3DCoat Forums

I'm on Mac so maybe this is already in v87 but it'd be nice for there to be some sort of indication as to which direction the camera is looking when using hot keys to align it: front, back, left, right, top, bottom.

Agreed. If the "Camera" button changed according to what perspective you were in, that would be cool.

• Advanced Member
The tab in the corner has nothing to do with 3DC. It's a vista thing that I cant seem to get rid of.

If you look at the first pic, I imported the model without smoothing. It gave me hard edges, so I took it into sculpt and used the smooth brush to soften the hard edges around the chest area.

I then took the model in to the paint panel and if you look at the chest you can see the wire "protruding" from the mesh. Its a cool effect but not desired.

Yeah just wondering what that little tab was. I was hoping Andrew added a popout menu or something to the UI but no such luck. lol. :) I am on a mac so I didn't know what that was for. Thanks for the explanation!

86RC

--------

3DC becomes extremly slow or non-responsive when big photoshop brush set (.ABR) is imported (like 30MB or more).

Please send me that ABR file, in this case I will be able fo fix it (if possible). All samples that I have are <2 mb.

But anyway, putting 1000 brushes in one folder is not too good idea.

Hi, I`ve just tried my hand on Voxel Sculpting.

When I exported the [LOW]res mesh, as an obj, I can open it in ZBrush.

But when I tried to import the obj back into the sculpting, the program simply froze.

If I want to retopology/sculpt it further/etc, within 3D Coat, what are the steps that I should follow?

THX

• Advanced Member
Hi, I`ve just tried my hand on Voxel Sculpting.

When I exported the [LOW]res mesh, as an obj, I can open it in ZBrush.

But when I tried to import the obj back into the sculpting, the program simply froze.

If I want to retopology/sculpt it further/etc, within 3D Coat, what are the steps that I should follow?

THX

For retopology: Use "File" - "Import" - "Reference Mesh"

For sculpt in voxel model: Go to Voxel tab, Click "Merge" button, click "Select mesh", choose the obj and then hit Enter.

• Advanced Member

V87

I'm trying to load a normal map onto an object in DP mode. The object has 6 materials and when I import a NM texture on a material nothing happens, it just goes back to the 3dview. The NM maps are large, 4k each. Loading displacement maps does work though.

Also lots of crashes in voxel mode when increasing res above 15m. Sent reports about that.

Otherwise great release as always.

Franck.

V87

I'm trying to load a normal map onto an object in DP mode. The object has 6 materials and when I import a NM texture on a material nothing happens, it just goes back to the 3dview. The NM maps are large, 4k each. Loading displacement maps does work though.

Also lots of crashes in voxel mode when increasing res above 15m. Sent reports about that.

Otherwise great release as always.

Franck.

How have you imported normalmaps? Using Textures->Import->Normalmap?

• Advanced Member
How have you imported normalmaps? Using Textures->Import->Normalmap?

Yes.

Found the problem. I appears that the displacement maps were on local drive while the NM maps were on a network drive. Copying the NM file locally worked.

I have no idea why it doesn't import from network drive. .3b files from network drive does load without any problem for instance.

Franck.

• Advanced Member

Found another Cosmetic BUG in Alpha-87[RC]

Setting a hotkey for Export > All Layers Color then using it will result in the 'Select UV-set to export' dialogue box to show twice.

*This doesn't happen if you actually use the Textures > Export > All Layers Color command*

• Advanced Member

V87

After successfully loading my 6 normal maps onto the object, they are all in a separate layers. When trying to merge down the two top layers, the blending mode on the resulting layer is switched to standard blend. But when I switch it back to normalmap all the NM textures disepear (the object becomes all dark).

I tried again, but this time using the Merge Visible command. Again all NM textures disepeard (this time the object is back in gouraud shade with no apparent NM textures on it)

Any way to merge multiple NM layers successfully?

edit: I don't know why NM import on different materials should create a new layer each time btw. When importing displacement it just imports it in the current layer, so why not doing the same thing for NM: the user creates a layer with the NM blending mode, then imports NM texture for each material in the same layer.

Also, generally speaking, the layer operations are very slow at 4k. Hope you can improve that at some point Andrew.

Franck.

• Advanced Member
I found the reason.

Inc resolution allocated too much memory for intermediate stage. I fixed it. It will be in next build.

Great.

Another bug:

As stated in the post above, I've got 6 layers with my NM. If I create a new layer on top of that and paint diffuse color, I get black squares all around my brush stroke. If I hide the new layer, the entire object gets dark and all the NM are gone.

