3DCoat Forums

Petition for Wacom & Microsoft: Fix Tablets on Win8

• Contributor

I didn't even realize there was a problem with it. I have an intuos 3 hooked up to windows 8 and it works well. I'll be hooking a cintiq up to it soon ... is that where the problem is?

• Contributor

The problem lies with each software, since microsoft retired the wintab service, and if some software still rely on it they don't work.

And OFC wacom & microsoft play pong with their users, wacom blaming microsoft for removing wintab and microsoft saying software makers need to move to the new api.

In any case microsoft did a real mess with tablet support, their integration of flick movements and other "user helpers" is fighting against wacom own drivers.

• Advanced Member

Hey bud,

No need for a petition, Wacom has released the Win8 wintab driver this week..

Tested on the surface pro with a bunch of apps, photoshop, ZBrush.. so far so good.

Head over to the Wacom website and grab the Feel driver, Enhanced Tablet Driver 7.1.1-12

The latest driver they list for me is 6.3.5-3, released back in March Everything works great for me except that there's a slight lag when you first move the pen for a few millimeters, then it's fine after that.

Edit: Oh The new driver is listed if I choose Tablet PC as my model. Not sure if it's a good idea to install that with Intuos 3.

• Contributor

If your tablet works properly under your software don't touch your driver. Piece of advice after a 10+ years of wacom use. Fiddling with that could result in really annoying situations...

If you don't encounter bugs, stick with your driver version, don't go for the "extra stuff". It's not a graphics card that can get performance enhancements and new visual features, you'll probably lose functionality/get annoying quiks more than gain functionalities.

Hey bud,

No need for a petition, Wacom has released the Win8 wintab driver this week..

Tested on the surface pro with a bunch of apps, photoshop, ZBrush.. so far so good.

Head over to the Wacom website and grab the Feel driver, Enhanced Tablet Driver 7.1.1-12

Thanks. But do those drivers work with Intuos? It's not in the Intuos specific drivers, I wont be touching them. Let alone having to troubleshoot any kind of problems that may arise from them.

The real problem lies with what Beat said, and as I said on the Lux forum yesterday, MS drivers are the big problem. You used to be able to turn off a lot of that stuff but now you cannot. Those drivers, which I haven't tried yet, still wont solve that problem. Until MS stops fiddling or at least works with manufacturers with crucial drivers like this, it will never stop.

I like everything in Windows 8 (thanks for the heads up on that Beat), it's a great OS, better than Win7 in many ways. The only exception is this issue.