Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat 3.0 ALPHA

4,487 posts in this topic

Thanks for feedback!

I have got same type of crsh many times (merge mesh). I have fixed it and updated link.

You can merge your own mesh in scene - in current state it should be closed and non - selfintersecting.

Use "Merge->Select mesh" and use pen/move/scale/rotate

in pen mode you need to click, in mrs - press enter to merge actually.

Andrew, great work! Many bugs with merge tool.

1. You can not undo scale,move,rotate operations.

2. Merge, select object, move mesh over sphere, press enter:

<a href="http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=voxel01ry1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=voxel01ry1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=voxel02fx4.jpg" target="_blank">http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=voxel02fx4.jpg</a>

3. Scale, Rotate , Translate handles no do dissappear when you exit Merge tool.

4. Rotation reset: Merge tool , select mesh, rotate mesh, now select scale tool. It should not reset the orientation/rotation.

Hello Andrew.

I found a bug when a spline tube created with the snake tool self-intersect : a hole appear at the intersection.

Same here! It happens with the snake,spike,curves tool ( all 3 )

The 2d paint is nice but you should use another key instead of the RMB to set the plane (maybe Ctrl + RMB) . each time i zoom in the scene, with the RMB a new plane is set...

Totally agree. Also setting new plane with this tool only seem to work within the voxel space, it should work outside of voxel mesh( empty space).

FUN! :)

is that gradient background in 3DC? i don't see any way to turn it on... :o

Thanks Andrew this is fantastic!

It is great that it also works on my trusty old laptop.

post-421-1220692272_thumb.jpg

This is just a quick bubble bear, nothing special, I know but it really got me thinking....

Will you be incorporating a system similar to Zsphere's in ZBrush?

It would be great if you could build characters in this way and then have the form smoothed out and connected.

The smoothing tool could do with being way more powerful on the volumetric sculpting side of things.

(Don't worry, I know this is just an alpha and you are just trying to give us a taste of things to come)

If this keeps going so well It could be the only app I need to create game ready models. :)

Here is a quick monster head.

post-421-1220696930_thumb.jpg

Well done, you Rock!

Yes having both would be needed. we definitely need a way to apply smoothing to the whole surface at least for organic mesh(i won't want a blockly looking mesh). Hope Andrew addresses this issue.

More importantly, in near future update a method for me to bring in my own mesh and voxelize it, maybe thru normal load menu and press on the ice cube?

Nice work Juan, was that made from the default sphere? ;) Your very patient...i'm going to wait until i can important my own mesh before i test it.

Yes it was with the default Sphere lol am going to wait for the mesh import.

Wow! Welcome to the future.

That volumetric sculpting is unbelievable.

I noticed that there is no Move function for dragging the surface around. I know it's only a beta version but I think I can see why Andrew may be waiting to add that function. After thinking about it I realized that it's not going to be easy to add. Dragging a surface around on a polygon model is easy because the application only needs to change the vertex coordinates. Yet dragging voxels around will be totally different. It's going to be more like dragging pixels around on a 2D image.

Still, well done Andrew!. Pixologic is gonna be worried! Maybe they'll buy 3D Coat and change their name to Voxologic?

Wow! Welcome to the future.

That volumetric sculpting is unbelievable.

I noticed that there is no Move function for dragging the surface around. I know it's only a beta version but I think I can see why Andrew may be waiting to add that function. After thinking about it I realized that it's not going to be easy to add. Dragging a surface around on a polygon model is easy because the application only needs to change the vertex coordinates. Yet dragging voxels around will be totally different. It's going to be more like dragging pixels around on a 2D image.

Still, well done Andrew!. Pixologic is gonna be worried! Maybe they'll buy 3D Coat and change their name to Voxologic?

There will be full toolset. Really usual surface functions linke pinch, move, drag are not so easy to do, but I have concept how to do it.

Nothing is impossible!

Andrew can we have a universal manipulator to have Rotate move and scale at the same time when you are in merge and add buttons with Word and local orientation.

Andrew can we have a universal manipulator to have Rotate move and scale at the same time when you are in merge and add buttons with Word and local orientation.

Yes, just show me how it looks (universal manipulator).

I vote for this ability.

I have updated the link. Not much changes, I had only couple of hours today

1) Save/Open works!

2) Possibility to subdivide mesh to merge

3) Better manipuating (local space in scale), not resetting while changing manipulators style.

hey small question here .

does volumetric sculpting will work similarly to metaballs

or z sphere process to build up chataracters from scratch?

Yep. Quite similar to metaballs. But much much better!.

Of course you will be able to make character from scratch. Something like Z-spheres will be a basic functionality. It is almost done via splines. Splines will be multi - rooted. Yo will be able to make any network of splines. In any point you will be able to set shape/size. Z-Spheres are partiaal case of all that.

Yes, just show me how it looks (universal manipulator).

my concept:

picture and video(the way like 3ds Max or other main 3d applications):

universal manipulator will be really good.

We will be still use it to Rotate/move/scale objects whatever which tools is in use.

post-445-1220712422_thumb.jpg

video.zip

Link updated again. Changes:

1) Support of merging self - intersecting objects. But open meshes still not supported (but will).

2) Better snake / spikes - no dirt on self intersection.

3) Support of merging objects with smoothing groups

In the latest update the snake tool comes out blobby instead of a smooth tube. The spike tool still works fine.

2008-09-06_1025.png

I can not wait to see this with symmetry working!

It is going to be amazing.

I think I will probably be checking this thread every day over the next few months!

:)

is that gradient background in 3DC? i don't see any way to turn it on... :o

nope...sorry to get your hopes up...just Photoshop monkeyin.

In the latest update the snake tool comes out blobby instead of a smooth tube. The spike tool still works fine.

Snakes are working smoothly for me...?

Snakes are working smoothly for me...?

I just checked in the very latest , still lumpy. DX & GL versions.

Are u using a tablet?

I tried it with a tablet (Intuos 3 6x8) and mouse with the same result. The first couple of releases worked fine.

I tried it with a tablet (Intuos 3 6x8) and mouse with the same result. The first couple of releases worked fine.

Sorry phil, the latest update works fine for me, no lumps, and Andrew fixed the intersection issue.