3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew!,

Undo and Smooth seems to be broken in 'Draw with Pen' mode in the latest update.

I hit Undo and nothing happens. At other times undo will cause the entire model to vanish.

Holding the shift key for smooth operation doesn't seem to do anything but draw.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew

I work like 2 hour with the beta here my progress and few bugs.

post-426-1221100406_thumb.jpg

I found it a bit difficult to make small details, we are going to be able to subdivide the model? or that going to be in conjunction with normalmaps?

or ma bey am totally wrong lol.

Bugs

when I save the model an open it again, the Symmetry plane seam to be scale.

The Pinch tool it not working like it should be or mabey i doesn't notice in small areas. It doesn't have the Smooth option like the other tools.

The snake, spike curve, and merge tools are leaving artifacts when you use it with the Ctrl key.

Here is a video capture showing some of the bugs its like 56 megs i think.

<a href="http://screencast.com/t/cCyycyk6t" target="_blank">http://screencast.com/t/cCyycyk6t</a>

I really hope that curve modeling will be expanded in v. 3. 3d Coat can be perfect tool for fast industrial design prototyping - cutting with curves its a good idea, but i think curves needs to be more like in illustrator or - better - like in rhino/moi. Now I, for example, can only draw circle and it cuts a shape. But I need it to make boolean intersect, or move it, or snap to something... But I'm really in this - and will watch this thread very closely. I know majority thinks about it as a free form modeling, but for hard surface prototype modeling, with this price, it will be a gem.

I really hope that curve modeling will be expanded in v. 3. 3d Coat can be perfect tool for fast industrial design prototyping - cutting with curves its a good idea, but i think curves needs to be more like in illustrator or - better - like in rhino/moi. Now I, for example, can only draw circle and it cuts a shape. But I need it to make boolean intersect, or move it, or snap to something... But I'm really in this - and will watch this thread very closely. I know majority thinks about it as a free form modeling, but for hard surface prototype modeling, with this price, it will be a gem.

Curves functionality will be improved very much. At least:

- multi - branced curves with shared vertices

- multi - profile curves - evry vertex in curve has own 3D profile, size, rotation

- procedural layers that consist of curves with boolean add/subtract

• Advanced Member
I have updated the link (ALPHA-05). Actually this is result of one day work because today's work is essentially not finished. I worked over essential improving of transistion speed voxels<->surface but not finished.

Changes of current alpha:

1) Possibility to cut surface like a butter with rectangle/ellipse/curve as it shown below:

CurveCut.jpg

2) First results of surface approach - draw with pen and pinch tools. It is very easy to add full set thete - it will be done soon. But transition surface<->voxels is slighty long.

3) Many bugfixes, better look of red sphere.

About mac - all what is made is absolutely cross-platform, so there is no problem to compile on mac - only bureocracy - send sources to mac guy, put on server...

Maybe I will compile mac version soon also.

Great !

I am trying this alpha, is really funny :)

Anyway I think that, as you told, transition surface<->voxels could be very long on greater surface.

Is not t possible to make standard tools like pinch, pen and smooth working directly on voxels instead of on surface ?

Great !

I am trying this alpha, is really funny :)

Anyway I think that, as you told, transition surface<->voxels could be very long on greater surface.

Is not t possible to make standard tools like pinch, pen and smooth working directly on voxels instead of on surface ?

The transforming of surface will be faster because it will be done only over dodified part of object.

Hi Andrew.

This Volumetric Sculpting is great even in this alpha stage. Good work!

I will like to know this please.

-Do you have plans to add multiple subdivisions like in poly-sculpting..?..So this way work big changes in the lowest subdivision and small details in the highest subdivision...

-Any news about the Move Brush, i`m waiting for that one.....?

Thank you very much and again good work!

I may be misunderstanding one of Andrew's earlier posts. Am I to understand that switching between volumetrics and polys is there but just not fully functional (and I just don't know how to do it), or it's not fully functional yet, but it's also not yet in the versions we downloaded?

Hi Andrew.

This Volumetric Sculpting is great even in this alpha stage. Good work!

I will like to know this please.

-Do you have plans to add multiple subdivisions like in poly-sculpting..?..So this way work big changes in the lowest subdivision and small details in the highest subdivision...

-Any news about the Move Brush, i`m waiting for that one.....?

Thank you very much and again good work!

Now I only know how to increase subdivision level. It is easy and I will make it soon. Decreasing is not so obvious...

About move - it is in process.

Now I am in a short trip, will be back sunday, so there is some small delay.

