacebar alternative buttons in paint/displace mode not that useful I'd rather prefer to see there Radius,Falloff,Transparency etc (like in Zbrush) now it displays some colors (?) and buttons which is not that useful

*pen pressure popup should be possible to pin

*edit > option vertical slider - too thin it shouldn't highlight IMO (should be like standard windows one)

*mouse actions are needed (now you have but only connected with WHEEL

please add actions for keyboard button+mouse click LEFT,RIGHT,MIDDLE

with combo possible combinations like ALT, ALT+CTRL,ALT+SHIFT, ALT+CTRL+SHIFT ......... + choosen mouse click

and so on so on with CTRL and SHIFT , you know , all possible combos with ALT,CTRL and SHIFT for all 3DC actions (like in Silo 2.0)

* ZOOM/ROTATE speed adjustment for viewport (essential feature for tablet users)

I hope it's not too difficult :diablo:

*only one color scheme - would be great to load/save options multiple color schemes for 3DC