3DCoat Forums

upgrade V3 to V4

• Reputable Contributor

The new Version 4 is not officially released yet. The version 4 release candidate has been uploaded for testing. The official release should be very very soon barring any major problems according to Andrew.

Link for version 4RC.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&page=1

You have to run the release candidate in trial mode for now...

• Advanced Member

@Giuseppe

Did you expect a deferent statement from a blender user? :)

There isn't any hidden meaning or something.

Andrew (and crew), despite my different ideas on many things, is a brilliant developer.

Some apps may be free but to pay a few money from time to time is good for the heart.

Andrew mentioned the upgrade being $84 for the first month, on his Twitter page.

For some reason when I try to update from V3 to V4 (today) ... and enter my serial number.... it gives me purchase price of $126.... not $84. Any idea why is that so?

• Advanced Member

For some reason when I try to update from V3 to V4 (today) ... and enter my serial number.... it gives me purchase price of $126.... not $84. Any idea why is that so?

Were you upgrading from v3 EDU to v4 PRO? When I entered my v3 EDU serial, it took me to a page that said I would have to pay $84, but didn't say which version I'd be getting, EDU or PRO. I posted a question in the v4 upgrade thread about this a few days ago but haven't gotten an answer yet unfortunately.

• Reputable Contributor

I'll ask Stas to make it more clear to EDU license holders what the upgrade cost is, for EDU to EDU or to Commercial. In the meantime, you can get it straight from him by emailing him directly:

sales@3d-coat.com

Were you upgrading from v3 EDU to v4 PRO? When I entered my v3 EDU serial, it took me to a page that said I would have to pay $84, but didn't say which version I'd be getting, EDU or PRO. I posted a question in the v4 upgrade thread about this a few days ago but haven't gotten an answer yet unfortunately.

I have installed here 3.7 pro version... serial checks out OK.... but there it says $126. I guess I'll email to "sales" - hope to resolve issue that way.

Igor

• Reputable Contributor

I have installed here 3.7 pro version... serial checks out OK.... but there it says $126. I guess I'll email to "sales" - hope to resolve issue that way.

Igor

It doesn't matter which version you have installed. It's what version (EDU or Commercial) you are on record as having purchased. If it was EDU, and you are trying to upgrade to Commercial, then that sounds about right, I guess. That's still about $125 less than you would have paid for a commercial license, outright ($99 for EDU + 126 = $225 < $350). If you had a Commercial license, then yes, something is wrong. But if you had an EDU license, that is a steal. Most folks paid $125 more than you did. And if they purchased before last May, they also are paying to upgrade on top of that.

If you bought an EDU license, just because the serial may check out ok, that doesn't mean you actually have a commercial license. I'm not sure how it works. I've never had an EDU license, but from what I understand there are some limitations imposed on the EDU license. Such as a 7 paint layer limit, and 2k maps. I think Andrew may have lifted part of the limitations a bit, but I think the 2k limit still stands. You can try and see if you can import a model and apply a 4k+ map to it.

To clarify the confusion and miscommunication in this thread, here are the limitations of the EDU version:

Limitation of Education version:
1) no commercial usage
2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048
3) layers amount is limited to 7

Lastly, you may not use it for any commercial purposes.

As for the cost of upgrading an EDU license, looking at:

http://3d-coat.com/buy-now/

Buy links:

Full Professional Win - 349$

Education Win - 99$

Win & (Mac or Linux) - 389$

Upgrade links:

Edu to Prof - 250$

Win to (MacOS or Linux)- 40$

You can see the costs for licenses, upgrades, etc.. The highest cost for upgrading an EDU license to version 4 (while retaining it as EDU and not also upgrading it to a Pro/Commercial license) is approximately $84, and can be lower depending on when you purchased. What ever this $126 cost is, doesn't make sense, even if upgrading to a Pro/Commercial version. The cost to upgrade from EDU to Pro/Commercial is $250.

So either there is some error or there is a miscommunication. Please definitely email Pilgway directly: sales AT 3d-coat DOT com

I'll also point Andrew and Stas to this thread. Sorry for the miscommunication, folks.

Hi all,

I have heard from Stas. The official word, is that the $126 cost is for floating licenses only. So if you're upgrading, and you know you didn't purchase a floating license originally but rather an EDU license, please contact sales directly: sales AT 3d-coat DOT com

There is no specific link for it, per se. But it can be done through the link above (also here: http://3d-coat.com/buy-now/ ).

It would cost an extra $40 for the Linux license, as normal.

First you would upgrade your license to v4, then use the upgrade link for obtaining a Mac or Linux license here:

https://www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.jsp?contractId=3183202&referrer=yanev

That'll upgrade to v4, and get your a Linux license.