About surface/vox approaches - you are automatically changing approach while pressng buttons "Pinch" and "Draw" (surface appoach) and other (volumetric approach) Changing voxel->surface is immediate, surface->voxels takes some time.

About surface/vox approaches - you are automatically changing approach while pressng buttons "Pinch" and "Draw" (surface appoach) and other (volumetric approach)

I noticed this during a test earlier today. I used Pinch to sharpen up an area, then when I went back to Carve it seemed to undo the pinch i just made.

• Advanced Member

The pinch act on the triagulated gometry created from the voxels, and pinch it.

When you return in voxels mode, the surface looks smoother, because of the voxel resolution limit.

• Advanced Member

When you return in voxels mode, the surface looks smoother, because of the voxel resolution limit.

i do not like that behavior, because i feel like i have no control over my mesh. Jumping to voxel mode smooth it out..it kind of defeat the purpose of the pinch tool. Pinch area should stay the pinch.

One last thing. the Draw with pen tool, if you hold down Left mouse button over the same area it'll create a spike..that's gotta be a bug? I think it should be consistent like it was in last alpha. Currently, it'll be impossible to paint a level stroke across a mesh.

• Advanced Member
One last thing. the Draw with pen tool, if you hold down Left mouse button over the same area it'll create a spike..that's gotta be a bug? I think it should be consistent like it was in last alpha. Currently, it'll be impossible to paint a level stroke across a mesh.

If i understand correctly, this is how sculpting acts in 2.10. It does make sculpting more difficult.

• Advanced Member

I thought it was just me doing something stupid!

I'm on a Mac so I haven't been able to play with the new alpha, but it definitely happens in Sculpt mode.

I haven't figured a way to control it either.

Basically, you just wind up making a porcupine!

• Advanced Member
This tool is amazing!

It base object imported form ZB.

post-729-1221234590_thumb.png

3.10.00ALPHA-06(DX)

WinXP Pro sp2 32bit

Dual-Xeon3G HT

3G Ram

RadeonX1950

-------------------------

http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/~output/c/3d-coat.html

WOW Man am Diying yo Know how do you did the details of the Fish

Nice work

• Advanced Member
If i understand correctly, this is how sculpting acts in 2.10. It does make sculpting more difficult.

By last alpha i meant 3.0 alpha 05, not 2.10. The "Draw with pen" tool was working in alpha 05 but in alpha 06 you create spikes(while that's useful in some cases). Most of the time you want a level stroke. I'm sure Andrew knows about this bug.

This tool is amazing!

It base object imported form ZB.

post-729-1221234590_thumb.png

3.10.00ALPHA-06(DX)

WinXP Pro sp2 32bit

Dual-Xeon3G HT

3G Ram

RadeonX1950

-------------------------

<a href="http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/~output/c/3d-coat.html" target="_blank">http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/~output/c/3d-coat.html</a>

Amazing work! this should give Andrew some fuel to keep pushing 3DC programming :) How did you make the scales? Ano anatawa nihonjin desuka?

• Advanced Member

Agree with the other here that having the pinch tool seems pretty pointless unless the resolution can handle it. Noting the comment Andrew made regarding jumping back and forth between mesh resolution (like you can in Mud Box), I think its important to have this ability, so I hope Andrew can find a way to implement this.

Now I only know how to increase subdivision level. It is easy and I will make it soon. Decreasing is not so obvious...

Thanks Andrew for the answer. Increase and decrease subdivision levels is an essential feature. I`m glad that you will make the increasing subdivision part soon. I`m hoping you will release the decreasing subdivision section soon as well.

About move - it is in process.

Great. Waiting for that one. ;)

Thanks again.

• Advanced Member
I may be wrong, but the way I understood voxel modeling there's no need to step down the resolution. You're always working at full res. Even when tweaking large areas.

Well its abit tough trying to define what is voxel sculpting. Pure voxel sculpt rely solely on voxel(cubes), but Andrew implementation generates a surface(triangle mesh) on top of the voxel(like the Terrain editing tools in Crysis Sandbox editor).

If stepping up resolution means small triangle, which in turn means i can add wrinkle, pores detail to my mesh..then i'm all for it :) . Obviously the voxel have to be smaller than the triangles..so else it won't work.

To be honest, i do no care what method Andrew uses to get smaller triangles, as long as it add/implemented.

Andrew will prolly do additive detail on the limit surface if possible rather than make voxels higher resolution. It adds up pretty quickly, even with sparse representation. There are prolly some multiresolution voxels papers/algos out there that may be adapted to the purpose and lower the voxel size limit tho.