The only layer I can paint in is a color layer that was there before I imported the NM.

Franck.

PS: sorry I'd like to show some pictures but I cannot post them here. I hope my description is clear enough.

quick question, is rendering only with a nvidia card possible?

i only became the empty background (oGL & DX version)

Ah, I'm not the only one with rendering woes. Not only do I only get a black file from a render, the render also crashes 3D-Coat, though with the latest builds it doesn't crash until it casts around 350 rays. Then nothing and I must force quit it.

• Advanced Member

Hi,I have problems running the 32 bit version(cuda) on vista 64, it gives me and error at start.

I have tried the simple version without cuda and it works,there is something in particular to do if I want to run 32 bit cuda version on vista 64?

Bye

• Advanced Member
Hi,I have problems running the 32 bit version(cuda) on vista 64, it gives me and error at start.

I have tried the simple version without cuda and it works,there is something in particular to do if I want to run 32 bit cuda version on vista 64?

Bye

You need to install CUDA 2.2 driver and toolkit.

• Advanced Member
You need to install CUDA 2.2 driver and toolkit.

I have allready installed cuda 2.2 and toolkit (the 64 bit version),I have to install also the 32 bit version?

64 bit cuda works for me,the 32 bit doesn't

• Advanced Member
V87

Any way to merge multiple NM layers successfully?

Franck.

As far as I know you can't do this in 3DC yet.

The way that I do this operation at the moment is to:

1. Edit > Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor and send to Photoshop
  2. select top Normal map
  3. Select blue channel only by going to Channels Tab
  4. reduce the blue channel Output Level from 255 to 128 by running Image > Adjustments > Levels
  5. Set that Layer's blend mode to Overlay
  6. Merge down

If you have done this correctly the two normal maps should be blended correctly.

Remember to Normalize the layer before saving back to 3DC. You can do this by using the NVfilter (Average RGB, Normalize only)

This might seem like a lot of steps but you can actually write a Photoshop Action that will automate the entire process for you and will become a couple of clicks.

Good luck :)

p.s. Just uploading the photoshop action that will automate the steps listed Normalmap_Merge.zip

I have allready installed cuda 2.2 and toolkit (the 64 bit version),I have to install also the 32 bit version?

64 bit cuda works for me,the 32 bit doesn't

Yes If you wish to use both, you will require both be installed...

Hopefully Andrew starts to use CUDA 2.2, and includes CUDART.dll in future versions of 3DC

Mainly so i don't have to answer this question 100 more times.. :)

• Advanced Member

RC 87

------

I like new splash screen, looks really nice and has "pro" feeling :) 3DC made awesome progress in UI, It's so pleasant to work with 3DC now feel better and better,stability has been much improved since last few betas,good job !!!

• in retopo, brush tool doesn't resize when cursor is over retopo( newly created) mesh
  • numbers in numeric input spaces sometimes go through input space borders (cosmetic)
  • In retopo and vox,spacebar displays alternate button pan,you can pin it but you can't move it, I feel it should be drag-able.
    When using alternate button tab(spacebar) there should be possibility to hide/close docked button panel on the left (because there is no need for two buttons panels), use docked one on the left -OR- drag-able when pressing spacebar.
    bugo2.jpg
  • pen panel needs some windows-like navigation,now when folder is created there is no visual feedback (no icon), folder navigation is not user friendly.I know you can access and navigate folders through drop-down menu list but it's not best way to do that.
  • params tool and pen tool needs improvement in rotation - now in 3DC there is no easy or good way to make patterns with satisfactory effects,
    -params tools doesn't like curved areas - equalize doesn't help,pattern get sinked into mesh
    -pen rotatation angle isn't perfect
    bugo.jpg

• Advanced Member
As far as I know you can't do this in 3DC yet.

Good luck :)

p.s. Just uploading the photoshop action that will automate the steps listed Normalmap_Merge.zip

Thanks mate. Unfortunately these NM are onto different materials (3dc did create separate layers for each material although they don't overlap) so that wouldn't help since they don't overlap. Meanwhile Andrew has been working on it so it should be fixed in the next release.

Franck.

params tool and pen tool needs improvement in rotation - now in 3DC there is no easy or good way to make patterns with satisfactory effects,

I was just noticing the tool rotation, normally I have round brushes so I never noticed it, but now that I just made a square pen it's clear that the pen rotates in a strange way depending on the angle of the surface to the camera. Here's a quick video to demonstrate.

http://screencast.com/t/3eLo8oAI